Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaners - colour damage to top - ruined, where next?

Options
  • 10-04-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all

I bought a rather expensive top as part of an outfit that I wore for the first time (and only time) 2 weeks ago.

The top is black on top with white on the bottom.

The label says dry clean only.

I brought it to the dry cleaners after wearing it, collected it 3 days later and brought it home.

On inspection, the black part was clean, however there was still makeup/fake tan stains on the white part at the bottom. Also, I noticed where the black met the white, the colour seemed a bit "off" around where the 2 colours met.

I brought the top back to the shop and pointed out the stains to them and they accepted it back for another clean.

4 days later, I collected it again, the stains are gone but the top is ruined.......the white is now an off-white, a light but dirty coloured grey. Effectively the black colour had run into the white.

The shop said there was nothing more that they could do, sent me off with a 20 euro voucher for future dry cleaning and advised me to bring the top back to the shop I bought it from.

Any ideas what avenue I should go down? Back to the clothes shop or back to the cleaners??

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

<SNIP>
    Back to the shop where you purchased it and tell them exactly what happened and where you got it dry cleaned...show them receipts for both dry cleans.
    If it’s faulty you should be entitled to a refund or a replacement..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Why would you go back to the clothes shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Fake tan and white clothing.

There's the issue.

Even I as a guy would know from mutterings from herself that fake tan and any white clothing will render that clothing item to being permanently discoloured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

harr wrote: »
    Back to the shop where you purchased it and tell them exactly what happened and where you got it dry cleaned...show them receipts for both dry cleans.
    If it’s faulty you should be entitled to a refund or a replacement..

It's the shops fault that the op got makeup and fake tan on the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Fake tan and white clothing.

There's the issue.

Even I as a guy would know from mutterings from herself that fake tan and any white clothing will render that clothing item to being permanently discoloured.

The amount of fake tan on the white part was tiny, but visible to me.

The mad thing is there was more on the black part, around the arms (sleeveless) and that came out no problem, first time round.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    It's the shops fault that the op got makeup and fake tan on the top?
    If you read the original post it’s stated that on the second dry clean the stains were removed but the black dye had run into the white portion of the top .. that’s got nothing to with the original stain.
    It could also be the fact the dry cleaners washed the top instead of dry cleaning it second time round and unsure why they handed over the €20 voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

harr wrote: »
    If you read the original post it’s stated that on the second dry clean the stains were removed but the black dye had run into the white portion of the top .. that’s got nothing to with the original stain.
    It could also be the fact the dry cleaners washed the top instead of dry cleaning it second time round and unsure why they handed over the €20 voucher.

Indeed, surely by offering the 20 euro voucher, they are accepting liability.

I could understand one colour running into another if I'd stuck it in the machine or hand washed it.

As it was dry clean only.......it was dry cleaned, to the best of my knowledge. Both myself and the cleaners checked the label before I left it in the shop.

Is dry cleaning just that...dry? Then how does one colour run into another?

Indeed, surely by offering the 20 euro voucher, they are accepting liability.

I didn't think much of the voucher at first tbh but now I'm beginning to wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Bring the item and dry cleaning receipt to the store you bought it in and explain the story and see about getting a replacement/refund. (Assuming its a case of the dye running rather than tan stains) Most retailers that I have worked with will refund/replace, others will send to their customer service department and let head office decide what to do.

Just to add this is unlikely to be successful without a receipt/letter from the dry cleaners because there are lots of chancers out there!

• Advertisement

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I could understand one colour running into another if I'd stuck it in the machine or hand washed it.

As it was dry clean only.......it was dry cleaned, to the best of my knowledge. Both myself and the cleaners checked the label before I left it in the shop.

Is dry cleaning just that...dry? Then how does one colour run into another?
    I think the clothes are washed in some special type of chemical rather than water so I do think they get wet and the process isn’t totally dry..

Scraggs wrote: »
    Bring the item and dry cleaning receipt to the store you bought it in and explain the story and see about getting a replacement/refund. (Assuming its a case of the dye running rather than tan stains) Most retailers that I have worked with will refund/replace, others will send to their customer service department and let head office decide what to do.

I will try that but it was bought in an independent boutique who only exchange or offer a credit note under normal circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

dry cleaning is still wet cleaning, but with no water. In fact the washing machines look and function much like regular washing machines, just bigger :)

Advertisement