Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Andy

175 application
    950 when they grant you citizenship
    80 passport
    45 document certification (solicitor, commissioner for oaths, etc).

That's €1250

To be honest it's just over 3 weeks full time work on minimum wage.
    It doesn't sound excessive for obtaining Irish citizenship to me.

Even if someone is not able to work, 1250 is definitely obtainable sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The fee is substantial, but it;'s supposedly based on the cost-recover principle. Citizenship applications are scrutinised carefully, and the costs of the whole operation - wages, premises, the lot - are supposed to be covered by the fees it charges. There is probably some degree of cross-subsidy from the successful applicants to the unsuccessful.

Whether it's worth it, obviously, is a decision that people have to make for themselves. Since the number of naturalisations has been going up year by year, presumably there are a lot of people who do think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I haven't done it, but you're still going to need over a thousand euro to complete the process, so I won't be doing it anytime soon.

175 euro to apply, additional 950 euro if your application is successful.

YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO....PAY!

Outrageous! Gobsmacked here!

In the words of someone famous,,YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!

Why would you expect not to have to pay?

CiniO wrote: »
    Andy

175 application
    950 when they grant you citizenship
    80 passport
    45 document certification (solicitor, commissioner for oaths, etc).

That's €1250

To be honest it's just over 3 weeks full time work on minimum wage.
    It doesn't sound excessive for obtaining Irish citizenship to me.

Even if someone is not able to work, 1250 is definitely obtainable sum

wondering how you work that out?

• Advertisement

One thing is for sure,you pension here will be a lot more that you would get back in England so whatever it costs for that reason it’s worth it alone.

But the lovely Irish gov make it up to scratch ;)

maybe I should do it on my 30th anniversary of living in Ireland and make it a big thing with a party .. and cake .. and lots of guinness (if WW3 dont break out in the meantime and wipe us all out) ... yeah it will give me time to save up as well. - if I cannot save up a thousand euro by the time the 30th anniversary then I may as well shoot myself ... over a thousand though - that would buy a pretty decent secondhand motor car , well a better one than what we have at the moment.

on this hand Irish Citizenship ... but on the other a newer car with less mileage on the clock ... decisions, decisions - why does life have to be so complicated? ...

Decisions that money brings! I am fine within my pension but luxuries like a new car and irish citizenship? I have abundant Irish ancestry but at this stage of my life. there is only one Citizenship I am going for in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I think I'm turning Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

Andy.. join your local Credit Union, put a tenner a week in... after a year, you will have €500 and can then borrow the 1250 but all he time throwing a tenner in... by 30 years here you will be irish and have the Loan being repaid and still have savings... it's a plan Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

you know you can get grants for making your house warmer (money to pay for insulation etc) I wonder if there a grant around for becoming Irish?

Sickening thing is there are most probably some foreigners in Ireland who haven't even been living in Ireland anywhere near 27 years that have become Irish Citizens .. oh and didnt have to pay a penny / cent .

Think I read back years ago that immigrants outside EU could apply for Irish Citizenship and all cost covered - I think all they had to do was turn up to the ceremony and pledge their allegiance to the state ...
    With that misinformation, you should probably consider moving to Bradford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you know you can get grants for making your house warmer (money to pay for insulation etc) I wonder if there a grant around for becoming Irish?

Sickening thing is there are most probably some foreigners in Ireland who haven't even been living in Ireland anywhere near 27 years that have become Irish Citizens .. oh and didnt have to pay a penny / cent .

Think I read back years ago that immigrants outside EU could apply for Irish Citizenship and all cost covered - I think all they had to do was turn up to the ceremony and pledge their allegiance to the state ...

which bit am I mis-informed on?

why Bradford?

which bit am I mis-informed on?
    It has never been possible for non-EU immigrants to be naturalised at no cost.

That stuff you think you read? If you read that, somebody was lying to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

My wife is in almost the same boat, except she's an EU citizen. Living here over 20 years and can't vote in any elections except the European Parliament ones. And bizarrely her home country elections, even though she has no clue about the politics there anymore.

When you're raising a family and paying taxes you don't generally have 1250 lying around just for academic purposes... but the pension thing got me thinking...

professore wrote: »
    My wife is in almost the same boat, except she's an EU citizen. Living here over 20 years and can't vote in any elections except the European Parliament ones. And bizarrely her home country elections, even though she has no clue about the politics there anymore.

When you're raising a family and paying taxes you don't generally have 1250 lying around just for academic purposes... but the pension thing got me thinking...

I am on a basic UK pension. Social Welfare top it up and there are other allowances. Took me a long while to learn that.... see Citizen;s Info online

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm here 45 years, never very much interested in 'being' one nationality or another. I have a British passport. They give me an irrationally generous part-pension, considering I only worked there 4 years in my teens/twenties. I have a contributory pension here. And someone at some early stage when I wasn't paying attention gave me voting capabilities for everything. I don't see the point, if I did become Irish there would always be some busybodies who would make snarky remarks about my accent, I would never actually be Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My partner was seen as an alien in her native country (thank you post-independence Latvia) and was deemed to be stateless. She waited a number of years after applying to be approved for Irish citizenship (they lost her first application) and had to pay the thousand euro - can't remember the exact amount, but ballpark a thousand.

My brother's partner is UK born but has lived here for years. She took Irish citizenship because of Brexit as she works with many EU bodies and it was just going to be easier have an EU passport than be second guessing what way things were going to be in the future. She also had to pay the thousand, but was not waiting as long as my partner.

I attended the citizenship ceremony for my partner. I found it quite moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My husband took out Irish citizenship and considers himself Irish, it is a lot more complicated than just getting an Irish passport.

He was watching an Irish/Welsh rugby match on a day and realised he was supporting Ireland and not Wales and he knew he had become Irish, years ago at this stage, people still ask him where he is from through the accent always stayed.

mariaalice wrote: »
    My husband took out Irish citizenship and considers himself Irish, it is a lot more complicated than just getting an Irish passport.

He was watching an Irish/Welsh rugby match on a day and realised he was supporting Ireland and not Wales and he knew he had become Irish, years ago at this stage, people still ask him where he is from through the accent always stayed.

Surely you cannot in the real sense, "Become Irish"?

I get quizzed often and quote my family names from generations back; Irish. I do find that the more I am quizzed the more posh English my accent becomes

The taking Irish citizenship is surely an admin thing ? You cannot change where and what you were born

Graces7 wrote: »
    Surely you cannot in the real sense, "Become Irish"?

I get quizzed often and quote my family names from generations back; Irish. I do find that the more I am quizzed the more posh English my accent becomes

The taking Irish citizenship is surely an admin thing ? You cannot change where and what you were born

Why can't you become Irish people are not defined by there accent.

I think you can become Irish by living here, people are not defined by their accent, it more a cultural thing Irishness.

• Advertisement

I think you can become Irish by living here, people are not defined by their accent, it more a cultural thing Irishness.

Surely it is a birth thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife and I, both UK citizens, are here 17 years now and we are seriously considering it, mainly because we don't want to lose our EU citizen status post-Brexit. My only major gripe with the process is that we both have to send off our passports with the application with no guarantee as to when we get them back. Why on earth we can't go to their office get our passports checked over and copies made and then get the originals back, or even get a notarized copy made is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why can't you become Irish people are not defined by there accent.

I was born in the UK. My family moved to Ireland when I was 4. My parents, grandparents etc are all Irish. There are people on boards who have been very insistent that I am not Irish and never will be because I wasn't born here. Others are just as insistent that I am not english since my family are Irish.

Certain types of people have very strong views about nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

Can you claim Irish ancestry? If your grandparents were born in Ireland: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/ . Then you do not have to pay as much (€278).

victor8600 wrote: »
    Can you claim Irish ancestry? If your grandparents were born in Ireland: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/ . Then you do not have to pay as much (€278).

That is going on wholesale at the moment, with people who have no intention of ever living here because of Brexit.

My brother an sister in law are looking into doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

In terms of citizenship "becoming Irish" is almost a purely bookkeeping affair. So long as you can prove you have been living here legally for 5 years and can pony up the fee you will be granted citizenship. I know people that cannot speak a word of English, never mind Irish, and who have no idea about Irish history or culture who are now Irish citizens.

In terms of citizenship "becoming Irish" is almost a purely bookkeeping affair. So long as you can prove you have been living here legally for 5 years and can pony up the fee you will be granted citizenship. I know people that cannot speak a word of English, never mind Irish, and who have no idea about Irish history or culture who are now Irish citizens.

Thanks. I will never live anywhere but Ireland but will always be English

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not entirely misinformation Iris Cold Fullback, and what did you mean by the Bradford thing?
    Here is a breakdown of the costs.

Application on behalf of a minor = €200

Widow, widower or surviving civil partner of Irish citizen = €200

Refugee, stateless person or "programme refugee" (Note: you don't need to be a refugee to be a programme refugee) = No charge

Others = €950

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’ve lived in Ireland going on 20 years. My wife is Irish, so is my son. I’ve never considered myself Irish, and I never will. I’m Australian born and bred, and will remain so till the day I die.

I consider myself an exiled Aussie and I’m always hopeful, that I will return to live in Australia some day. Saying that I have been flirting with the idea of getting an Irish passport, for travel purposes. Would make things much easier. On this side anyway.

There’s never a problem for my wife and son coming over to Australia. They come through Australian immigration with me, on their Irish passports.

Coming back here I can’t go through with them, and I always get grilled. Why are you here? What do you do? Where do you live? You must be mad for living in Ireland?! And I get double grilled if I have to go through Heathrow.

So yeah, I might get an Irish passport since I’m entitled to one. Doesn’t mean it will make me Irish…

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’ve lived in Ireland going on 20 years. My wife is Irish, so is my son. I’ve never considered myself Irish, and I never will. I’m Australian born and bred, and will remain so till the day I die.
    You don't have to choose between being Irish and being Australian; you can be both. I am. So is my wife and my daughter.

Advertisement