Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick painting job price

Options
  • 10-04-2018 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

couple of doors up from us having their whole outside of the house painted in masonry paint.

2 fellas , big ladders, painting it with roller. Wife says to me do us a favour Andy will you pop down and ask how much they would charge to paint our 2 Dormer parts upstairs that jut out from the roof , just the front.

Last summer I had painted all the house and wall around the house bar the upstairs dormer bits because of 2 reasons , I dont have high enough ladders and even if i did I get vertigo going up a ladder that high (yeah I know I am a wuss!)

popped down there "Hi, how ya doing?" - sorry to disturb you, I am just from a few doors up (well they would know that because they have seen me in front garden and waved a couple of times) - how much would you charge to paint just the dormer bits on my house - explained that I cannot get up there with my ladder that it wont reach, dont need whole house painted as I done the rest last summer and its fine..... bit of silence , he followed me to front of house he was painting at and I pointed to the dormer bits poking out "just them bits I said, just at the front of the house" and then he spoke (shouldn't generalise) but it was in an eastern european accent (could have been Polish or Lithuanian but I can never tell the difference in the accents myself ) 300 he said .... I said just the bits at the top (making an arch/dormer shape) he nodded, I said and me supplying the paint? and no powerwashing or anything? - yes he said. "OK thanks, I shall have to save up some money" I said - took his number anyway.

Goes back to our own house , wife shouts down "well?" - 300 quid I says! .. your joking , no, I'm deadly serious - and you did say it was just the upstairs dormer bits only - yep?

i mean, its got to be an hour of painting at the most ... I know how much I managed to paint in an hour ..... with a brush! - "50quid tops thats what I thought you were gonna say" mrs says, me too to be honest.

Again shouldnt generalise but I thought seeing as they had ladders already in situ 2 doors up and could just walk over carrying the ladders and i just thought they might do cash in hand or something (again sorry for generalising) .

Now, I know all the other caveats that I shouldnt be a tight wad, and that I shouldnt underestimate their work and time and labour and expertise and all that .. and that if the people who pay for a whole house paint will feel done if they only charge 50 quid to do our dormer bits - I know all that and appreciate that - but i just suppose its shock of how much they said they will charge for doing such a small job.

ah, well I suppose the only way it is going to get painted now is to try and find an 'odd job' bloke who wants to earn enough for a few pints and and not afraid to go up high on a ladder - other than that it will have to stay unpainted like it has for the last 6 months or so :)

447829.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cool story

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Cool story bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

And and his not made up stories - such fun

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You could probably buy a ladder for 50 quid. Is your wife also a wuss or could she do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

was it good price - thats what I should have asked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Maybe move house to a cheaper area with cheaper painters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I would have thought €100 but certainly not €300

You could probably buy a ladder for 50 quid. Is your wife also a wuss or could she do it?

show me a high ladder you can buy for 50 quid (one thats not falling to bits or dangerous) :D

yes, she most probably would go up there she not a wuss like me , she goes co-steering and everything and next wants to try that high up wire thing :D

Maybe move house to a cheaper area with cheaper painters?

I've always said I like bungalow houses better - for this point being one reason ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Only one option burn the house.....

Then build a new one that doesn't require painting.... Win win situation....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You should start a blog called "this weeks unreasonable expense/ non freebie that im going to whinge about"

Everyone benefits, you get an online audience and we dont have to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

GoneHome wrote: »
    I would have thought €100 but certainly not €300

Would you do a job for €100? What would you do for it?

Oh and go back down to the guys and tell them you would do it for €50.

If they are a legitimate set up they would need to be charging that for vat and tax purposes.

They would be lucky to come out with half of that.

Stheno wrote: »
    You should start a blog called "this weeks unreasonable expense/ non freebie that im going to whinge about"

Everyone benefits, you get an online audience and we dont have to read it.

I read this does that count...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is your Mrs hot?

I have long ladders and am a good painter. ;)

Try_harder wrote: »
    Would you do a job for €100? What would you do for it?

hell yeah! , what a job under an hour? .. with all stuff like paint brushes and paint supplied - show me the way (as long as its not high up ;) )

Oh and go back down to the guys and tell them you would do it for €50.

If they are a legitimate set up they would need to be charging that for vat and tax purposes.

They would be lucky to come out with half of that.

;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Telling you it was €300 was just a polite way to say PFO but if some sucker had said yes then happy days.

For that money you could buy a drone and some spray paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

€300; FFS I got the whole 2 storey house(large) done for €200,2 days,tax reg,qualified painter and Irish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's Andy , no doubt the painters read AH and don't want anything to do with him, so they give a high price hoping he'll quietly fcuk off. . but oh no ,he goes and starts another thread in AH that'll go all over the place like a mad man's ****e

• Advertisement

I'll do it for €250 I'll only drop the the €50 if the wife's hot though.....

I'll do it for €250 I'll only drop the the €50 if the wife's hot though.....

perv :D

perv :D

Don't tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Just lean out your windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Is that Andys auld doll bending over?
    Screenshot_20180410_200556.png

https://ibb.co/hW9FNH

Wesser wrote: »
    Just lean out your windows.

i was thinking about that - have to have a safety harness though .... - was even thinking of abseiling the roof .. but as I say I am no good with heights ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got a quote for the outside of the house just tonight and it's €140 per day.

How could a legitimate company do it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats not bad. probably a bit cheap reaally

• Advertisement

thats more like it

Advertisement