Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Irish

Options
  • 11-04-2018 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

sorry if this in wrong thread - I hadnt a clue what to put it in be it politics or legal or what so I will put it in here and if mod's want to move it to a more suitable group that is fine with me...

In July this year I will have been living in Ireland for 27 years. I would have left Britain when I was aged 26 - so I will be on this earth more in Ireland than I was in Britain. Over the years I have been thinking about becoming an Irish Citizen (yes please I would like to become one of you if you will allow me to join your club :) )

over the years I have contemplated it a few times , I checked when it used to be Irish punts and it was well over a thousand pounds back then .. and I couldnt afford it. and I have checked a year or 2 back and I think it was around a thousand euro or that mark and I still cannot afford it these days if its around that price now (its a lot of money to shell out, money that I simply dont have) - not only would it be nice and make sense to become an Irish citizen I also feel with 2 Irish born children, and a wife born to both Irish parents I think it would be logical too - not only that but when it comes to Elections I can only vote in Dail and Local elections - no Referendums or vote for Irish president, and cannot get Irish or dual nationality passport either.

Can i please ask has anyone here on boards in the last year or so has transitioned from British citizenship to Irish citizenship and how did it go? - how much did you have to pay? did you have to pay? did you ever find out about any grants or any financial help available to become an Irish citizen? - did it all go smoothly?, how was your experience of it ? was there loads of forms to fill in? what was the ceremony like is it nerve wracking or laid back? - was it like time consuming or lot of red tape or anything that needs to be taking into account when becoming an Irish citizen ?

see I still have it in the back of my mind and (bar the money) I reckon its something I would still like to do one day I plan to stay in Ireland until the day I die , I don't have any plans of moving back to the UK ever and being resident there ever again (and haven't wanted to for the past 27 years so I doubt if i ever will now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I haven't done it, but you're still going to need over a thousand euro to complete the process, so I won't be doing it anytime soon.

175 euro to apply, additional 950 euro if your application is successful.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No offence Andy, but by the amount of blethering you do I was convinced you were a born and bred Sligo man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Do you gain much by being a citizen particularly if you are English? The English can vote here. Except referenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You lied to us Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

No offence Andy, but by the amount of blethering you do I was convinced you were a born and bred Sligo man.

- 27 years living in Ireland and the first time I have heard the word blethering, thats a new one on me :) .. or was it supposed to be blathering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I believe he was accused on another thread of being from Cavan.

You lied to us Andy.

Andy in Sligo .. Andy from Sligo - still sort of the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you gain much by being a citizen particularly if you are English? The English can vote here. Except referenda.

Who said op was 'English'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

- 27 years living in Ireland and the first time I have heard the word blethering, thats a new one on me :) .. or was it supposed to be blathering?

Na, it's a nicer word than blathering Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Be handy to have an eu passport post brexit I guess.

I know an english couple who gained citizenship last year, they were annoyed at the cost and felt the admin was excessive but ultimately the benefits outweighed all that in their view.

I guess it’s a case of whether your willing to pay up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Once Brexit happens, Andy, you are getting strip searched every time you go through Knock.

A thousand Euro doesn't sound so bad now,does it?

cannot vote for president, cannot vote in referendum , cannot get Irish passport, have to apply for British passport even though resident in Ireland - I dare say there are most probably other pluses maybe?, even ones I haven't heard of.

I could call myself Irish as well LOL - I know you cannot take a horse out of a stable , put it in a pig sty and call it a pig and it will still be a horse (or a stallion in my circumstance lol) haha but I would be technically officially Irish (on paper) :D

Apparently my great grandmother was Irish (who's great grandmother wasnt LOL)

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Once Brexit happens, Andy, you are getting strip searched every time you go through Knock.

A thousand Euro doesn't sound so bad now,does it?

depends if you get a kick out of being stripped searched or not ... ;)

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Be handy to have an eu passport post brexit I guess.

I know an english couple who gained citizenship last year, they were annoyed at the cost and felt the admin was excessive but ultimately the benefits outweighed all that in their view.

I guess it’s a case of whether your willing to pay up

thanks, I bet it puts quite a few people off - its a legal process maybe thats why its so expensive?, and the admin costs I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

One thing is for sure,you pension here will be a lot more that you would get back in England so whatever it costs for that reason it’s worth it alone.

maybe I should do it on my 30th anniversary of living in Ireland and make it a big thing with a party .. and cake .. and lots of guinness (if WW3 dont break out in the meantime and wipe us all out) ... yeah it will give me time to save up as well. - if I cannot save up a thousand euro by the time the 30th anniversary then I may as well shoot myself ... over a thousand though - that would buy a pretty decent secondhand motor car , well a better one than what we have at the moment.

on this hand Irish Citizenship ... but on the other a newer car with less mileage on the clock ... decisions, decisions - why does life have to be so complicated? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

thanks, I bet it puts quite a few people off - its a legal process maybe thats why its so expensive?, and the admin costs I suppose

Probably a combination of things.
    Admin costs, final decision at minister level and to discourage frivolous applications.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Probably a combination of things.
    Admin costs, final decision at minister level and to discourage frivolous applications.

true

One thing is for sure,you pension here will be a lot more that you would get back in England so whatever it costs for that reason it’s worth it alone.

ah right - i never thought about that a few years off until I am a pensioner but its worth keeping that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Adam Clayton in U2 swapped his British passport for an Irish one.He said it was safer.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you save around 20e a year from now until you are 99 you will have enough in the bank to pay for it, then the following year the president will give you back 2.5k for your 100 birthday so you will actually be making money!

If you save around 20e a year from now until you are 99 you will have enough in the bank to pay for it, then the following year the president will give you back 2.5k for your 100 birthday so you will actually be making money!

I could lie on the form , say that I am 100 now then get the 2.5K and pay for Irish Citizenship ... would that work? :)

you know you can get grants for making your house warmer (money to pay for insulation etc) I wonder if there a grant around for becoming Irish?

Sickening thing is there are most probably some foreigners in Ireland who haven't even been living in Ireland anywhere near 27 years that have become Irish Citizens .. oh and didnt have to pay a penny / cent .

Think I read back years ago that immigrants outside EU could apply for Irish Citizenship and all cost covered - I think all they had to do was turn up to the ceremony and pledge their allegiance to the state ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Go have a chat with your local T.D. Kids born here,wife with Irish parents and you here 27 years, I wouldn't charge you for citizenship.

Maybe s/he will know of any little bit of help you may be entitled to.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Go have a chat with your local T.D. Kids born here,wife with Irish parents and you here 27 years, I wouldn't charge you for citizenship.

Maybe s/he will know of any little bit of help you may be entitled to.

Thanks, good idea - think of all the opportunities I have wasted when they have come around for votes in the general elections ? - I could have said to them "I will vote for ye if you work it that I can become an Irish Citizen" - so desperate for votes most of them that I reckon it would have worked too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I would be looking for them to pay me to live in Sligo

ghogie91 wrote: »
    I would be looking for them to pay me to live in Sligo

:D - says someone from Athlone ..

No., actually I will refrain from dissing Athlone because i was down there a couple of weeks back and went to the theater there and then had a drink in Ireland's oldest pub .. very nice place actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

:D - says someone from Athlone ..

No., actually I will refrain from dissing Athlone because i was down there a couple of weeks back and went to the theater there and then had a drink in Ireland's oldest pub .. very nice place actually

Hahaha I was waiting to see did you cop that :pac::pac:

Ah shur its a grand little place in small doses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Am impressed that you know what blathering is Andy! :D Do you know what it means if someone tells you they are mithered! (Kinda pronounced like my-third.)

Banter aside, - this post is probably worth all the money in the World to our Andy! :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It worked for Ed Sheeran

Even Obama is a bit Irish

Advertisement