Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentation needed for sale of house

Options
  • 09-04-2018 4:43pm

I have no idea about this stuff but a relative of mine is selling their house. Apparently in order to avoid having to pay a load of tax he needs documentation going back to 2009 showing he lived at the address e.g bills, bank statements etc.

Unfortunately since he hated the area (which is the reason for selling) he spent most of his time at the family home and used that address for his bills and other stuff.

He's been told he needs to forms of evidence and has managed to get one. He has nothing else however.

Has anyone else been in this, rather peculiar, position before and have any help please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Yes he has had it up for sale since then. He was spending most of his time at the family home and returning to the house in the evening. He'd sleep there, go to work the following morning and then go from work to the family home...and repeat!

Not his fault the economic crash happened and he couldn't shift the place. The amount of people making low ball bids was endless. He didn't want to get screwed so stuck to his guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sounds like this is for the NPPR?

If he was sleeping there the majority of the time then it would be classed as his principal residence.

A friend recently needed similar proof and Electric Ireland obliged with copy statements for each year with their name and address showing as proof of living there. He just rang them up and asked for it, they emailed it on. It depends on who the provider was but I'd say they're used to the request!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

To claim ppr relief on your principal private residence it needs to be your principal private residence.

if you are not residing there you are technically not eligible to ppr relief and legally he would be considered to not be entitled to the relief.

if he was sleeping there but not using it as a postal a dress it's hard to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I have no idea about this stuff but a relative of mine is selling their house. Apparently in order to avoid having to pay a load of tax he needs documentation going back to 2009 showing he lived at the address e.g bills, bank statements etc.

Unfortunately since he hated the area (which is the reason for selling) he spent most of his time at the family home and used that address for his bills and other stuff.

He's been told he needs to forms of evidence and has managed to get one. He has nothing else however.

Has anyone else been in this, rather peculiar, position before and have any help please?

What address was used for bills? It’s unclear from
    context - looks like the family home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

He's looking to get a NPPR exemption cert. He must have paid utility bills for the property regardless of living there so those are the things to chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

So he never rented the place out while he wasn’t living there for 9 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

April 73 wrote:

That's what revenue will want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's what revenue will want to know.

There’s been a few of these types of threads recently. NPPR documentation requirements coming back to bite people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did he use the family home or the house he bought for the bills?

Don't know why some of the posts here are so aggressive. No he wasn't renting the place out. He thought about it but heard some horror stories and decided it wasn't worth it. Sorry it's hard for people to believe we're not dishonest.

I checked with him and of course he tried for utility bills. One came through but the other doesn't have records going back that far or something.

Listen I'm only asking a question. Don't know why some people are getting their knickers in a twist. If you have nothing positive to contribute then kindly fück off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Don't know why some of the posts here are so aggressive. No he wasn't renting the place out. He thought about it but heard some horror stories and decided it wasn't worth it. Sorry it's hard for people to believe we're not dishonest.

I checked with him and of course he tried for utility bills. One came through but the other doesn't have records going back that far or something.

Listen I'm only asking a question. Don't know why some people are getting their knickers in a twist. If you have nothing positive to contribute then kindly fück off.

If it wasn’t his main residence then irrespective of whether he’s rented it out he’s looking at about 8k for NPPR including fines. A sale won’t progress without a retention, exemption cert or proof of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've read all the posts and I can't see a single one aggressive.

All anyone said is that he has to prove to revenue that he lived there. He doesn't need to convince me.

Businesses are required by law to keep records for a minimum of 7 years. The gas & electric companies will be able to go back at least that far.

Listen I don't even know what NPPR is...I thought it was some American radio station. Afraid to say more because of the banhammer. I came to this sub forum, for the first time, looking for help cos I thought it would be friendly. Ended up with an infraction and people questioning my integrity. Thought it would be helpful rather than me having to defend myself. Won't be back.

I've thanked the posts of the people who were civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thought it would be helpful rather than me having to defend myself. Won't be back.
    Meh. Telling people to fcuk off for asking questions to get a better understanfing of your issues was a tad bit rude.

If he has the bills going to the house, IMO he has nothing to lose by asking for monthly bills from his supplier. Offer to pay for them (you get more with honey than vinegar), and I'd say this should help prove that this was his primary residence.

I did answer questions. At the start of the thread I stated that he was going there in the evening, sleeping and going to work the next morning. Then he would go to the family home before repeating the process.
    He was spending most of his time at the family home and returning to the house in the evening. He'd sleep there, go to work the following morning and then go from work to the family home...and repeat!

This was in answer to the second post which I also found a tab obnoxious but still answered.

Then a couple of posts later I get:

It's a pity they're not as good at reading as they are at reporting posts. You can't tell me that that post isn't implying I'm being economical with the truth. I found it aggravating to be persistently having to defend myself instead of getting somewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I did answer questions. At the start of the thread I stated that he was going there in the evening, sleeping and going to work the next morning. Then he would go to the family home before repeating the process.

This was in answer to the second post which I also found a tab obnoxious but still answered.

Then a couple of posts later I get:

It's a pity they're not as good at reading as they are at reporting posts. You can't tell me that that post isn't implying I'm being economical with the truth. I found it aggravating to be persistently having to defend myself instead of getting somewhere.

Google non principle private residence tax and you'll know why they are looking for the evidence.

Fail to provide the evidence then about 9k will be due to the council

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

OP he’ll have to rack his brains to think of how he will produce documentary evidence of this place being his main home.
    He must have had waste collection?
    Electricity?
    All the nonsense with Irish Water?
    Bank/credit union/building society statements?
    Revenue tax credit statements?
    Car/house/life insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We had to get this documentation recently (or at least my partner did). As far as I recall, he has to prove he lived there between 2009 and 2013. We had to get two documents from this timeframe, and our solicitor specifically looked for one from the start and one from the end. I remember this, because I initially got one from 2012 and 2013, and was sent off to get something from 09.
    We got a letter from the person who is in charge of the electoral register. Is that an option?

ETA - we got the company that delivers the heating oil to print out a statement from 2009. It can literally be anything some way official that has a name and address and a date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can make a statutory declaration stating it was your principal residence. We did this because it was €40 and easier than wading through years of documentation. It’s on the second page of this form: http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Documents/Application_Forms/Your_Council/Application%20for%20Certificate%20of%20Exemption%20or%20Discharge%20from%20NPPR%202017.pdf

I assume your council will have something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Presumably he will also have paid LPT on the property so there's another potential source of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Tv licence?

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Presumably he will also have paid LPT on the property so there's another potential source of evidence.

LPT is also due on a NPPR.

stimpson wrote: »
    LPT is also due on a NPPR.
    So are payments for electricity, water etc. If the OP's relative is looking for statements etc from official sources, in what way would a recepit for payment of LPT be any different to an electricity bill?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

People are asking questions to clarify your friends situation. You have nothing to defend and as far as I can make out there have been no accusations of anything untoward.

The question about renting/correspondence/bills are relevant because they will likely play a part in the tax treatment of the proceeds of any sale.
    The questions about NPPR could also be important as your friend could find himself with liabilities to settle before any sale can be completed.

If you're not happy to answer any questions, that's fine but it's likely to mean you will only get general responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

shaunr68 wrote: »
    So are payments for electricity, water etc. If the OP's relative is looking for statements etc from official sources, in what way would a recepit for payment of LPT be any different to an electricity bill?

I imagine LPT is paid by the owner but utilities are paid by the occupant

I imagine LPT is paid by the owner but utilities are paid by the occupant

Thanks for the clarification, only lived here for two years and always paid our own LPT and utility (singular, we live out in the sticks!)

• Advertisement

Advertisement