Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point to upgrade the video card in this antique?

Options
  • 09-04-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

My old Rampage II Extreme m/b is holding up surprisingly well almost a decade since it was built. This originally had the i7-940 CPU. I since replaced that with a Xeon W3690 and the memory is maxed out at 12 GB. As this is an LGA1366 socket, I think there's nowhere to go with CPU now.

I have a GTX 960 2GB video card and it runs most stuff OK. GTA5 runs very well (don't ask me about exact FPS but it looks smooth enough for me) and most flight simulators are ok(ish) at medium to high settings.

I hadn't bought a new game in ages but for the laugh, I dropped €50 for Far Cry 5 and now I can see it struggle a bit with the frame rate if any of the options are above normal. Also I see some screen 'tearing' that I hadn't seen on other games.

I don't play new games very much any more so I am not really inclined to splash out on a new system at the moment but I'd probably drop aroudnd €250, on a new video card (and flog the old one) if it would make a visible difference and give the machine a few more years.

Would a 1060 6 GB be overkill now with the other hardware? The 1070 is probably beyond what I would pay at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

980/980ti at the right price would give you a decent uplift.

Done business with this lad before. Nice Chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

980/980ti at the right price would give you a decent uplift.

Done business with this lad before. Nice Chap.

Thanks. That's one mad looking card.
    For sure 970s and 980s are hard to find new now at reasonable prices.
    That's why I was looking at the 1060.

I'm a bit wary of used cards at the moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, the CPU is old but still relatively decent for 60fps gaming. Which is absolutely mad when you consider its age. A GTX1060 6GB should be largely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

10 series card prices are hyper-inflated. Wait until the 11 series is released in the next few months and get an 1160 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

10 series card prices are hyper-inflated. Wait until the 11 series is released in the next few months and get an 1160 or something.

1060 3Gb & RX570 4Gb prices are coming back down though.
    Plus OP wants to play now! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1060 3Gb & RX570 4Gb prices are coming back down though.
    Plus OP wants to play now! :pac:

Must....Buy.....NOW!
    #UpgradeAnxiety

Actually in the end I pushed the boat out for a 1070 in an Amazon Warehouse Deal.

£320. Probably overkill and a bit more than I had planned to spend but sure.....

Advertisement