Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we protest against the pope's visit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Looks like there could be a bigger turnout in protest at the garden of remembrance than the pope got yesterday in town.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/update-thousands-gather-at-stand4truth-protest-in-garden-of-remembrance-864575.html

AdrianII wrote: »
    In fairness it was raining in Dublin until about 2pm. Most people would have needed to leave a few hours before the start to get in with the road closures.

Still a poor number from the 500k they expected.

I'm in Dublin & the heavy rain stopped before 9am It hasn't rained in Dublin 5 all afternoon.

If I had tickets for a Slane gig I'd be standing in the muck with 80,000 others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin & the heavy rain stopped before 9am It hasn't rained in Dublin 5 all afternoon.

If I had tickets for a Slane gig I'd be standing in the muck with 80,000 others

I live very near the Phoenix Park and it rained on and off up until just before he did his rounds in the Popemobile. Different parts of Dublin can vary a lot weather-wise. Still very gloomy now.

But I agree. The weather is an excuse. Umbrellas and raincoats are all that are needed. This weather was forecast so people were well able to prepare.

Turned on Rte to try get official numbers. I didn't but they did an ariel shot during the mass. They have the whole area boxed off in roughly square sections to accommodate 500,000. Because of this you can see the area they expected to be full and most of it is empty.

It's like the photo Sean Spicer showed at his first press conference where he had to lie on behalf of trump about the crowd size.

If that crowd is actually 130,000 it gives you a good idea of the low turnout yesterday in the city. They expected 100,000 yesterday so that's about 3/4s of the crowd you can see in the park now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

130,000? Wow.

Death knell for the influence of the Roman organisation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

130,000? Wow.

Tbh, the odds are you'll still have the census saying we're over 75% catholic, despite the non-mass attending, contraception using , same sex marriage approving, divorcing, sex before marriage-ing from large segments of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

130,000? Wow.

That hasn't happened this weekend just though.
    That has happened over the past ten years or so, recent referenda results point to this anyway, society is much more inclusive and tolerant than catholicism allows.
    If the CC is to somehow come back to anything like thriving, it must be driven by the wishes of its people, not try to drive its people to its will.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Tbh, the odds are you'll still have the census saying we're over 75% catholic, despite the non-mass attending, contraception using , same sex marriage approving, divorcing, sex before marriage-ing from large segments of the population.

I'm a catholic, mostly no practicing, but I will attend services at times, funerals and masses for family members and such.
    I still call myself catholic, that's my ethnicity I think, I maybe wrong, but if a document comes in, like the census, I will identify myself as being a catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So how does one leave?

That is like saying how do you get out of a room?
    Do you need to be shown where the door is?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Haha under 130k,only a "pilgrim" or two short of the predicted 500k, alot of that audience from abroad too. Considering the complete gulf between papal visit regarding financial and marketing resources, the protest demonstration attendances were far more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

500k was always madness

It's not the seventies anymore, seeing the pope isn't a big once in a lifetime opportunity, it's a 150 euro flight to Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

RTE just after claiming "500,000 tickets were booked out but only 150-300 thousand attended"

naughtb4 wrote:
    500k was always madness

naughtb4 wrote:
    It's not the seventies anymore, seeing the pope isn't a big once in a lifetime opportunity, it's a 150 euro flight to Rome

The population of Ireland has increased 1.4 million since 1979. People believed the census stating 78 percent RC when we clearly are below 50 percent. They thought that they would turn away another 500,000 on top of the 500,000 they were sure they would get in the park.

The church now needs to take a long look at itself.

The government needs to take a long look at how it views our population & the running of our schools.

The general public needs to take a long look at itself & in particular how it fills out the census form. Giving out about the control of the church isn't good enough if you really aren't RC don't put it on the census

Many lessons to be learned by all of us after this fiasco of a weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

130,000?

Thats really mad considering that a huge amount of those 130,000 do not live here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

130,000?

I hate to be petty but the Gardai actually said less than 130,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Gardai arent standing over that figure

Try_harder wrote:
    Gardai arent standing over that figure

Have you a link to that?

I haven't seen any tickets but I would have thought that like any gig or event that the tickets would be scanned on entry. I assumed this was how the Gardai released official numbers so quickly.

So the number could actually be less than 100,000? It looked about 85,000 to me going by 80,000 in Slane or 85,000 in Croke Park

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Edward M wrote: »
    I'm a catholic, mostly no practicing, but I will attend services at times, funerals and masses for family members and such.
    I still call myself catholic, that's my ethnicity I think, I maybe wrong, but if a document comes in, like the census, I will identify myself as being a catholic.
    According to Herr Ratzinger when he was in charge you must attend mass amongst other things to be a member of the club.
    Just because you identify as roman catholic doesn't make you one so why do you call yourself one if you aren't committed to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Why would a "Catholic" not want to pray and go to mass ?, what you actually mean is you have some sort of cultural catholic background, that's not what the census is asking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

?width=630&version=4202857
    ?width=630&version=4202862

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai, medics, catering and other staff are making up most of that crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

On the off chance that any of the organizers of the Stand 4 Truth event are reading this thread I would just like to say thank you. What a wonderful few hours spent with kind and compassionate people from all walks of life.

ethnicity!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

According to Herr Ratzinger when he was in charge you must attend mass amongst other things to be a member of the club.
    Just because you identify as roman catholic doesn't make you one so why do you call yourself one if you aren't committed to it?

So true. That's part of the problem, certainly in Ireland. You can't pick and mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Muahahaha wrote: »

Wow!

This pleases me.

Well done Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

On the off chance that any of the organizers of the Stand 4 Truth event are reading this thread I would just like to say thank you. What a wonderful few hours spent with kind and compassionate people from all walks of life.

A wonderful event, great music, lovely people and personally very healing. It was the salve needed at the end of a difficult few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

eviltwin wrote: »
    A wonderful event, great music, lovely people and personally very healing. It was the salve needed at the end of a difficult few weeks.

It was a wonderful event but I did find it extremely saddening at the same time. The way people were treated and abused is just wrong and should never have happened. As an Irish person I am ashamed that it happened in my country and that the organisation that perpetrated the crimes and covered them up was being celebrated by ~130k people in the Phoenix Park. ~130k people raising their caps to say we have no problem with the RCC. Faith can be practiced without providing validation to the RCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Muahahaha wrote: »

This was the largest audience to ever witness an mass in Ireland.

PERIOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

It looked like a great event, although "great" seems like the wrong word given the circumstances. I hope you understand what I mean. It appears to have been of benefit, again, the wrong word, to many people. I'd like to think the numbers that turned out were comforting for victims who attended. I hope they feel that the majority stand with them and hopefully this papal circus will initiate a change in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I couldnt make it. A friend shared Sarah Clancys poem. So powerful

*new verse for Sunday #Stand4Truth

Cherishing for Beginners

Cherish the meek
    cherish the ranchers
    cherish the guards
    cherish the bankers
    cherish the virgins
    then ride them and cherish their sisters,
    cherish tax exiles and entrepreneurs
    cherish the rewards of intergenerational privilege
    or if that's too hard for beginners
    sure cherish the Rose of Tralee for starters,
    cherish the goal and the point and the foul
    cherish the priest's dirty sheets
    but not the women who wash them,
    don't mention her
    or what she might need,
    go on though and cherish the IFSC
    and its type of laundries-
    those ones are fine,
    they are grand sure.
    Cherish Them.

Cherish the pope and his
    band of transglobal bootlickers
    cherish the bishops
    who moved paedophile priests
    around like chess pieces
    and were afflicted with severe mental reservations
    every time child rape was mentioned
    cherish the bureaucrats
    who know that the institution always comes first
    cherish the shame they implanted
    on the whole population
    then cherish the suicides
    as collateral damage
    in an otherwise virtuous struggle
    cherish the high moral ground
    they reached by tramping on
    the graves of dead babies,
    cherish the ring kissers
    who made it all possible
    sure give them a big round of applause
    don't they deserve it

Cherish the men
    because they couldn’t help it
    if the women and girls went and fell pregnant,
    cherish the foetus, the heartbeat,
    but not the person it's in
    then cherish the small graves
    in their undisclosed wastelands
    cherish the shovels
    and boot soles that dug them-
    let there be no doubt about it-
    Yes We Can!
    cherish the children
    if they're from the right class
    aren’t travelling people
    and are not for god’s sake
    seeking asylum,
    don't forget too that we must
    cherish the mute
    and cherish the sheepish
    but hate those in need,
    worship Fr Peter McVerry himself,
    go ahead make him an icon
    but don’t listen to what he’s saying
    about anything.

Cherish the poor
    for how you can use them
    to frighten those
    who are just one rung above
    cherish the people
    who learned early and often
    what happens to those
    with big mouths,
    cherish your local TDs,
    and the crowd in Listowel
    who didn't care that he raped her
    sure wasn't he one of their own?
    Yea cherish the rapist,
    why don't you?

Cherish the golf course
    and its sprinklers
    sure Irish Water will save us
    cherish piece work and internships,
    and zero hour contracts
    aren't you lucky you have a job at all?
    Do you not remember the coffin ships
    and are you not grateful?
    Yea cherish your own exploitation
    cherish the school board,
    for our lack of gay teachers,
    cherish women's place in the home
    then cut their allowances,
    sure they don’t deserve them
    having all of those children
    repeat after me- Cherish Privatisation;
    and if you don't then you better learn
    to cherish the knock on your door
    in Jobstown in the morning.
    Consider this a warning.

Cherish Dev and Pearse
    and blood sacrifice
    but don't mention James Connolly
    who said until Ireland's women are free
    none of us will be, most of all though
    cherish outsourcing and remember
    your call is important,
    you too will be cherished equally
    if you can afford it
    as soon as an operator
    becomes available
    which may well take
    another hundred years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I couldnt make it. A friend shared Sarah Clancys poem. So powerful
    Terrible ****e. Looks like something plagiarised from Michael Ds early works

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

PERIOD!

No, it wasn't. Phoenix Park 1979 was.

Then Galway 1979.

This doesn't even come close. This was a massive flop. And they won't even beat this number again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

So you never heard about JP 2 rocking the mic in 79. Over a mill dude, Frank barely managed 130k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

FFS

Seanspicerinauguration.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If those pictures are real, and taken at the time of the mass, rather than a few hours before or after, then I must admit that I am delighted too.

My faith has been restored in the Irish people. It can be seen that they planned X numbers of pens to hold X number of people, and the vast majority they were expecting couldn't be arsed to come.

Well done folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Edgware wrote: »
    hard to imagine you could fit so much sh.te on one page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Edgware wrote: »

Yes,sh1t poem
    Doesn't even rhyme
    What a waste
    Of my time

Mic drop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

"I had never heard about those mothers, they called it the women's laundry, when an unmarried woman got pregnant, she went to the hospital or school, and the sisters ran those, and then they gave the child away for adoption to people."

From the Pope, on board his plane out of Ireland, as per RTE news.

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

elefant wrote: »

WTF?

I posted earlier that he was either ignorant, misinformed or a liar. He's a liar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

elefant wrote: »

WTF?

Deny Deny Deny
    Cover up Cover up Cover up

The church continues its everpresent method of dealing with anything.

Scum, the lot of them, including the 120,000 people in attendance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Or maybe Ireland just isn't particularly relevant to the CC. Do you really think the Pope has given one minute thinking to Ireland before he was informed that the WMoF was taking place here?

We are just 5m people, in a country rapidly moving away from the CC. They had a good run here, but it is akin to the cigarette companies. Sure they will continue to sell here, but no point getting too worried about a declining market.

As other posters have said, FF gave the CC immunity (pretty much) on child abuse claims so there really is no need to spend too much time on it.

As I was watching the RTE discussion last night, and a few things struck me.

Ursula Halligan was going out about the CC not represented her and others in the LGBT community. Whilst I agree with her sentiment, I fail to understand why she even considers herself a catholic when the rules of the club have always stated that they don't want her. (this is nothing personal about Ursula but a more general point).

She stated that the CC doesn't represent her, ok, so I understand that that is hurtful but why continue to support it? Why continue to go to mass and listen to the sermons? Go find a religion that does represent you.

The CC know that they have, or at least had, a captive audience. That they could do almost whatever they liked and people were tied into the CC for life. The point being that the person has changed, or rather they lack of ability to simply accept, whilst the CC has largely stayed the same.

Why would a "Catholic" not want to pray and go to mass ?, what you actually mean is you have some sort of cultural catholic background, that's not what the census is asking though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsed_Catholic

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Or maybe Ireland just isn't particularly relevant to the CC. Do you really think the Pope has given one minute thinking to Ireland before he was informed that the WMoF was taking place here?

We are just 5m people, in a country rapidly moving away from the CC. They had a good run here, but it is akin to the cigarette companies. Sure they will continue to sell here, but no point getting too worried about a declining market.

As other posters have said, FF gave the CC immunity (pretty much) on child abuse claims so there really is no need to spend too much time on it.

The CC know that they have, or at least had, a captive audience. That they could do almost whatever they liked and people were tied into the CC for life. The point being that the person has changed, or rather they lack of ability to simply accept, whilst the CC has largely stayed the same.

Were you listening to Newstalk this morning? Because they pretty much said exactly this, and that the RCC should now focus on emerging markets in LATAM and Africa. I agree, as the western world has gotten wise to their ways and the only way to keep the organisation going is to prey on the lesser well off areas of the world. Like Ireland used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

ELM327 wrote: »
    Were you listening to Newstalk this morning? Because they pretty much said exactly this, and that the RCC should now focus on emerging markets in LATAM and Africa. I agree, as the western world has gotten wise to their ways and the only way to keep the organisation going is to prey on the lesser well off areas of the world. Like Ireland used to be.

And I'm am fairly certain that in 20 years or so we will be hearing about the very same types of abuse in those countries that went on here. Very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Deny Deny Deny
    Cover up Cover up Cover up

The church continues its everpresent method of dealing with anything.

Scum, the lot of them, including the 120,000 people in attendance

Mod: Blanket insulting large swathes of people is not on. Don't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It was a wonderful event but I did find it extremely saddening at the same time. The way people were treated and abused is just wrong and should never have happened.

That's how I felt too -just feeling that maybe a large proportion of the crowd gathered at the Garden of Remembrance had been abused themselves was very powerful. I hope they got some hope that people are genuinely willing to stand with them now, and listen to what they have to say.

Mod: Blanket insulting large swathes of people is not on. Don't do it again.
    Apologies.I'm just rather annoyed at those who can support such an organisation given that the head of it can continue to lie, from the lies about the mother and baby homes, to the fact a known paedophile cover up priest was in the cavalcade directly behind the pope yesterday.

What I was trying to say was that the RCC organisation is corrupt and they derive validation from the numbers who tick boxes or attend events.

Perhaps I could/should have worded my initial post a little clearer. Mea Culpa.

Apologies.I'm just rather annoyed at those who can support such an organisation given that the head of it can continue to lie, from the lies about the mother and baby homes, to the fact a known paedophile cover up priest was in the cavalcade directly behind the pope yesterday.

What I was trying to say was that the RCC organisation is corrupt and they derive validation from the numbers who tick boxes or attend events.

Perhaps I could/should have worded my initial post a little clearer. Mea Culpa.

I understand your frustration & annoyance & I'm probably on the same side as you but we must respect other peopls beliefs even if they differ to ours. I am angry with the church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It looks like the protest of buying tickets and not using them has completly backfired. It has just given some people a handy scapegoat for the low attendance yesterday.

matrim wrote: »
    It looks like the protest of buying tickets and not using them has completly backfired. It has just given some people a handy scapegoat for the low attendance yesterday.

Tons of tickets being given away online. Many people decided to apply in their family names several times thinking that they had a better chance of getting tickets. They then ended up with dozens more than needed. These ended up on come & take me for free sites & groups, DoneDeal, Adverts & Boards all for free. I saw these still available Saturday night.

Don't let anyone tell you that it was the protester. Anyone that wanted to go could have gone. Anyone that wanted to go went. People just didn't want to go

• Advertisement
Advertisement