Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we protest against the pope's visit?

1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Tons of tickets being given away online. Many people decided to apply in their family names several times thinking that they had a better chance of getting tickets. They then ended up with dozens more than needed. These ended up on come & take me for free sites & groups, DoneDeal, Adverts & Boards all for free. I saw these still available Saturday night.

Don't let anyone tell you that it was the protester. Anyone that wanted to go could have gone. Anyone that wanted to go went. People just didn't want to go

I know that but it doesn't stop it being used as an excuse. Every article about the low attendance mentioned the protest and poeple are using it as an excuse, hence my comment, that it backfired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

matrim wrote:
    I know that but it doesn't stop it being used as an excuse. Every article about the low mentioned the protest and poeople are using it as an excuse, hence my comment, that it backfired

They are blaming the weather too. Ignore them. They know. Even the Pope knows. Message sent loud and clear.

Dublin City only got a fifth of the 100,000 expected to greet the Pope on Saturday . No ticket needed & a beautiful sunny day. People just cou be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I understand your frustration & annoyance & I'm probably on the same side as you but we must respect other peopls beliefs even if they differ to ours. I am angry with the church

Why must we respect other people's beliefs? We would happily attack another person's political leaning without fear. If someone tells me the earth is flat, must I button my lip or can I call their belief ludicrous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I understand your frustration & annoyance & I'm probably on the same side as you but we must respect other peopls beliefs even if they differ to ours. I am angry with the church
    I will not respect nonsense and bunkum tbh, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable to insult people because of it. Hence why I have apologised for the comment.

There's a big difference between respecting someone's beliefs and respecting their right to hold those beliefs.

I will do the latter begrudgingly but not the former.

Why must we respect other people's beliefs? We would happily attack another person's political leaning without fear. If someone tells me the earth is flat, must I button my lip or can I call their belief ludicrous?

That's fine. I challenge others beliefs myself. I was quoting someone that called everyone at the mass scum. There is a huge difference between a proper debate and challenging something compared to calling everyone that disagrees with you scum

I think flat earthers are nuts to believe what they believe but that doesn't make them scum.

There is nothing wrong with basic manners while you challenge someone. Even the cop in the states will call you sir and mam as they arrest you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

who is to say this is the busiest time of the day at all? pfff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And I'm am fairly certain that in 20 years or so we will be hearing about the very same types of abuse in those countries that went on here. Very sad.

This is the worrying thing, and you'd nearly put the mortgage on that happening for sure.

I have heard the last few days about how Ireland now has future abuse covered, it shouldn't happen, and with mandatory reporting etc, it will be tough to abuse young people.

But paedo's are very resourceful. If they cannot do it in Ireland, then poor places who are welcoming to the CC like parts of Africa and the Far East will be the next hot bed of child abuse. Just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

So you will be off to the Saudi embassy tomorrow to protest about their barbarity I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Edgware wrote: »
    So you will be off to the Saudi embassy tomorrow to protest about their barbarity I suppose

If they show signs of wanting to run our schools and hospitals, then absolutely.
    But let's fix our own leaky roof first before dictating to other people how to fix theirs, yeah?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

volchitsa wrote: »
    If they show signs of wanting to run our schools and hospitals, then absolutely.
    But let's fix our own leaky roof first before dictating to other people how to fix theirs, yeah?

The Cash family will fix your roof and sort out your tarmacadam drive boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

matrim wrote: »
    I know that but it doesn't stop it being used as an excuse. Every article about the low attendance mentioned the protest and poeple are using it as an excuse, hence my comment, that it backfired

Yeah, but they're also mentioning "health and safety gone mad", and whatever other nonsense that inking paper won't refuse. That they should have been charging money for the tickets, even. Right, think that one through, maybe.

People will always have excuses; that doesn't mean they convince anyone that wasn't determined to be convinced anyway.

Ahbutwhaddaboudamuslims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Ahbutwhaddaboudamuslims.

It's a fair point though, I've a colleague who has never stopped calling Catholics every bad name under the sun and yet defends Muslims to the hilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

If The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia arrives here to tell me what a real family is and to lie about his involment in decades of barbarity against my fellow countrymen and women then of course i'll protest

It's a fair point though, I've a colleague who has never stopped calling Catholics every bad name under the sun and yet defends Muslims to the hilt.

It'd be a fair point if we were discussing your colleague, and had a full account of what they'd said on these topics!

It's not really a matter of which is the better (OK, least worst!) religion, in some supposedly objective isolated manner. You have to look at it in the context of broader geopolitics, not to mention local conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ah these imaginary colleagues. Funny none of these people ever come on and say these crazy things themselves isn't it. It's almost as though they are being completely misrepresented. Or just invented for the purposes of deflection from the catholic religion and the harm it has done this country.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Has he or she published a manifesto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Has he or she published a manifesto?
    A womanifesto perhaps?

814.jpg

Probably like all the politicians and comedians who wont criticise Muslims extremists, scared of their ****e to do so

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Have any of those that posted defending the Pope and the CC actually taken the time to read the PA grand Jury report?

It is 900 pages (+500 of appendix) so its a long read, (I haven't read it all yet) but it is seriously harrowing stuff.

The reason why it is so detailed is they actually got access to the secret archives, that was where are the evidence that the CC had was kept.

One part is they used to give gold crosses to kids after they had abused them so that other priests would know that that child had already been initiated (that is my word as I can't recall or find the actual term used at the moment) and thus they could target that child themselves.

I defy anybody to read it and come out with any other impression than the CC should be kept as far away from children as possible and never trusted again.

It should be registered as a sex offender and never allowed anywhere near children again. It took the Pope 6 days to respond to the report! And when he did is was much ado about nothing.

Whatever excuses are used, it is clear that the event was a big let down on expectations and a massive fall off since 1979. Hopefully the church can see that the tide has turned and they are nothing but a special pleading case living off history and will continue to fall off in relevance.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Have any of those that posted defending the Pope and the CC actually taken the time to read the PA grand Jury report?

It is 900 pages (+500 of appendix) so its a long read, (I haven't read it all yet) but it is seriously harrowing stuff.

The reason why it is so detailed is they actually got access to the secret archives, that was where are the evidence that the CC had was kept.

Yeah I heard it is harrowing stuff. I did hear a few stories from it which sickened me.

How did the investigators get access to the secret archives?

The report is here is anyone wants to look at it.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/report/

There is also a video from the abuse survivors.

Netflix documentary called The Keepers tell of some of the abuse in the 60's and 70s. Its shocking to hear what the priests did. The stuff the priests told these girls is shocking. They literally used God to make these girls think that it was normal

Advertisement