Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paternity leave

Options
  • 10-04-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question. With paternity leave, the way the father now gets two weeks. Does the two weeks have to start on a Monday ? I know it must be taken in a two week block. But let's say the baby is born on a Wednesday. Can it be then taken two weeks from that Wednesday?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No it can start whatever day the baby is born.Or possibly the next working day.Your HR should be able to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

martin101 wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question. With paternity leave, the way the father now gets two weeks. Does the two weeks have to start on a Monday ? I know it must be taken in a two week block. But let's say the baby is born on a Wednesday. Can it be then taken two weeks from that Wednesday?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

can start it within 26 weeks of birth.
    you need to have your PSC to apply for it. That can take a couple of weeks to get appointment organized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

On the paternity leave, does anyone know if the two weeks fall on a public holiday, can that day be added on at the end? So basically 10 days in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

With maternity leave if that happens it gets added to the end so I would imagine it is the same with paternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

It doesn't always happen with maternity leave so double check it for paternity leave.

• Advertisement

Just had a quick look, you’re not necessarily entitled to be allowed take the day at the end of the leave but you are entitled to an additional days leave (or pay in lieu) if your paternity leave time includes a public holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It doesn't always happen with maternity leave so double check it for paternity leave.

No it always happens with maternity/paternity leave. While you are on maternity leave your public holiday and annual leave entitlement is as if you were at work.
    When your maternity leave ends you can ask to be allowed to take your public holidays and annual leave accumulated while you were out.
    Your employer doesn’t have to let you have it straight away but must let you know when you CAN take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Shaunoc wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

can start it within 26 weeks of birth.
    you need to have your PSC to apply for it. That can take a couple of weeks to get appointment organized.

Thanks for the heads up on the public services card. Neither my hubby or I knew you needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Thanks for the heads up on the public services card. Neither my hubby or I knew you needed one.

I took paternity leave in 2016 and didn't need the card. Just filled out a form. I need to take it again this summer ....is it defo required? just hassle to get it...

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    I took paternity leave in 2016 and didn't need the card. Just filled out a form. I need to take it again this summer ....is it defo required? just hassle to get it...

Frogeye

Yes it’s definitely required now. My husband was looking for paternity leave last year and they insisted he had to have it. I think it’s a fairly new thing (maybe late 2016/early 2017). At the time because it was new there was a longish wait for an appointment to get the card so might be worth applying early. It might have settled down now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Hello all just a quick question, I'm filling out my form for paternity leave online, I've downloaded the document for my employer because they have to fill it out. Do they then have to scan it and sent it back to me because it requires a stamp?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi just a question about paternity leave u have all my forms filled out and have gotten a letter saying how much I'm getting but what happens if my partner goes over her due date do I notify the social welfare or can I work until the baby comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Paull53080 wrote: »
    Hi just a question about paternity leave u have all my forms filled out and have gotten a letter saying how much I'm getting but what happens if my partner goes over her due date do I notify the social welfare or can I work until the baby comes.

Couldn't find the answer to this either. I just sorted it with my boss. Today is the start of my paternity but here I am sitting in work as my wife has gone over. I'll work until the baby arrives but technically I'm on paternity now as far as the welfare are concerned. I'm sure it'll cause some issues with HR / payroll but will cross that bridge when it happens.

related to that, news today on number of father's taking paternity : https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/over-50000-fathers-avail-of-paternity-leave-payment-in-the-last-two-years-37492720.html

The extra 2 weeks announced - does anyone know more detail on this? It's from Nov 2019 - so will i be eligible if baby is born in the next few days?

Advertisement