Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with micro dog and pet insurance

Options
  • 10-04-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys,
    My GF and I are about to look for a new apartment and we got a small quiet chihuahua. I know, especially in this rent crisis, will be almost impossible to find anything.. but what about if I have a pet insurance that covers for any damages that might be caused by my dog?
    LLs opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you lie about the dog your landlord is entitled to terminate the lease early and kick you out, remember that.

I have seen many people post threads / rant on Facebook about landlords removing them because of pets they lied about. Also keep in mind the dog may be quiet now , but if you move to an apartment and a neighbour has something that makes ultrasonic frequencies or theres an odd sound travelling the dog may go a bit mad and bark like mad which will give the game up pretty quick.

my advice if you find a property that accepts dogs is to bring the dog with you to the viewing to make sure its not hearing something that drives it mad, and to not try pull a fast one at all on a landlord who does not accept dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

We got lucky in that we found an apartment we liked, noticed other people in the complex had dogs (we'd wanted to rescue/adopt for ages but couldn't previously), and asked our letting agent to ask the landlord - they came back and said yes. I think had we already had the dog we wouldn't have been offered the apartment in the first place.

We were planning on buying anyway, and are in the process of doing so, but I'd be feeling pretty pessimistic about finding an apartment that would allow the pooch in if I was back on that trail! Be upfront with the agent at the viewing, and maybe bring the dog in a carrier when you go (it'll show that they're well behaved and genuinely small). I'd bring a copy of the policy with you but I wouldn't offer it up immediately - the last thing you want to do is draw attention to the fact that pets can destroy things!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 zioaxiom

Thanks, guys.. but, just to be clear, I never mentioned about lying to the LL/agent :) Moreover, I'm ok to offer more money, if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zioaxiom wrote: »
    Moreover, I'm ok to offer more money, if needed.
    Bring a picture or the dog, specifically standing next to someone for size comparison, and offer maybe an extra €500-€1000 "pet" deposit on top of the existing deposit.

• Advertisement

exactly. the little fella here is smaller than a 2lt bottle of water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

exactly. the little fella here is smaller than a 2lt bottle of water :D
    Ah you have to post a picture now!
    Good luck I agree with the other posted - I think offering the extra deposit etc would be a big help.

eheheh here's him

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7gow14aob62ofn/IMG_1836.JPG?dl=0
    ps: it's been a while since list time I posted here and looks like I can't attach an image any longer :\

Ah he is adorable...tinchy little thing :) good luck

luckily he's extremely quiet and spend most of its time sleeping. I walk him twice per day and since I work from home he's never alone. Finger crossed!

• Advertisement

luckily he's extremely quiet and spend most of its time sleeping. I walk him twice per day and since I work from home he's never alone. Finger crossed!
    Those should all work in your favour as well...quiet dog, someone at home all day so dog wont be bored, barking, scratching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

I had tenants with a St Bernard and it caused less damage than tenants with kids. 😠I wouldn't bother with the insurance or offer of extra - you are kind of implying the dog will definitely destroy the place. Just be honest and hope for the best. Not all landlords ban dogs.

Advertisement