Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stardew Valley - trying...but can't get into it.

• 10-04-2018 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the start of this very very slow ?
    There are no explanations as to what the buttons do or how to navigate menus....but I figured that out.

So I spend the first day chopping down trees and cutting grass and stuff...then I get hungry or tired and pas out. I am saved by some people passing by.

Wake up next day...chop and get grass and other bits. Eventually go to meet someone at a bridge. By then my man is hungry and tired...so he moves slowly...very slowly.
    I walk around WAITING for him to pass out rather than walk all the way back up to my house.

Pass out....wake up next day. Still not sure about food or how/what to plant or what to do really.
    I turn off the game and go watch TV instead.

Now anytime I boot it up it's like.....what am I meant to do without passing out and moving slowly and...

I want to give this a fair shake, people rant and rave about it being so good, I want to get to the stage where I actually enjoy it...but I can't get over this initial hump . Help please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't pass out. It will cost you money. Get home before 2am. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Your doing it wrong op. Get home earlier like Mr E said.

Also just bear in mind this game is a complete and utter time sink. I mean serious time sink. You just kinda go with it until one day you realize you’ve spent in excess of 100 hours building a life in a make believe world.

Look up projared’s review on the YouTube’s.

Ps.. I loved my time with this game on PS4 but glad I didn’t have the option to go handheld with it. Christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah, a big part of the game is trying to cram everything you want to do into a day without running out of energy. Keep an eye on the clock - especially in the mine - and you'll be fine.

What drove me at the start was fulfilling the quests in the community centre. People want things, and there are rewards if you find enough of that stuff, so there's a reason for you to plant a bunch of different crops and keep them watered, and to try and do a little bit of river or lake or sea fishing, or mining. No matter what you focus on as your main activity you need to do the other activities to be more successful. You need to do a little bit of everything.

This probably isn't a spoiler at this point but just in case :
    If you fulfill a certain number of quests in the community centre you get a greenhouse that lets you grow all the crops all year long including winter. And if you work VERY hard you might pull it off by 1st winter but definitely by 2nd. If you put the hours in, by the time you've got it you'll either have had your moneysworth from the game or you'll be hooked through the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Cheers for the tips lads.
    I'll give it a go again soon ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Few starter tips.

There is a box near your house. Whatever you put in here will be sold at the end of the day.

How to earn money.
    Chop trees to get wood and seeds and sap.
    Break rocks for stones.
    Go fishing.
    Find the mines and mine some minerals.

Dump everything in the box and go to bed. save up for the back pack in the store so you can carry more.

Then start farming. Buy seeds in the store. Watch the seasons, certain things only grow in certain seasons. If it changes season they all die. Water every day (hold down the water button to water 3 squares in a row). If you choose crops that keep giving fruit/veg like peppers. You can collect a few times a season.

You can sell it all via the box or at the store. Or eat it to regain energy.

Start picking up tasks around the town.

The rest is best discovered but that should get you over the hump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement