Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to gear system?

Options
  • 10-04-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Query: popped out for evening cycle with small one in rear seat. Stopped on a hill to talk to the donkeys (naturally). Went to take off uphill, too low gear, clicked down and pushed off to a real "clack / crunch" , bike found gear as we got momentum

BUT

There is NOW a rhythmic click , as if the bike is going to change gears or is searching for gear, roughly every third pedal rotation. Sometimes discreet, sometimes quite loud. (****!)
    It never actually changed gears unprompted but sounds like it is trying to. When I watch the gears, it looks like the rear derailleur gives a little "hop".

Any advice / opinions welcome. Shop I bought bike from is 1hr 30 mins drive. There is a small local bike rental place in my town - would I be better returning to my bike dealer?

Gutted if I've done damage already 😣😓
    + .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just needs slight re-indexing I'd say. Its a minor minor job that can be done with a screwdriver. A workstand makes it easier but you can do without.

Youtube is your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

CAUTION!

Based on the third pedal-rotation thing, you might have loosened a link of the chain, and it is now sticking out and clicking against something in the drivetrain.

The worry is that the link could come apart completely, leading to the chain parting, and you falling off (and possibly damaging your privates against the top-tube!).

Rotate the chain backwards slowly, looking from above, and checking each link for damage. The issue might also take the form of a tight link (because one of the plates is bent, and it rubbing hard on its neighbour), which would mean that it will not rotate properly when it goes through the rear derailleur's jockey wheels.

The good news is that your LBS (or maybe the rental place, if you get chatting) can probably fix it quite easily by replacing the damaged/opened link with a speed link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Plek Trum wrote: »

Well done for deleting a thread in which you were given advice and which may have been helpful to others with similar problems in the future.

Fixed

Advertisement