Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentation needed for sale of house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Not that uncommon in families who can't cut the apron strings. Back home to Mammy for dinner every night, but into your own gaf for sleeping, nobody disturbing you or giving you a dirty look for being hungover the next day.

Very strange that he'd redirect his mail to the family home though, that doesn't make much sense.

I wonder would an affidavit suffice if all hope is lost? Worth engaging a tax advisor on this issue OP.

I'd have difficulty proving where I was living in 2009, I throw out everyone that's more than five years old. So this can't be a rare occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

seamus wrote: »
    ....... wrote: »
    Obnoxious?

More incredulous that someone would be paying for a property while living somewhere else.

If he has that kind of money to waste, 8k or 9k to cover his liabilities now will be nothing to him.
    Not that uncommon in families who can't cut the apron strings. Back home to Mammy for dinner every night, but into your own gaf for sleeping, nobody disturbing you or giving you a dirty look for being hungover the next day.

Very strange that he'd redirect his mail to the family home though, that doesn't make much sense.

I wonder would an affidavit suffice if all hope is lost? Worth engaging a tax advisor on this issue OP.

I'd have difficulty proving where I was living in 2009, I throw out everyone that's more than five years old. So this can't be a rare occurrence.

I’d have difficulty finding a piece of paper in my house. But I could go to the bank and get a letter from the manager saying “jlm29 has been a customer here since 2009 and all correspondence has been sent to her at that address”. Or a statement from the waste company, or the people who deliver coal. Most people would find a way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’d have difficulty finding a piece of paper in my house. But I could go to the bank and get a letter from the manager saying “jlm29 has been a customer here since 2009 and all correspondence has been sent to her at that address”. Or a statement from the waste company, or the people who deliver coal. Most people would find a way around it!

And car insurance. You have to state at what address the car will be parked. There's lots of ways to prove where he has been living

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There isn't a single service provider that I'm using now that I was also using in 2009. Phones, electricity, bank, fuel, car insurance, I've changed them all at least once in the last decade.

Ignoring the fact that I've also moved house in that time, I wonder what the options are for someone like me. Maybe Revenue would have to accept an affidavit - perhaps one from a neighbour who can attest to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

seamus wrote: »
    There isn't a single service provider that I'm using now that I was also using in 2009. Phones, electricity, bank, fuel, car insurance, I've changed them all at least once in the last decade.

Ignoring the fact that I've also moved house in that time, I wonder what the options are for someone like me. Maybe Revenue would have to accept an affidavit - perhaps one from a neighbour who can attest to it?

Well if you’ve moved house it’s irrelevant. That’s the point I suppose. Even if you’ve changed service providers in that time, you may have had the services back then? So you go to your old waste company, your old fuel company etc. A person in your old bank may also oblige. The electoral register has always been there. Your gp? PHN if you have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Utility bills always state the address to which the service was supplied even if the bill itself goes to another address.

Utility bills always state the address to which the service was supplied even if the bill itself goes to another address.

If it states a different address to where he claims to live revenue won't believe him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Can he ask the bank for duplicate bank statements to be resent?
    There is a charge, but they go back about ten years or more.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If it states a different address to where he claims to live revenue won't believe him

It will at least show that the account at the address in question was in his name. If the bills went to his parents' house he can explain that away. He has to get the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

It will at least show that the account at the address in question was in his name. If the bills went to his parents' house he can explain that away. He has to get the benefit of the doubt.

That's the problem. Revenue will assume that he lived in the parents house if the bills went there. Having the bills in his name won't be enough. He has to prove that he was living there.

Plenty of people live in their parents house and rent out their own house thinking keeping the bills in their name is enough to convince revenue that they weren't renting the place out. I think this is why op posted in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I recently sold a house and had to go through this process. Could find bills going back as far as 2010 but not 2009, in the end, I just got a solicitor to sign a sworn affidavit stating that I lived at the address during those years. Should have just done that from the start as it would have saved me a lot of time looking for old bills.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's the problem. Revenue will assume that he lived in the parents house if the bills went there. Having the bills in his name won't be enough. He has to prove that he was living there.

Plenty of people live in their parents house and rent out their own house thinking keeping the bills in their name is enough to convince revenue that they weren't renting the place out. I think this is why op posted in the first place

The NPPR is a matter for the local authority not the Revenue. The Revenue won't be involved. It may be that he was working on the house for a while after he bought it and it was more convenient to send the bills to his parents house and because he visited his parents fairly often he just forget about changing he address on the bills. It could equally be that he was bad at paying bills on time and that a family member paid them on his behalf so he wouldn't end up with utilities cut off. The Revenue nor the Council can't simply infer non-residence. The Revenue could do an audit to see if there was any unaccounted monies or expenditure appearing if they suspected a concealed rental.
    It might be different if the o/p owned other properties where he might have resided.

The NPPR is a matter for the local authority not the Revenue. The Revenue won't be involved. It may be that he was working on the house for a while after he bought it and it was more convenient to send the bills to his parents house and because he visited his parents fairly often he just forget about changing he address on the bills. It could equally be that he was bad at paying bills on time and that a family member paid them on his behalf so he wouldn't end up with utilities cut off. The Revenue nor the Council can't simply infer non-residence. The Revenue could do an audit to see if there was any unaccounted monies or expenditure appearing if they suspected a concealed rental. It might be different if the o/p owned other properties where he might have resided.

Won't there be capital gains tax if the property has increased in value & its not his primary residence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Not sure what county council your friend is dealing with. In order to get NPPR exemption when my dad was selling his house, we needed the property folio details, meter readings from electricity supplier for the years in question and a brief letter from a local resident to confirm that my dad had been resident at the address.

Electric Ireland were very helpful - however if your friends property was vacant and meter is inside and therefore meter could not be read, this may prove difficult. If the meter is on the outside of the property the meter would have been read and therefore the electricity supplier should provide the statement without any difficulty.

Advertisement