Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Like a lot of ye, this evening can't come quick enough and I'm nervous about how it will all pan out. That said, it's important that we all take a while to appreciate how far we've come and enjoy this - a three goal lead ahead of the second leg of the European Cup semi final.

- remember all of the bitter arguing on here about Benitez's reign during the 2009 / 10 season and the litany of disappointing results that season including the defeat in a European semi in extra time;
    - remember the horrendous summer of 2010, the awfulness of Hodgson's reign;
    - remember the struggles around the future of the club and the tortured court process that saw FSG acquire it;
    - remember that Andy Carroll once played for Liverpool after a £35m deal;
    - remember Stuart Downing (I wish I couldn't);
    - remember the bitter arguing on here about Dalglish's reign and his dismissal;
    - remember all of the arguing and accumulated baggage of having Suarez at the club;
    - remember the bitter arguing about Rodgers during the first and last third of his time in charge;
    - remember the disappointment of just falling short in 2014;
    - remember the compounded disappointment of struggling the following season;
    - remember Basel;
    - remember all of the bitter arguing over transfers and FSG's spending policies and committees, etc;
    - remember all the bitter arguing over Gerrard and how he should be used, whether he should be played, etc;
    - remember losing 6 - 1 to Stoke;
    - remember the disappointment of two Cup Final defeats in 2016;
    - remember all the arguing over Sturridge;
    - remember all the speculation over Coutinho;

We've been through a lot in the decade since we last prepared for the second leg of a European Cup semi final. Two league title tilts that fell short. Five different managers. Two different ownership regimes. Six of Ten seasons out of the European Cup. Countless disappointing defeats or draws when wins were needed and hoped for.

And most of all: a torrent of pure ****e from all quarters telling us we'd never get back here and certainly never get beyond it. :)

Enjoy being back here. It was a long hard road and it feels good, no matter what happens later on. icon14.png

Actually that 4-3 loss to Palace in the cup still haunts me for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

murpho999 wrote: »
    IF we get to the final and that's a big IF, What will Madrid do with Marcello, ?
    He is so important to there game but that's by leaving his position and galloping on, Which will leave a huge Mo Salah shaped gap . I think who ever wins the battle on our right there left will come out the victors , Again IF we make it there,

Why is going into a second leg with a 3 goal advantage regarded as a big "IF"?

Surely it's an even bigger 'IF' for Roma?
    Its if because we are not there yet
    , Do you watch football ? nothing is done till its done anything can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Required listening for the day that's in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ebbsy wrote: »
    Actually that 4-3 loss to Palace in the cup still haunts me for some reason.

Bloody Alan Pardew, been annoying me since 1990.

• Advertisement

Its if because we are not there yet
    , Do you watch football ? nothing is done till its done anything can happen

I agree about nothing being done till it's done but you make it sound like Liverpool face an impossible task tonight which is not the truth at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think it's just that a 5-2 first leg lead is nothing like a 3 goal lead in a one off match. There was seven goals in the first game and look at all the chances last night, either side could have gone through.

Roma have to be favourites to win the match tonight, there's a long way to go and a dodgy decision or even a goal at the wrong time could swing the whole tie their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I agree about nothing being done till it's done but you make it sound like Liverpool face an impossible task tonight which is not the truth at all.

They way some people are thinking, if Roma score an early goal they'll be consigned to Liverpool being knocked out.

The margin for error here is quite large, and we have one the best attacking teams in Europe. There's no reason to be negative or let fear creep in and panic ensue if Roma do score.

That said, my biggest concern is legs in midfield in the 2nd half tbh. Hopefully we can score in the first half and deflate the home crowd and opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Roma have to go all out , they will be wide open at the back , dying for this game to put it to bed

Just a formality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cause tonight.
    Is the night.

Where two become one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Roma have to go all out , they will be wide open at the back , dying for this game to put it to bed

Just a formality

I don't think so. That was their plan in the first match once the ball had been kicked off and they had some success with it.
    They will have learned alot from the first 20 minutes and the last 10 minutes of the first leg. If they figure out how to do that solidly for the 90 then it's not a formality at all.
    Their home support behind them as well adds an extra dimension.

But 1 goal from us and it's over.

Just a formality
    Barca said the same mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I just hope we don't gift them an early goal. Make them work for any chances they get. Then hit them on the break with a goal for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Enjoy being back here. It was a long hard road and it feels good, no matter what happens later on.

I'm enjoying this run, and not overly worried about tonight, but if we were to go out then, wow, it would probably be one of the worst football nights ever.... another awful footnote to go on your list :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Grayditch wrote: »
    Cause tonight.
    Is the night.

Where two become one.
    I need fun Bobby, like I never needed Bobby before
    I want two goals Booby, ohhh yeah baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barca said the same mate

Barca went there with the mentality they were through, Liverpool won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

rob316 wrote: »
    Barca went there with the mentality they were through, Liverpool won't.

Hope you are correct
    squeeky bum time

Barca said the same mate

Which means that we'll learn from that, be more cautious and better prepared.

The big difference for me is that despite the scoreline, Barcelona did not tear Roma apart like Liverpool did and I think we can score tonight.

Man City are a better team than Roma and we got through there, despite a difficult 2nd leg start and were eventually comfortable winners.

We have to fancy our chances tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

If we finish Roma as realistically we should, prepare for an onslaught of 'leaked' stories about Salah being Real Madrids number 1 target. It's second nature to those c$nts to do everything they can to scrape an extra advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we finish Roma as realistically we should, prepare for an onslaught of 'leaked' stories about Salah being Real Madrids number 1 target. It's second nature to those c$nts to do everything they can to scrape an extra advantage.

Well I head Ronaldo wants to join Liverpool!

Lets throw the first punch!! :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not with the over confidence here.

At home Roma are very good. They have not conceded at home in the CL yet this season.

On the other hand we have scored in every away game.

I would be happy with a 0-0! :)

Win or draw for us but most important is no injuries. I think Roma will be a bit more physical tonight. Nothing to lose and playing for pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dogbert27 wrote: »

And we turned him down as we think Asensio is a better player :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Grayditch wrote: »
    Cause tonight.
    Is the night.

Where two become one.

Wouldn't that be the night of May 26th..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

robwen wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be the night of May 26th..

That's the night where 5 becomes 6

I'm not with the over confidence here.

At home Roma are very good. They have not conceded at home in the CL yet this season.

On the other hand we have scored in every away game.

I would be happy with a 0-0! :)

Win or draw for us but most important is no injuries. I think Roma will be a bit more physical tonight. Nothing to lose and playing for pride.

What over confidence?

Most people are nervously negative.

I'm optimistic and fancy our chances and believe the odds are hugely in our favour as we have a 3 goal advantage.

That is not "Over-confidence".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Imagine if he did join... Our front three would be Mane, Bobby and Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Stats say that Roma haven't conceded in CL at home this season, but how many of them games did they start 3-0 down? We are devastating on the break and that's how we'll be playing - unless they play their highest line in which we'll be playing 100 long balls until Salah gets onto one of them.

I'm not saying i am cocky - but i am confident - sweet jesus we are 5-2 up! We have to be confident. I expect us to go there with our chests puffed out and with a swagger. They NEED to beat us by 3. They NEED to come out and come for us all guns blazing ... are they better than City? I don't think so.

It'll be a hard slog but dare say an early goal for us - when everyone seems to expect they'll be the first to score - would effectively end this tie. That's a massive incentive for us.

This is semi finals time, if a player cannot man up and play with everything for 90 mins tonight of all nights. I even seen Ronaldo track back last night and win the ball on his own 18yr box!

Be confident lads ... although it'll be hard to watch at times, this should be a brilliant night!

Like a lot of ye, this evening can't come quick enough and I'm nervous about how it will all pan out. That said, it's important that we all take a while to appreciate how far we've come and enjoy this - a three goal lead ahead of the second leg of the European Cup semi final.

- remember all of the bitter arguing on here about Benitez's reign during the 2009 / 10 season and the litany of disappointing results that season including the defeat in a European semi in extra time;
    - remember the horrendous summer of 2010, the awfulness of Hodgson's reign;
    - remember the struggles around the future of the club and the tortured court process that saw FSG acquire it;
    - remember that Andy Carroll once played for Liverpool after a £35m deal;
    - remember Stuart Downing (I wish I couldn't);
    - remember the bitter arguing on here about Dalglish's reign and his dismissal;
    - remember all of the arguing and accumulated baggage of having Suarez at the club;
    - remember the bitter arguing about Rodgers during the first and last third of his time in charge;
    - remember the disappointment of just falling short in 2014;
    - remember the compounded disappointment of struggling the following season;
    - remember Basel;
    - remember all of the bitter arguing over transfers and FSG's spending policies and committees, etc;
    - remember all the bitter arguing over Gerrard and how he should be used, whether he should be played, etc;
    - remember losing 6 - 1 to Stoke;
    - remember the disappointment of two Cup Final defeats in 2016;
    - remember all the arguing over Sturridge;
    - remember all the speculation over Coutinho;

We've been through a lot in the decade since we last prepared for the second leg of a European Cup semi final. Two league title tilts that fell short. Five different managers. Two different ownership regimes. Six of Ten seasons out of the European Cup. Countless disappointing defeats or draws when wins were needed and hoped for.

And most of all: a torrent of pure ****e from all quarters telling us we'd never get back here and certainly never get beyond it. :)

Enjoy being back here. It was a long hard road and it feels good, no matter what happens later on. icon14.png

boards.ie soccer forum seems to bother you to be honest

punk_one82 wrote: »
    That's the night where 5 becomes 6

World Club Championship is on in UAE in December.

Might book my flights this afternoon.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    boards.ie soccer forum seems to bother you to be honest

pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brilliant post Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I will be honest, I am sh!tting myself

I know logically with a 3 goal lead and a very good chance we will score of there I shouldn't be

But I am still sh!tting myself and hopeful at the same time
    A conflicting bag of emotions and just willing the work day to be over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Half considering putting €10 on Roma at 7/1 to qualify.
    Just to lessen any potential mishap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

7/1 :eek:

I won an 8/1 bet not so long ago, Pellegrino to be the next sacked manager, thought that was likely at the time...you're telling me Roma going through is more likely!!

What over confidence?

Most people are nervously negative.

I'm optimistic and fancy our chances and believe the odds are hugely in our favour as we have a 3 goal advantage.

That is not "Over-confidence".

There are posts saying that we'll be 2-0 up by half time. This is not going to be an easy game.

I believe we did enough in the first leg to reach the finals but I'm expecting the game tonight to be anything but comfortable, even with a 3-0 advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Saw on twitter that it's looking likely Roma will play 4-3-3 and Di Francesco learning from his mistake last week.
    You will imagine it will be long diagonals from Kolarov to Dzeko & Schick and try cause problems with the 2nd balls.

We should get lots of space in behind the full-backs when they bomb on in the attack, let's hope the front 3 are sharp as a tack to capitalize on it.

I can't wait for kick off. I'm nervous as fcuk but also quietly confident we can do the business tonight.

Let's do this. YNWA :)

Anyone see the rumours on twitter Henderson is injured
     Probably nonsense but I did notice not pics of him running with the lads in the training pics, Just one of him stood beside Jurgen ,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I got them at 9/1 yesterday

449822.png

I feel dirty doing it but best case scenario, we're in a CL final.
    Worst case scenario I have some cash to help ease the pain :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Stats say that Roma haven't conceded in CL at home this season, but how many of them games did they start 3-0 down? We are devastating on the break and that's how we'll be playing - unless they play their highest line in which we'll be playing 100 long balls until Salah gets onto one of them.

I'm not saying i am cocky - but i am confident - sweet jesus we are 5-2 up! We have to be confident. I expect us to go there with our chests puffed out and with a swagger. They NEED to beat us by 3. They NEED to come out and come for us all guns blazing ... are they better than City? I don't think so.

It'll be a hard slog but dare say an early goal for us - when everyone seems to expect they'll be the first to score - would effectively end this tie. That's a massive incentive for us.

This is semi finals time, if a player cannot man up and play with everything for 90 mins tonight of all nights. I even seen Ronaldo track back last night and win the ball on his own 18yr box!

Be confident lads ... although it'll be hard to watch at times, this should be a brilliant night!

Eh, the last one versus Barcelona :p

Overall though, I agree. Remember conceding the away goal to Juve in 2005 and thinking we were done for? Comfortable 0-0 in Turin when all they needed was one goal.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Eh, the last one versus Barcelona :p

Overall though, I agree. Remember conceding the away goal to Juve in 2005 and thinking we were done for? Comfortable 0-0 in Turin when all they needed was one goal.

They also beat Chelsea 3-0 at home in the group stage.

I'll watch the game from behind the sofa as usual. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Anyone see the rumours on twitter Henderson is injured
     Probably nonsense but I did notice not pics of him running with the lads in the training pics, Just one of him stood beside Jurgen ,,

He is in the training pics with his boots on taking full part in the warmup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Interestingly though whole Roma haven't conceded a goal at home in the CL. In Serie A they have lost 7 games this season. 6 of them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Looking forward to tonight. Don't know if i'm nervous, confident or all over the place withthe thought of a Champions League final.

Roma can score 3 goals against us. Of course they can. Out defence and keeper are not 'all that' to be fair.

But for them to play the way they need to, to score three goals, they are going to leave gaps for our front three, and we know what can happen there. City was the same.

I like Roma as a club, and they are in a catch 22 situation. Attack and get caught. Be cautious and run out of time to score the three.

Will be interesting for sure.

Salah v Kolarov is the one thing that makes me think we will score at least one. My prediction 2-2 draw.

YNWA

They also beat Chelsea 3-0 at home in the group stage.

I'll watch the game from behind the sofa as usual. :)

And we drew against Seville and Seville beat Utd but Seville are out.

Past non-connected games are totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fun Bobby is the key tonight as he is in every game.

If he is on form we will stroll it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What I'd really like is to race into a 5-0 lead and see if we can defend it better this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Barca said the same mate

We have better forwards than Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

ebbsy wrote: »
    We have better forwards than Barca.

Who of Liverpool's fowards are better than Messi or Suarez?

8-10 wrote: »
    7/1 :eek:

I won an 8/1 bet not so long ago, Pellegrino to be the next sacked manager, thought that was likely at the time...you're telling me Roma going through is more likely!!

I hope I lose my bet!

x43r0 wrote: »
    I got them at 9/1 yesterday

449822.png

I feel dirty doing it but best case scenario, we're in a CL final.
    Worst case scenario I have some cash to help ease the pain :o

My thinking also

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement