Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dickerty wrote: »
    Would be really weird if it was about Arsenal. If they did approach him and he told Klopp he was interested, I am CERTAIN that Klopp would have said he was delighted for him, and we'll take about it in 4 weeks. Why get distracted now?

I don't think it would be that simple. Conversations about transfer targets, for instance, immediately become problematic. It would be strange not to have someone in his senior position on gardening leave from the moment he announces he's off to an even more senior position at a rival organization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    What's the craic with Mane? I haven't been keeping up.

That's no shame tbh, he's pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The over optimism for tomo night is as bad, if not worse, than the pessimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kinda feel bad for him it's gone to a blazing row, he's going to Arsenal and visiting a sick dad in a day. Hope Klopp clears it up a bit even if he says what it isn't it would help.

Squad for tomorrow's game:

Goalkeepers: Karius, Mignolet, Ward

Defenders: Van Dijk, Lovren, Klavan, Masterson, Alexander-Arnold, Clyne, Robertson, Moreno

Midfielders: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, Woodburn, Jones

Forwards: Firmino, Salah, Mane, Ings, Solanke, Camacho

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/05/liverpool-confirm-23-man-travelling-squad-for-champions-league-decider-at-roma/

Lallana is back, although doubt he'll play. Gomez is injured. Perhaps rushed back too soon. He was pretty poor at the weekend, so that might explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    That's no shame tbh, he's pretty quick.

Pretty quick yerself there, Nex/K-Nex! (is it a silent K?)

corwill wrote: »
    I don't think it would be that simple. Conversations about transfer targets, for instance, immediately become problematic. It would be strange not to have someone in his senior position on gardening leave from the moment he announces he's off to an even more senior position at a rival organization.

Yeh, you may have a point. But it's a big jump from #2 anywhere to #1 at a top club like that. I would have thought they'd want someone with some years of dealing with that pressure at a serious level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Given the way it has been handled thus far, all three possibilities (bust up / personal issues / job offer) are in play. I'd imagine it will start to distill over the coming couple of days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well I certainly am not worried about tomorrow night.

In fact I think we will steamroller them. Get down to PP and thank me later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pepp1989 wrote: »

Why?

They have a 3 goal advantage. Why be pessimistic?

Why follow a team if you put yourself through agony of thnking they're going to lose all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why?

They have a 3 goal advantage. Why be pessimistic?

Why follow a team if you put yourself through agony of thnking they're going to lose all the time?

You're following the wrong team then if you aren't expecting to be kicked in the guts at key points!

5starpool wrote: »
    You're following the wrong team then if you aren't expecting to be kicked in the guts at key points!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »

Of course not, had plenty of them. I still hurt over Michael Thomas and Arsenal in 89 and Wimbledon in 88.

But you have to make Liverpool strong favourites for tomorrow night.

It just seems here with every single game that people here stress about Liverpool losing, but the majority of times they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Squad for tomorrow's game:

Goalkeepers: Karius, Mignolet, Ward

Defenders: Van Dijk, Lovren, Klavan, Masterson, Alexander-Arnold, Clyne, Robertson, Moreno

Midfielders: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, Woodburn, Jones

Forwards: Firmino, Salah, Mane, Ings, Solanke, Camacho

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/05/liverpool-confirm-23-man-travelling-squad-for-champions-league-decider-at-roma/

Lallana is back, although doubt he'll play. Gomez is injured. Perhaps rushed back too soon. He was pretty poor at the weekend, so that might explain it.

Bold choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

We are probably the only team where at 5 nil up the last night, I was thinking... Could do with a sixth... Just to be sure.

We are probably the only team where at 5 nil up the last night, I was thinking... Could do with a sixth... Just to be sure.

I was all over the place, was watching it on a stream on my phone with my 7 year old cause we were in Disney. My phone was going off with people Whatsapping about goals that I hadn't seen cause the stream was behind. And in the adjoining room, my Mother In Law was getting phone calls from my FIL who was back home watching and calling on every score!

Dickerty wrote: »
    Pretty quick yerself there, Nex/K-Nex! (is it a silent K?)

Everything is silent 'cept for the full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

murpho999 wrote: »
    You have to enjoy it at times as well.

Look how they played last week and versus Man City. A joy to behold.

No reason they cannot do that again tomorrow.

Yep, I think I need to hopeful (I know, it's the hope that kills you!). We've had some great games in the distant and recent past, no reason we can't have another! Feck it, time to stop worrying and start looking forward to tomorrow night. These kind of CL nights don't happen often, and it's a Semi-Final 2nd Leg we're talking about here! :)

Everything is silent 'cept for the full stop.

Which I pronounce as 'Pip'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Talisman wrote: »
    There were over 10 opportunities for Liverpool in the first half alone. Mane could have had a hattrick, Lovren missed two free headers, Firminio, Wijnaldum and Oxlade-Chamberlain all had shots at the keeper instead of the goal and in the second minute Salah tried to curl the ball around the keeper instead of going for the top corner like he did half an hour later.

My fear for the game is that Roma will try to cripple a midfielder or two knowing that we don't have adequate replacements.

And all they have to do is look how stoke got away with it over the weekend but hopefully the ref cant be that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I'm bricking it that we will throw this away tomorrow

U are in a Arsenal 89 mindset, forever scarred..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The bottom line is Roma might score tomorrow night but can they keep us out at the other end ?

I d'ont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Apols if posted today already - any indications of Mane fitness levels?

Ox might have been the logical replacement with pace and directness, lallana not back to form or fitness, and Ings not really the pacey dynamic player for our counter attack.

Really hope Mane starts - think key and absence showed v Stoke.

Arsenal's new head of recruitment is Sven Mislintat, who worked with Buvac and Klopp for 7 years at Dortmund. Might add some weight to the managerial theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ebbsy wrote: »
    The bottom line is Roma might score tomorrow night but can they keep us out at the other end ?

I d'ont think so.

Like Stoke did on the weekend? I think we'll score too though. If Salah had scored with that early chance I think they'd have murdered Stoke but things can go wrong and Roma are a different proposition. Part of me doesn't enjoy the tension these meaningful end of season games bring, screaming at the tv certainly isn't good for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Apols if posted today already - any indications of Mane fitness levels?

Ox might have been the logical replacement with pace and directness, lallana not back to form or fitness, and Ings not really the pacey dynamic player for our counter attack.

Really hope Mane starts - think key and absence showed v Stoke.

Haven't heard anything specific but Klopp said at the weekend he would be ok, and he trained yesterday I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Liverpool just have to watch for the play acting from Roma, they did it V Barca, however Barca also went with the attitude that they were already in the Semi Final and were bad on the night but also missed some chances

Roma excelled at the dark arts in that Barca game. The back four and DM seemed to rotate to take turns at kicking Messi, thus keeping their yellow card count down. I think they might target Salah in the same way, ex player or not.

It will be interesting to see how Roma set up. If they play that high line again we will score loads again, no doubt about it. But they have to come at us some way, we can expect a storm in the first 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The range of reactions is entirely expected, it's an exciting time for the club and we are only human.
    The pessimistic doom-laden neg-heads are edging it over the chicken-counting muppets this morning. The pessies are cleaning their barrels for Real's victory tonight, at which point they can broaden their range of doom and speculate about how our poor midfield will be bossed by Real to the point of embarassment etc.

Actually there is one regular poster here who has done exactly this (midfield no good we's all fooked post) before every play-off round this season. Can you guess who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im going to get hammered tomorrow. So there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

garra wrote: »
    The range of reactions is entirely expected, it's an exciting time for the club and we are only human.
    The pessimistic doom-laden neg-heads are edging it over the chicken-counting muppets this morning. The pessies are cleaning their barrels for Real's victory tonight, at which point they can broaden their range of doom and speculate about how our poor midfield will be bossed by Real to the point of embarassment etc.

Actually there is one regular poster here who has done exactly this (midfield no good we's all fooked post) before every play-off round this season. Can you guess who it is?

Couldn't give a bollix who they are, but hopefully they do it again cos we've done quite well.

Arsenal's new head of recruitment is Sven Mislintat, who worked with Buvac and Klopp for 7 years at Dortmund. Might add some weight to the managerial theory.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0501/959514-bell-not-convinced-by-buvac-to-arsenal-report/

Republic of Ireland Women's national team manager Colin Bell does not believe that Liverpool coach Zeljko Buvac would be interested in succeeding Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

Bell, who worked with both Buvac and Jurgen Klopp at Mainz, was surprised to learn of a report linking Buvac with a managerial hotseat at the Emirates

When asked whether he believed that Buvac was a likely candidate for Arsenal, Bell replied: "Never, I couldn’t imagine that.

"Buvac is a fantastic coach and you should never say never in football but I could not imagine that because he’s such a quiet, reserved person," added Bell

"He doesn’t really want that limelight, he’s a great worker, he supports and whatever.

"Like I say, he’s a fantastic guy and a fantastic coach, I just couldn’t imagine it, but you never know."

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Anyone else get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when they see Salah?

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/991337984548114435

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m on the pessi side . Counting chickens and all that . A red card / injury and down to underage players. Nearly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

robwen wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0501/959514-bell-not-convinced-by-buvac-to-arsenal-report/

Republic of Ireland Women's national team manager Colin Bell does not believe that Liverpool coach Zeljko Buvac would be interested in succeeding Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

Bell, who worked with both Buvac and Jurgen Klopp at Mainz, was surprised to learn of a report linking Buvac with a managerial hotseat at the Emirates

When asked whether he believed that Buvac was a likely candidate for Arsenal, Bell replied: "Never, I couldn’t imagine that.

"Buvac is a fantastic coach and you should never say never in football but I could not imagine that because he’s such a quiet, reserved person," added Bell

"He doesn’t really want that limelight, he’s a great worker, he supports and whatever.

"Like I say, he’s a fantastic guy and a fantastic coach, I just couldn’t imagine it, but you never know."

Buvac sounds like medelf to a T......just saying. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

k7o3petwz3v01.jpg

Outspent 23x by United in the last 4 years, Klopp's not doing too bad is he?

There should definitely be funds there in the summer to improve the squad even after spending 50m or so on Keita.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Morzadec wrote: »
    k7o3petwz3v01.jpg

There should definitely be funds there in the summer to improve the squad even after spending 50m or so on Keita.

Klopp and poch have both done a great job with the resources they have had at their disposal. If we get top 4 again klopp will have a big budget and deservedly so as he has helped get the clubs finances back to a good level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Klopp and poch have both done a great job with the resources they have had at their disposal. If we get top 4 again klopp will have a big budget and deservedly so as he has helped get the clubs finances back to a good level.

It's worth remembering as well that we have essentially done this whole season without Clyne and Lallana.

You'd hope that they would offer a lot more depth than we've had available this year.

With Can going and looking at our quality in CM, I would say that's the one real area we need a world class signing. I would love to have a player really capable of controlling and dictating a game. Our CMs can be great at "heavy metal" football, and I would see Keita as another in this mould, but if you look at the class, comfort on the ball and intelligence that City have in the middle of the park we're miles behind.

Obviously a player of KDB's quality is out of the question, but I'd love a Silva in our team. Someone capable of pressing but also class on the ball, capable of dictating if we need to close out a lead. Veratti springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looks like a fall out with Buvac.

Klopp seems stressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Raging this is happening this week. Either Buvac has something serious going on personally or based on what Joyce said about them having arguments, this must have been a nuclear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm stressed and I'm not getting paid to be! :mad: :pac:

Soton's great net spend is why they'll probably go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, anxiety levels rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Morzadec wrote: »
    k7o3petwz3v01.jpg

United have only outspent us by £140m.

• Net spend :D
    Those tables are gas craic, so many variables not taken into account

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Net spend :D

Net transfer spend = money out on transfers less money in on transfers. Kinda self explanatory no?

What variables you on about that are not taken into account? E.g. wages or revenue not relevant to net spend..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Like what? Its fairly simple math Net Spend = What you sold - What you bought.

Top earners at the other clubs would dwarf Liverpool and Spurs too I'd imagine. Firmino recently made Liverpools highest paid player @ £175k per week. Isn't Sanchez on something ridiculous like 500k?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    United have only outspent us by £140m.

On buys alone. But this is a net spend table and they have net outspent us 399 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yes like paying 400-500k a week for players in wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Net transfer spend = money out on transfers less money in on transfers. Kinda self explanatory no?

What variables you on about that are not taken into account? E.g. wages or revenue not relevant to net spend..

Give it tut gigzy til end ut season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement