Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone suspicious about Saudi Arabia?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First Up wrote: »
    Both - and more.

There's a major strategic plan to transform the country - Saudi Vision 2030 - that you can read about if you are interested.

I bet it is more ambitious than Ireland 2040 and actually gets carried out!

Speaking of Saudi they are poised to start their €300m investment into Waterford later this year so naturally we think they're a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What are they investing in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The North Quays and Michael Street.

RH-Hall-Featured.jpg

quays.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

However, it is not a nice news story to paint Saudi Arabia in a bad light (even though it is abominable in terms of human rights e.g. celebrating allowing women to drive; astonishing that the word progressive is used for Saudi Arabia); but it is easier to paint Russia as the bogeyman and paint muslim terrorists as mountain-dwelling, "****hole" country inhabiting, snarling, dynamite-holding men.

your almost correct, but to be fair if you took away oil it would be dessert dwelling ****hole to land in. they have the bling but beliefs they have they still have to go 2000 years to catch up, to call it friendly place.

For those that don't believe that MBS is making changes, google the location of Air India flight AIC 139 right now and you will find it overhead Saudi Arabia heading to Tel Aviv, a routing that was totally forbidden up until last month.

The North Quays and Michael Street and the Fawaz Al-Hokair group, what a strange combination. Al Hokair is a major Saudi retailer and is the local agent for many international brands, but I haven't seen them operate shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

kneemos wrote: »
    The **** is falafel?

Google it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

diomed wrote: »
    I would go there if I got a free holiday.

I wouldn't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Was there once, and I'll say this for it - you dont have to go far to post a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saudi Arabia is an infested hole that is hundreds of years behind the civilised world.
    They chop off body parts, fervent against human and female rights movements, and didn't abolish slavery until a hundred years after everyone else, and only then under considerable pressure.

Their state religion is wahhabism, the worst interpretation of an already bad religion.

Years when different countries abolished slavery, including the ones in OP
    1. Mexico 1829
    2. England 1833
    3. Denmark 1847
    4. France 1848
    5. USA 1865
    6. Saudi Arabia 1962
    7. Mauritania 1905, 1981, and again in August 2007!

Western countries abolished slavery on their own accord, all roughly around the same time.
    MENA countries abolished slavery long after, and usually only after pressure from Western countries. Without Western pressure they would possibly allow slavery to this day.

Don't they have effective slavery still anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I would never go to any of those countries ,,, This / These are the kind of stunts the pull all the time..

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/mother-jailed-in-dubai-with-her-fouryearold-daughter-after-one-glass-of-wine-on-flight-37203458.html

Spain, stick with Spain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

They are tryin to modernize the economy to move away from oil dependency. One of the spokes in this tactic is to appear more open, tourism, etc., perhaps to be a little more like UAE and so on.

That they only started allowing women to drive in 2018 shows how backward they are.

Until the day they allow women to travel unaccompanied and to dress like in Iran before 1979 I will not think they have progressed one step from where Western civilisations were in 1800s.

Six things women in Saudi Arabia still can’t do
    • Make major decisions without male permission
    • Wear clothes or make-up that ”show off their beauty“
    • Interact with men
    • Go for a swim in public
    • Compete freely in sports
    • Try on clothes when shopping

http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/things-women-cant-do-in-saudi-arabia

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

First Up wrote: »
    Both - and more.

There's a major strategic plan to transform the country - Saudi Vision 2030 - that you can read about if you are interested.

I bet it is more ambitious than Ireland 2040 and actually gets carried out!

Speaking of Saudi they are poised to start their €300m investment into Waterford later this year so naturally we think they're a great bunch of lads.
    We should not be taking a single cent of money from those vile people. In fact, we should kick out their Ambassador, completely sever all economic, social and trade ties with Saudi Scumraapia, and stamp every single European passport with 'Invalid for travel to Saudi Arabia, except for the purpose of pilgrimage'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

biko wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia is an infested hole that is hundreds of years behind the civilised world.
    They chop off body parts, fervent against human and female rights movements, and didn't abolish slavery until a hundred years after everyone else, and only then under considerable pressure.

Their state religion is wahhabism, the worst interpretation of an already bad religion.

Years when different countries abolished slavery, including the ones in OP
    1. Mexico 1829
    2. England 1833
    3. Denmark 1847
    4. France 1848
    5. USA 1865
    6. Saudi Arabia 1962
    7. Mauritania 1905, 1981, and again in August 2007!

Western countries abolished slavery on their own accord, all roughly around the same time.
    MENA countries abolished slavery long after, and usually only after pressure from Western countries. Without Western pressure they would possibly allow slavery to this day.

Most Western countries abolished slavery because it became cheaper to hire workers and pay them crap wages than to house and feed and general upkeep, which is an abhorrent way to phrase it but it is true

flas wrote: »
    Most Western countries abolished slavery because it became cheaper to hire workers and pay them crap wages than to house and feed and general upkeep, which is an abhorrent way to phrase it but it is true
    Then you shouldn't have any problem backing that up with a credible source.

This source doesn't mention it http://abolition.e2bn.org/slavery_111.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

biko wrote: »
    Then you shouldn't have any problem backing that up with a credible source.

This source doesn't mention it http://abolition.e2bn.org/slavery_111.html

On a slight side note, the UK government was still technically paying of slavery until 3 years ago. When the UK outlawed slavery it paid off slave owners. They only finished paying the debt off 3 years ago.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/taxpayers-still-paying-british-slave-12019829

I can't be bothered looking up stats but I agree with the poster you created. Generally slavery went away when it became uneconomical to keep it going. That's part of the reason for the civil war in the US. The industrial north didn't need slaves, the agricultural south did. So they fought. I believe that Mississippi was the richest state in the nation before the civil war and it's one of the poorest now.

One of the reasons that the greeks never bothered using the steam engine, which they invented, was because they had slaves to do work. There was no economic need to develop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A typical falafel is as dry as desert sand wedged between cardboard, sauce not chillies won't help.

Isn't SA (or surrounds) meant to be the place of the next (3rd) AC.
    Anyone rising to power there, who was born on Feb 4 1962 perchance?

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

That whole thing about the 4th Antichrist, .......(rolls eyes), thats just churchie propaganda to scare peasants into praying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Saudi Arabia is a medieval theocracy built on a triangle of religion, the ruling family and the populace.

The ruling family try to keep everyone sweet by allowing the religious f**kwits a certain level of autonomy, while lavishing free schooling and healthcare, in addition to a "job" for life where the locals assume a position of authority that involves divesting all responsibility/blame to expats. All they seek in return is the acquiescence of the populace, giving up rights to forming organised groups, such as unions, freedom of speech and much of the liberties we consider normal.

The result is a lazy, incompetent, arrogant and most worryingly, bored populace that covet western lifestyle, yet because of the poisonous influence of Wahabiasm, despise it's decadence.

From that the seeds of fundamentalism and its associated ills are sown and exported worldwide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I avoid going to any Muslim countries for a holiday. I'd recommend it for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

She's being sent home

Taytoland wrote: »
    I avoid going to any Muslim countries for a holiday. I'd recommend it for everyone.

Funnily enough, one of my best holidays was to Iran. Wonderful people and a great experience. Don't push Western culture into their faces, respect their laws/traditions, and all's good.

Been to Saudi Arabia twice (I've friends who live there), and seriously disliked the experience, both times. Definitely not a nice culture, and heaped to the rafters with double standards.

Advertisement