Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re wall treatment and neighbour's extension

Options
  • 11-04-2018 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some some advice (long time lurker here!) re a neighbour's extension along our western boundary. As shown in the picture, it will be right along the boundary wall (panelling) and 3.5 m in total height (vs a panel height of 1.8m). It'll be a flat roof extension (and is unfortunately exempt development).

The advice I'd like is the final finish on the side of this - the neighbour has said he would finish it anyway we want. The garden in north-facing so while we won't lose any direct sunlight, the kitchen window (shown in the pic) will lose some daylight. So is it best to have the extension side (and the panelling on my side) painted white to reflect as much daylight as possible?

The other adive I'd like is any sugegstion for screening the extension: it'll be well above the height of the existing panel so I guess some trellising and climbers might partially screen it?

Final question - he has offered to remove the panneling-wall if we want but I assume its best to retain it?

Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

You might get better advice over in the construction and planning forum, some of the guys over there would have great advice on how the wall of the extension should be built and finished. You can ask the mods to move the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think I’d look to get it finished to match the existing buildings, painting it white will be hard to maintain and make it stand out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ollie103 wrote: »
    Final question - he has offered to remove the panneling-wall if we want but I assume its best to retain it?
    Don't touch the boundary wall, if everything else goes pear-shaped you still have that.
    Its nice of your neighbour to consult with you, but he/she is under no obligation to. I suspect as time and works go on, the side wall of their extension facing you will end up being finished exactly the same as the other two sides. So don't worry too much about it.

The main advice for you now is to try not to fall out with the neighbour, because when all the annoyance of the building work is over, you will still have to live next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

recedite wrote: »
    Don't touch the boundary wall, if everything else goes pear-shaped you still have that.
    Its nice of your neighbour to consult with you, but he/she is under no obligation to. I suspect as time and works go on, the side wall of their extension facing you will end up being finished exactly the same as the other two sides. So don't worry too much about it.

The main advice for you now is to try not to fall out with the neighbour, because when all the annoyance of the building work is over, you will still have to live next to each other.

This can only happen if the builders have access to the outside of that side i.e. remove the boundary wall, even temporarily, in order to plaster/render/paint the side of the extension facing the OP's garden. They absolutely don't have to do this, they could just leave it unfinished on that side. Asking the OP how they would like it finished is actually very neighbourly of them.

OP I second the earlier suggestion, you will get much more informed opinions from people who deal with this all the time in the Construction & Planning forum.
    OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Zzippy wrote: »
    This can only happen if the builders have access to the outside of that side i.e. remove the boundary wall, even temporarily, in order to plaster/render/paint the side of the extension facing the OP's garden. They absolutely don't have to do this, they could just leave it unfinished on that side. Asking the OP how they would like it finished is actually very neighbourly of them.
    I agree you are better off co-operating with them, otherwise you could end up looking at an unfinished looking eyesore.
    But if they needed to, they could finish the whole job from their side, and by walking along on top of the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

recedite wrote: »
    But if they needed to, they could finish the whole job from their side, and by walking along on top of the wall.

Not in me experience. Happened recently with a friend building an extension adjacent to the boundary wall with a difficult neighbour. The builders said no way could the rendering be finished with the existing wall in place and she ended up having to bribe the neighbour to get the access. Depends very much on the gap between the extension and the existing boundary wall.

Advertisement