Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo launch 2*12 Record / S Record groupsets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The reasoning that they give behind the move is sound, wider range cassettes so less jumps between sprockets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

letape wrote: »
    I’m not sure I see the need to go to 2*12 on the road.
    weren't such concerns raised when 10 speed and 11 speed were launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Borderfox wrote: »
    The reasoning that they give behind the move is sound, wider range cassettes so less jumps between sprockets

Yes but it also means more gear changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

weren't such concerns raised when 10 speed and 11 speed were launched?

Yep - and I moved to 10 and 11 speeds as soon as they were available, because I could see the benefit in that.

Clearly though there is less incremental benefit as you move from 11 to 12 compared to a move from 9 to 10.

I suppose it does allow for the addition of a 30t or 32t sprocket without increasing the gap between sprockets (but who needs more than a 27 - I have only ever used a 27 once and that was on a trip to the Pyrenees!).

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes but it also means more gear changes.

a good reason(excuse) to upgrade to EPS:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm finding it hard to get excited by it. No electronic version. Only two cassette options, both of which seem really gappy, even if there's 12 sprockets. If you're adding a sprocket, the logical thing seems to be switch the 11-23 to an 11-25, the 12-25 to a 12-27 and the 12-27 to a 12-29. Who needs an 11-32?

The new Boras looked interesting until I read they were clincher only.

One positive though is that they're still using the same hub, meaning you don't have to buy new wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

€339 for a cassette.

No thanks.

Nice video of the group in action

https://youtu.be/coRDA1xpeMU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If anybody has a, now obsolete, 11 speed Super Record groupset, that they have to get rid of, I'll be more than happy to take it off their hands.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If anybody has a, now obsolete, Super Record groupset, that they have to get rid of, I'll be more than happy to take it off their hands.

I have an original 2009 11 speed SR and a 2018 SR one. Which do you want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

letape wrote: »
    I have an original 2009 11 speed SR and a 2018 SR one. Which do you want!

I'm not greedy, I'll just take the 2018 SR. will you post, please. Obviously, I'll cover the cost of postage, or you can send it C.O.D.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm not greedy, I'll just take the 2018 SR. will you post, please. Obviously, I'll cover the cost of postage, or you can send it C.O.D.

Thanks.

I'm even less fussy whatever he doesn't want...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm even less fussy whatever he doesn't want...

Second in line for the now obsolete 11spd SR groupset. I'll upgrade my current Claris 8spd turbo trainer bike with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I remember my mates being impressed when I was younger, with my new 18 speed mountain bike. And no, it was not 2x9, for our younger viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The brakes look like some sort of bastard hybrid of FSA and SRAM.
    The FD looks like SRAM Yaw thing.
    The RD...WTF is going on there!!!!
    The cranks are the best part and even then MEH!

Campy......your losing me......

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

So pre 2018 Group Sets are end of life. Where can I buy them -50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I have bikes with 7 9 and 10 speed the only thing I notice is I can't remember the last time I changed the chain on the 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have bikes with 7 9 and 10 speed the only thing I notice is I can't remember the last time I changed the chain on the 7

How often do you ride each?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have 8, 10, 11 and 11. Theres bugger all difference in them with the exception of the 8speed which is incredibly gappy with an 11/32 cassette. I plan on changing it to 12/28 whenever I can be bothered.

Advertisement