Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant account

Options
  • 10-04-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

If I want to reactivate a dormant account can I go to the nearest BOI or do I have to go to where I opened my account originally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

kerdiff wrote: »
    If I want to reactivate a dormant account can I go to the nearest BOI or do I have to go to where I opened my account originally.
    Hi kerdiff,

Thanks for posting here on Boards.

You can call into any branch with your photo ID and they can get in touch with your account holding branch to request the dormant indicator to be removed.

This will take one business day to take effect and once removed you will have access to your account.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

kerdiff wrote: »
    Hi kerdiff,

Thanks for posting here on Boards.

You can call into any branch with your photo ID and they can get in touch with your account holding branch to request the dormant indicator to be removed.

This will take one business day to take effect and once removed you will have access to your account.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane
    As a person who has just wasted valuable time going to a Bank of Ireland branch to get a dormancy notice lifted, I would like to point out that a dormancy indicator can only be lifted if the cash counter is active at that time in the bank.

So I have to go back again during the time when the cash counter is open i.e between 10am and 12:30pm

Who the hell makes up these rules???..................and where the hell is a customer supposed to find this out???

A very very disgruntled customer!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks mph_96 for getting in touch to share your Branch experience with us.

An account can become inactive if there has been no activity on the account for a 3 year period. With a dormant account, it's no transactions for 15 years or more.

Perhaps it was an inactive account rather than a dormant account you had with us?

An inactive account usually requires a transaction and ID to reinstate the account, this maybe the reason why they were unable to assist if the cashier desk was not available when you visited.

Our cashier services for our Branches can be checked within our Branch Locator - https://goo.gl/YG561e

We appreciate your feedback here today and will forward this to our Branch Network Team.

If you have any further questions please feel free to come back to us here.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

Thanks mph_96 for getting in touch to share your Branch experience with us.

An account can become inactive if there has been no activity on the account for a 3 year period. With a dormant account, it's no transactions for 15 years or more.

Perhaps it was an inactive account rather than a dormant account you had with us?

An inactive account usually requires a transaction and ID to reinstate the account, this maybe the reason why they were unable to assist if the cashier desk was not available when you visited.

Our cashier services for our Branches can be checked within our Branch Locator - https://goo.gl/YG561e

We appreciate your feedback here today and will forward this to our Branch Network Team.

If you have any further questions please feel free to come back to us here.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Thanks for getting back to me. It is appreciated.

As I was having issues with using my Banking 365 facilities to transfer money from this account, I rang Banking 365 for an explanation prior to doing anything.

I was told that my account was dormant and that I needed to visit a branch of Bank of Ireland with Photo ID. A sum of money was transferred electronically to this account in Sept 17.

I am not having a "go" at the branch staff or the Banking 365 staff.

But I utterly detest my time being wasted by needless and stupid bureaucracy. As taking time off from work is not easy to do, I googled to see if there were any other "conditions" needing to be satisfied before visiting the branch. I found nothing indicating that a cash transaction needed to be performed.

Surely, a customer could be advised, even by email, that their account was going to go inactive or dormant prior to this happening. This is not a security risk in any way, in my opinion.

Bank of Ireland have been actively pushing customers to on-line services in recent years. Cash services have been decimated in lots of branches.

Yet, the same bank is forcing customers to use a cash transaction to reactivate a dormant account. This is double standards in my opinion!!!

So, I am still livid and I am going to raise this issue with the Financial Regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks mph_96 for coming back to us.

Totally understand how the visit today was frustrating for you. Yes, it should have been mentioned when you spoke with an Advisor by phone a transaction would need to occur upon your visit to reinstate the account.

We will certainly pass on your suggestions relating to the process of reinstating and how it's communicated.

Sorry also to hear you had taken time out of work and were unable to resolve your banking query.

We will also link in with Management within BOI Direct and ask for a reminder to be sent to all staff to ensure the need for a transaction is required in reinstating an inactive again.

Thanks again for sharing and highlighting this here with us,

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 BPULLEN

what can I do if the account is dormant but I live in the UK and can not drop into a Bank of Ireland branch, how can I reactivate the account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for coming back to us here on Boards.ie.

In this case you would need to send a written instruction to your account holding branch in order to request to reactivate a dormant account.

You will need to provide a copy of your photo ID and 2 certified proof of address documents for your current address. You would also need to sign this instruction with your signature.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annmarielistowel55

I live in NY and going home in July, my husband and my name is on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The Dormant indicator is added after 3 years of customer inactivity. Charges, fees and interest are not part of this calculation. After 15 years of continuous inactivity, the account is closed, and the funds moved to the Dormant Register. The government gets the money. However a customer can claim back the money at any stage, by identifying themselves. There is no inactive flag. It's a Dormant indicator. You can't use an ATM to lodge money to a dormant account so a cashier or bank official has to manually do it. Once the Dormant indicator is removed, the account can operate as normal. If there is a subsequent 3 years of inactivity, the Dormant indicator will come back

Advertisement