Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow needs a skate park

Options
  • 10-04-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I genuinely don't know why we haven't got one. Carlow is a great town with so many activites on offer but it's missing an outdoor skate park.

I feel like the people of the town would benefit greatly from a skate park. It would offer an alternative in outdoor physical activity for those who don't follow the usual routes of football, rugby, soccer etc. In a safe designated space rather than on the roadside or outside buildings.

As well as that it would draw in people who are not from town but want to avail of the experience.

Not only that it would provide a safe open space with room for kids to learn to cycle, rollerskate or skateboard and then develop and possibly master those skills.

I have 2 children and live in the town in an area that now has rather high traffic levels. It isn't safe.

A skate park would offer the opportunity to put their bikes in the car and head there for a couple of hours of outdoor activity.

Less and less children these days are learning how to ride bikes or use rollerblades and skateboards it's a real shame and so much of it has to do with a lack of suitable spaces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The below was from February last year the Sinn Fein councillor talking out of his arse by the looks of it.

They are going on a few jollys around the Country looking at skate parks as well nice long weeks away at our expense by the looks of it.

Location for new skateboard park in Carlow Town decided
    A new skatepark for Carlow will be located on the Burrin Road in the town

The €170,000 project has been given the green light and members of the council plan to visit similar facilities around the country now before construction starts on it.

Meanwhile it has been proposed that young people from Carlow decorate the completed project in Graffiti, as an art project.

Speaking to KCLR news, Councillor John Cassin says by doing this, they hope it will decrease the amount of unwanted graffiti in the town.

https://kclr96fm.com/location-new-skateboard-park-carlow-town-decided/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

agreed the town needs one...

can see the headline in the nationalist now..

"Councillor talking out of his arse Shocker!" :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Myself and my friends used to skate in Carlow about 12 or 13 years ago and we were told there was one in planning so I wouldn’t hold my breath. We used to skate around town and make our own ramps. We’d take the bus to Dublin once a month to go to skate parks there. I think there is now a skate park in Tullow if your kids are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

Thanks I didn't know there was one in Tullow, would definitely be interested. Where in Tullow is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was only thinking the same myself the other day. They have a great setup up by K leisure in Naas with the gym and pitches etc and a skate park down the road.

It would be great to see something like the above at that vacant land beside the boardwalk.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/K+Leisure+Naas/@53.2159126,-6.6827953,228m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486778b248a83ab9:0xa2ca1a5f0a650338!8m2!3d53.2157276!4d-6.6827839

Vacant plot

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Carlow+Town+Park/@52.8395262,-6.934005,459m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x485d42ab9a3f167f:0x559dedf7dbed60aa!8m2!3d52.8394711!4d-6.935474

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

emalou wrote: »
    Thanks I didn't know there was one in Tullow, would definitely be interested. Where in Tullow is it?

Its behind the credit union as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

I have just seen a post on the facebook page of a local councillor signalling the go ahead for a new skate park 'at lands adjacent to the River Burrin, Linear Park, Paupish Lane' ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ˜Š

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

The 1 in Tullow can also be accessed from Tesco, it’s literaly down the side of it. Great amenity for kids & young people alike.
    I’ve always felt that the council should have invested in the Braun site & developed it for community use. Park runs, skateboard park, kids park, exercise machinery ala oak park, the potential for it was enormous. Ample parking & easy in/out access, it really was a lost opportunity on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I feel this is a waste of money. It won't be long before there is vandalism in the park. And a big push for cctv to be installed. I hope I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see today that they have given the go ahead to start the build at the end of the year it will cost €250k and take 3/4 months to build.

That is without the annual cost of CCTV or insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement