Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Irish

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Sure isn't that how oul' Adolf got his start back in the day?

It never changed, we always needed the men in green to defend us from the filthy Eastern European, the Yugoslavian that fled during the war, the Hungarian because they steal everything and now the Turks and Afghans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

LirW wrote: »
    It never changed, we always needed the men in green to defend us from the filthy Eastern European, the Yugoslavian that fled during the war, the Hungarian because they steal everything and now the Turks and Afghans :rolleyes:

Yeap.
    And oul' Adolf defended you well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone I know was of Irish parents etc, but during the war her father was shot down and in hospital at a base in the UK, She was born there when her mother was visiting her father and has dual nationality

She emigrated to Canada when she was 18 but retained her dual status. Hates Ireland now,

Why does she hate Ireland if she only lived here until she was 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Does that mean you can fight for Ireland?

En garde!!

is Ireland still 'neutral'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Feck off all yiz Mexican hoors. I'm gonna build me wall around the country soon.

I will of course build it across the North of Cork. tey can feck off. I will then build it along the border but cut across the bottom of Donegal to keep the Nordies and the Donegal people out.

ah now here the nordies want to be european ... who are we to deny them ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

CiniO wrote: »
    Andy

175 application
    950 when they grant you citizenship
    80 passport
    45 document certification (solicitor, commissioner for oaths, etc).

That's €1250

To be honest it's just over 3 weeks full time work on minimum wage.
    It doesn't sound excessive for obtaining Irish citizenship to me.

Even if someone is not able to work, 1250 is definitely obtainable sum.
    Head to the credit union get a small loan and pay it off
    The irish country way to do it
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why does she hate Ireland if she only lived here until she was 18?

It was when she came back after 40 years that she came to hate it. Had changed so much,.. still has bad dreams about it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Can i please ask has anyone here on boards in the last year or so has transitioned from British citizenship to Irish citizenship and how did it go? - how much did you have to pay? did you have to pay? did you ever find out about any grants or any financial help available to become an Irish citizen? - did it all go smoothly?, how was your experience of it ? was there loads of forms to fill in? what was the ceremony like is it nerve wracking or laid back? - was it like time consuming or lot of red tape or anything that needs to be taking into account when becoming an Irish citizen ?

Andy.
    While not exactly what you're asking, but I applied for Irish citizenship and was naturalized last year so in other words I've become Irish. Same story with my wife. We were both Polish. Now we both have dual citizenship so we are Irish as well as Polish.

Process is complex, plenty of paperwork required, but not unreasonable.
    Price is high, but IMO acceptable.

Why did I do it? Not sure really. I though of many benefits, but probably first and foremost I just wanted to be Irish officially.

At the moment there's not huge amount of benefits for me.
    I can now vote for D, President and Referendums - not much benefit for me, as I'm not much interested in politics.
    I can travel to 172 countries visa free on Irish passport, comparing to 161 countries on Polish passport. Most notable out of these 11 is probably US, which I might benefit from at some stage.
    And I can stay in Ireland no matter what, which wasn't the case when I only held Polish citizenship - but again - at the moment this doesn't really make much difference for me.

However I know there might be situations/cases where Irish citizenship will be of great benefit.
    F.e. if I ever live abroad, in case of some war/global conflict I will always be able to come back to Ireland which IMO will be very safe place.
    If I ever end up homeless/bankrupt etc, I can always come back to Ireland and stay here. And that's great benefit, because very few countries take care of homeless people as good as Ireland.
    And obviously if EU ever ceases to exist surely having Irish citizenship/passport will be of great benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

Has anyone applied for naturalisation and got an invitation letter for the upcoming ceremony on May 21? I applied Feb 17, have been waiting since then and still nothing. I am wondering if they have already sent out the invitation letters for the ceremony on May 21. They say they send it 4, 5 weeks ahead, but there has been no upates on th site with the list of the applicants confirmed for the ceremony (they had this for the previous ceremony). They also state the average waiting time is 6 months. I wonder how long further I need to wait.

It is partly due to Brexit that they have slowed down, but how slow?

Advertisement