Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Changing Child's Name without consent

Options
  • 09-04-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello, we have accepted a 1st year place in a well-known Dublin secondary school starting Sept. When I was dropping off paperwork to the school today, the school secretary told me that "they" had been talking about my child's last name which "they" think is a "mouthful" and they want to shorten it, and she asked which of the double-barrell names could be dropped. I said that I didn't want either of the names dropped .... she said "we'll see ...." ..... so after a pause I said that the double-barrell names had been his since birth, that they were legally his name, and also his names by common usage ..... she paused and said that well, it was a really long name when his first name was used with the double-barrell surname and that it was quite common for the school to drop one of the double-barrell names .... I told her that both parents would be unhappy if there was an attempt to drop part of the child's name. The silence then hung in the air till I left and the matter was not resolved.

I am SURE that a school can't just independently change a child's name without parents consent can they? I phoned the Dept. of Education but they said that they had no experience of this but said they could provide no input as its between the school and the parents.
    Does anybody else have a view of this and the school's "right" to change a child's name from a double-barrell to a single surname just because they perceived the double-barrell name too long?
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Junior cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Humbird

Sorry, where should I have put this thread? If you can re-direct me I'll re-post it elsewhere .... thx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Humbird wrote: »
    Sorry, where should I have put this thread? If you can re-direct me I'll re-post it elsewhere .... thx

Stick it in After Hours;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It probably doesn't fit into their software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The chickens have come home to roost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭the14thwarrior

no one has the "right" "they" didnt say "they" had the "right" "they" made a comment and by "they" i think you mean school secretary. "I" "Can't" go on "like" this...... its exausting

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Humbird wrote: »
    the school secretary told me that "they" had been talking about my child's last name which "they" think is a "mouthful" and they want to shorten it, and she asked which of the double-barrell names could be dropped. I said that I didn't want either of the names dropped .... she said "we'll see ...."

Does anybody else have a view of this and the school's "right" to change a child's name from a double-barrell to a single surname just because they perceived the double-barrell name too long?
    C
    A child's (under 16 years of age) legal name can only be changed by Deed Poll providing everyone with parental responsibility (PR) for the child consents to the name change. You might want to inform this to the school secretary and "they' .. whoever "they" are...

Double barrell names are very normal these days so I don't know how it could cause an issue. Best of luck with the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The name should be correct for the certs issued for state exams. If you find that the school has entered a name other than you have provided just ask the school to provide a copy of their data protection policy. Then once you have a read of it ask them to explain the change in the context of the policy and the legistation.

Advertisement