Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Question

• 10-04-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm hoping to eventually join the full time force, and have been for a some time. However last year I had a car accident and broke several bones in my back. I'm nearly fully recovered, but still struggle with some tasks like bending etc. I'm now worried that this will immediately eliminate me from any competition as the injuries may be considered a liability (although I've been told that with time I should be back to near perfect health with the exception of bad back pain every now and then), anyone have any experience of this (or something similar) in the medical?

I'm not bothered if I have to wait a few years until I'm fully healed, but one thing that is an issue is that I cannot do any form of sit-up and have been told that I probably won't be able to for a long time because of the injuries. Does anyone know of any exemptions in the pct for things like this?

I feel like I'm a very strong candidate otherwise with experience in emergency services already and of the right personality, but as I say I fear this is the one thing that will stop me joining altogether.

Any help from anyone (especially serving/trainee members) would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

jnap wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to eventually join the full time force, and have been for a some time. However last year I had a car accident and broke several bones in my back. I'm nearly fully recovered, but still struggle with some tasks like bending etc. I'm now worried that this will immediately eliminate me from any competition as the injuries may be considered a liability (although I've been told that with time I should be back to near perfect health with the exception of bad back pain every now and then), anyone have any experience of this (or something similar) in the medical?

I'm not bothered if I have to wait a few years until I'm fully healed, but one thing that is an issue is that I cannot do any form of sit-up and have been told that I probably won't be able to for a long time because of the injuries. Does anyone know of any exemptions in the pct for things like this?

I feel like I'm a very strong candidate otherwise with experience in emergency services already and of the right personality, but as I say I fear this is the one thing that will stop me joining altogether.

Any help from anyone (especially serving/trainee members) would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear about your accident. If you have a report from your doctor/consultant for your back at the time of your medical deeming you for for the job I'd think that that would be enough however,
    I highly doubt they make allowances for PCT for any candidates with injuries given that the PCT is a process of illumination for people who can't pass it. The standard is set and if you can't reach that standard then your not deemed to be fit to be a garda trainee (You get two chances at the PCT) Although, time may be on your side. You have until you are 35 to apply. So if you are hoping to make a full recovery hopefully it will be before that time.

Advertisement