Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP configuration failed error

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What IP configuration did you give it?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

It's set to get the IP itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What OS is it?

You could try these steps .
    You could post here CMD output for command ipconfig /all for clearer picture

Windows 10 64 bit is the OS

I did ipconfig/all and there seems to be no default gateway. What can I do about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Configure the DHCP Server (usually the router) to provide it or enter it manually for the interface.

Ken

Not clear if issue on this device alone or other devices also affected, could be nothing wrong with DHCP.

Troubleshoot step by step:

Other devices can connect to network and get internet? Y/N

if "Y" = troubleshoot offending device and connection to it:
    a. try different LAN port on router -test it with different device.
    b. try different, confirmed working(tested on different device) cable.
    c. try manually configure IP settings on network card, or
    d. uninstall/reinstall network card drivers, or
    e. reset network card configuration

if "N" = troubleshoot router:
    a. check with ISP if service functioning, let them to troubleshoot/guide you.
    b. restart router.
    c. reset router.
    d. try different router

If there is any intermediary devices(additional router, switch, AP) - eliminate them and connect device directly to main router.

Note: record current configuration settings and any changes made, note passwords, IP as resetting devices might/will remove any configuration and restore factory defaults. Most routers have feature to back up current configuration state - use it, will be ease to restore.

If want more accurate help you have to provide bit more detail about current network status

Wireless connection is working grand so it must be the computer that's the problem. The computer is also connected to the router via a TP-Link but I can't connect the computer directly to the router as there is no ethernet cable nearby.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Wireless connection is working grand so it must be the computer that's the problem. The computer is also connected to the router via a TP-Link but I can't connect the computer directly to the router as there is no ethernet cable nearby.
    You should quit sparing of words on defining your network - ton of varies network related devices are branded "TP-Link" and they serve different purposes: switch? another router? access point? etc. - what is it?
    Do I need to pull info from you word by word?

"The computer is also connected..." - suggest multiple connections.??? Or should i read : " also(by the way), computer is connected ...."

If problem to get Ethernet cable - move PC to the (main)router :D.....joking(still option). Can you get laptop with Ethernet port?

If WiFi is working on other devices - your DHCP(most likely on (main)router) seem fine there.
    If TP-Link is second router device, what purpose it serve, what configuration? is DHCP disabled on it? Is it set on IP, different than (main)router, that is excluded from DHCP range?
    Test another computer/laptop on TP-Link over Ethernet cable.

TP -Link is a Wifi powerline extender. I tested it on my own PC and it didn't work so that may be the problem but I don't know what to do about it. I have mo way of testing the ethernet directly from the router and i meant "also" as in "by the way"

• Advertisement

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    TP -Link is a Wifi powerline extender. I tested it on my own PC and it didn't work so that may be the problem but I don't know what to do about it. I have mo way of testing the ethernet directly from the router and i meant "also" as in "by the way"
    That is more info we can work on. What model TP-Link is? Did you configure it properly following instructions supplied with it?
    Videos for configuration could be found on YouTube for virtually any extender model

Model no. TL-WPA4220KIT. I'll look up them videos later on1

Just in case you missing manual

Sorry about the delay in a reply. Tried to reconfigure the TP link powerline extender but didn't help the situation. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

You need to get your hands on an ethernet cable. These are not really hard to find, ask around for a loan of one. You should have some that came with the router? Once you have your computer connected directly to the router, it is MUCH easier to troubleshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

degsie wrote: »
    You need to get your hands on an ethernet cable. These are not really hard to find, ask around for a loan of one. You should have some that came with the router? Once you have your computer connected directly to the router, it is MUCH easier to troubleshoot.

Dealz/Euro Giant have them for €1.50 so no big outpay for the OP

FanadMan wrote: »
    Dealz/Euro Giant have them for €1.50 so no big outpay for the OP
    I'm guessing "bump" here is not just Ethernet cable, but long Ethernet cable - hence extender needed.
    However, even it feels like problem lays with TP-Link extender, would be handy to eliminate this, by connecting PC directly to main router, to be sure.
    See post #10
    If problem to get Ethernet cable - move PC to the (main)router .....joking(still option).

If confirmed that no other devices can connect over TP-Link extender, check How to Troubleshoot a TP-Link Powerline Product
    Also, try to log on to TP-Link web interface and observe network settings(IP, Subnet mask, etc.) Full device manual

Advertisement