Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Geography 2018

Options
  • 10-04-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So we have two geography teachers in my school both Higher level. One of the teachers is saying you shouldn't exceed the word count or you lose a lot of marks and the other is saying you should go above the word count so you can fill in every space (2000 words +). I have my fieldtrip capped according to the word count but it looks so empty compared to the other classes fieldtrip. Is it fine if I exceed the word limit or will I lose a lot of marks?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC has stipulated a word count. They have done that for a reason.

A recent Chief Examiner's report notes:
    Examiners also noted that a minority of candidates did not focus their argument precisely as required under the different headings in the report. (my bold)

There may well be anecdotal reports that people with much higher word counts than permitted scored well, but the rule is there, nonetheless, and should be followed.

Has either of the Geography teachers actually corrected for the SEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AzureBlue62

spurious wrote: »
    The SEC has stipulated a word count. They have done that for a reason.

A recent Chief Examiner's report notes:
    Examiners also noted that a minority of candidates did not focus their argument precisely as required under the different headings in the report. (my bold)

There may well be anecdotal reports that people with much higher word counts than permitted scored well, but the rule is there, nonetheless, and should be followed.

Has either of the Geography teachers actually corrected for the SEC?

Both have them corrected for the SEC and both use their own method...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Both have them corrected for the SEC and both use their own method...

That's quite odd.
    Well one of them is wrong and not following instructions.
    I would side with the one who follows the SEC instructions and insists on a word count.

That's quite odd.
    Well one of them is wrong and not following instructions.
    I would side with the one who follows the SEC instructions and insists on a word count.
    But if I get an examener that doesn't care about the word count then my field trip looks like crap compared to the other class's fieldtrip which has way more words

An Examiner is supposed to follow the marking scheme which is why I find your two contradictory teachers strange. One of them is not doing their job properly.

If you get what you think is a strange mark, you can always appeal.

• Advertisement

An Examiner is supposed to follow the marking scheme which is why I find your two contradictory teachers strange. One of them is not doing their job properly.

If you get what you think is a strange mark, you can always appeal.

I'm going to just follow the 1000 words cap and hopefully the examener penalises the other class for writing too much

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

You can go over but don't take the piss and make it obvious. No examiner is going to count every word but if you've an extra two pages than the rest of other reports he's correcting he'll know you've gone over. I would only go a max of 150 over.

Advertisement