Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Question

Options
  • 09-04-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Im looking to do the cheapest bang for buck upgrade on an old system i have,i was wondering if it was really a false economy to upgrade from i5-3570k to an i7-3770 or would it be better to go the ryzen 5 route with new motherboard and ram?
    current spec
    ASRock Z77 Extreme3
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz ivy bridge
    16gb ddr3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Depends on what you play.

If you're getting stuttering right now, an i7/Xeon-equivalent is a decent upgrade.

Ryzen would be about same performance (maybe +10%) but lower power draw IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would cost you €400+ to go Ryzen, way easier just to drop in a 3770K for €120 and still gives excellent performance.

Is your 3570K overclocked? At 4 or 4.2Ghz it certainly would still be no slouch either.

If this is for games, your graphics card might be a more obvious upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Its pretty much only used by my youngest to play world of warcraft,but its showing its age..the gpu is a 7850 which has lasted 6 years.
    The whole mining situation has put me off upgrading the card as looking at prices its still a bit mad.Im running 4 pcs in the house,3 for the kids which the 7850 card is the lowest spec of them all.
    so any help with gpu would be grateful guys

Ah, in that case upgrade the GPU. A HD7850 is a massive bottleneck paired with a 3570K. It would be about the same speed as a new GTX1050, eg, low-end.

A GTX1060 3GB would be a very big upgrade. The 3570K is still a decent CPU.

I have spoken to she who must be obeyed at all times and we decided i was going to give my son my machine (i5 6600,r9 fury x,16gb)
    and now i have a budget of 1600 for a new system...not looking forward to trying to spec this new machine:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    i have a budget of 1600 for a new system...not looking forward to trying to spec this new machine:-(

That's a nice budget for a new build really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I have spoken to she who must be obeyed at all times and we decided i was going to give my son my machine (i5 6600,r9 fury x,16gb)
    and now i have a budget of 1600 for a new system...not looking forward to trying to spec this new machine:-(

Heck for €1600 you might be able to upgrade even the monitor.

i posted another thread @K.O.KIKI with the usual boards template and i have gone up to 1700 euros so i would love your input..i have build pcs for over 25 years now but im a little out of the loop (damn miners put a spanners in the works)

The Fury X is a good card and the 6600K is still also a great CPU. I'd say to get meaningful upgrades on both, you should be looking at a GTX1080 or 1080Ti + i5-8600K setup (or Ryzen 1600 maybe, Intel be better if you plan getting a 120hz+ monitor at some point). Not cheap, but anything less would be closer to a sideways step or relatively minor upgrade.

Advertisement