Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension question

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you fail to provide the most basic of information, then you should not expect that people will give you their best advice!
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    With respect, we are at very different stages of life. My wife earns more than me and my kids are a long time off college.

The fact that you have a young family means that you have a long term commitment to cover. And the question remains - how are you and your wife covered for income protection in the event of a disability to one or both of you.
    I feel, for me, that the pension is the way to go right now with a view for the rest in time.

Well you have your answer then. Don't expect people to validate it, which seems to be what this is about.
    I was just looking for advice from anyone that had been in my position before and had to make the same decision.....

For me it is very simple - first make sure you can honour the commitment to you kids, then think about your own pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

@jim2007

Not sure why you are being so aggressive and condescending but I didn't ask for YOUR opinion specifically and if my question and/or opinion is so ridiculous then I'm not sure why someone like yourself would lower themselves to reply to me.

I was not necessarily asking for professional advice, more advice from individuals that have had to make these decisions themselves and how they felt about their choice and whether they choose the same again.

I apologize for not knowing all the correct info to give random strangers over the internet on a subject I know next to nothing about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not sure why you are being so aggressive and condescending but I didn't ask for YOUR opinion specifically and if my question and/or opinion is so ridiculous then I'm not sure why someone like yourself would lower themselves to reply to me.

"so aggressive and condescending" => people who don't agree with your opinion. Got it.

When you ask for opinions on a public forum, all you can do is ignore those you don't want to hear, but you don't seem to what to do that....

Since you have not told us that you have income protection on your wife's income either, I guess we'll draw our own conclusions on that one.
    I was not necessarily asking for professional advice, more advice from individuals that have had to make these decisions themselves and how they felt about their choice and whether they choose the same again.

And that is exactly what you got, a non professional opinion on what my choice - family obligations before personal pension. The fact that it is not what you wanted to hear is not my problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is this the right room for an argument?

Advertisement