Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names of roads in Athlone

Options
  • 09-04-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Walking in Coosan recently I couldn’t miss the signposts with the newly named roads...ie Plunkett Rd., Mc Dermott Rd., or is it McDonagh?? and a few others.

Anyway it seems like every city, town and village in this country have been blighted ad nausea with Pearse streets and Connolly streets Plunkett streets and now we have Elliott Street or road or whatever.

Ok commemorating the 1916 Republican leaders is fine but surely more has happened historically in this town than just 1916. It’s just so boring rehashing these names over and over.

In future if the council decide to rename a street or road they should put it to the people to decide.

I’m sure that we could come up with some more original than the usual list of republican heroes.

Just sayin like……………….:P

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Like Moatey McMoate Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Anyone know who Grace was, and why she has been dumped for the Elliot sisters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

martin1 wrote: »
    Walking in Coosan recently I couldn’t miss the signposts with the newly named roads...ie Plunkett Rd., Mc Dermott Rd., or is it McDonagh?? and a few others.

Anyway it seems like every city, town and village in this country have been blighted ad nausea with Pearse streets and Connolly streets Plunkett streets and now we have Elliott Street or road or whatever.

Ok commemorating the 1916 Republican leaders is fine but surely more has happened historically in this town than just 1916. It’s just so boring rehashing these names over and over.

In future if the council decide to rename a street or road they should put it to the people to decide.

I’m sure that we could come up with some more original than the usual list of republican heroes.

Just sayin like……………….:P

At least in Athlone, we just use their names on roads. A few other places I've lived, the Republican leaders would be turning in their graves if they saw some of the estates with their names on them......

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

whyulittle wrote: »
    Anyone know who Grace was, and why she has been dumped for the Elliot sisters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Grace

This is third name change yet most people know the road from the bridge to the Midland railway station as the Accommodation Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Now that you mention that, I still call it Accommodation road, I always thought Grace road was the bit of road that went into extrusions/bowling ally direction.

Never made the connection before.

I've probably confused a few people with sat nav's telling them to go that direction :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I always thoyght Grace rd was where st mels tc was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I always thoyght Grace rd was where st mels tc was.

That's Grace Park Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

That's Grace Park Road.

Previously called the sherrif's road. It's at right angles to the former St. Mels Tce.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Now that you mention that, I still call it Accommodation road

The OSI 25 inch map is 100 years old, and shows the road as Grace Road back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The OSI 25 inch map is 100 years old, and shows the road as Grace Road back then.

Humm my dad and mam called it Accommodation road and they both moved to Athlone, so must have been in use by people still or at least referred to it as Accommodation road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

That's Grace Park Road.

You'd think I'd know where Grace road was.. I live a minutes walk fromit lol

Advertisement