Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand steel frame for touring bike?

Options
  • 11-04-2018 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Looking to build ( or outright buy) a touring bike. Will be used for three weeks around Spain and then for a lengthy enough commute and possible future tours ( this will be my first).

Budget is an issue in that when I use it for commuting I want to be more inconvenienced , rather than heartbroken, when it's nicked (been there :( )

Ideally I'd like to buy a cheap second hand steel frame and build it up, but this is where I'm ignorant. An old Dawes galaxy would be ideal but they seem few and far between on done deal. (Any other sites I should check?)

Can anyone suggest what other second hand bike models I could look at which would have a decent frame?

A friend suggested just buying this off the peg:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/urban/product/review-adventure-flat-white-49875/

Seems decent value, but I want a butterfly or flat handlebar and would also want lower gearing. Now, I'm more than happy to make those changes myself , but if I am going to be changing handlebars, shifters, derailers, cassettes etc it seems to me I would be just as well buying a frame and building up....

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that link is incomplete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

that link is incomplete.

Sorry it should work now? But it's Adventure Flat White if you Google that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Feck second hand, buy one of theses for €200 or so and build up...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKBD2/planet-x-kaffenback-2-frameset
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONRODDP/planet-x-london-road-frameset

Kaffenback esp is bombproof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Kaffenback tyre clearance is 32mm max afaik. London Road should be better, but I'm not sure how would it handle a straight handlebar and heavy loads...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's limited sizing available in the London Road too. You could try a Holdsworth Stelvio too They're coming in at about 150. Steel, albeit reviews are few and far between and also mixed, but could be more than ideal. Size is limited too.

If you can find a cheap enough fork, look in the adverts section here where someone is moving one on due to their clumsiness :pac:*

* Someone is me, but I've also taken delivery of a tour de fer frameset that's waiting to be built

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Alek wrote: »
    Kaffenback tyre clearance is 32mm max afaik. London Road should be better, but I'm not sure how would it handle a straight handlebar and heavy loads...

I'd tour commute on 28s but thats just me ;)

If you are 5ft 9 or so and would like to use a canti carbon Ridley cross bike with sks's for touring make me an offer ;)

Many thanks for the replys so far.

Another consideration is that were to buy a new bike I can use the bike to work scheme...

Kaffenback seems interesting, but if I were to buy that, then wheels etc etc etc I'll be pushing 600 or 700 I'd say (easily) whereas I can a full bike for only a little more (or even less with the one linked earlier) and upgrade as I go along.

But then I'd have the exact bike I wanted straight away! But if I'm not going cheap and cheerful I'd nearly just spend a bit more on a long haul trucker or one of the better Dawes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They also have the holdsworth brevet, which seems similar money to the one you linked, only sora rather than tourney?

The kaffenback flat bar with nx-1 though...

The Dawes Galaxy is a fantastic bike, decades of experience in them and will go for years and years.
    If you can get one of them on the BTW go for them.

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Dawes Galaxy is a fantastic bike, decades of experience in them and will go for years and years.
    If you can get one of them on the BTW go for them.

Even the aluminium frame ones? They are cheap enough...

But I had kind of decieded on steel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Even the aluminium frame ones? They are cheap enough...

But I had kind of decieded on steel.

Do you want a bike for full on touring or credit card? Disc or non disc? Dynamo lights or not (good idea on commuter or touring bike)? Mudguards or not?

Genesis/Condor audax type bikes if fully kitted would be somewhere in the middle goround between a typical road bike and full on tourer (with it's longer chainstays)

If credit card you'll have a lot of options.

I would try the classified section of yacf.co.uk or lfgss; I recently spotted a 56cm dawes, with quality dynamo and lights for about £600 I think on yacf.

Buy something decent 2nd hand and learn how to lock your bike properly!

ford2600 wrote: »
    Do you want a bike for full on touring or credit card? Disc or non disc? Dynamo lights or not (good idea on commuter or touring bike)? Mudguards or not?

Genesis/Condor audax type bikes if fully kitted would be somewhere in the middle goround between a typical road bike and full on tourer (with it's longer chainstays)

If credit card you'll have a lot of options.

I would try the classified section of yacf.co.uk or lfgss; I recently spotted a 56cm dawes, with quality dynamo and lights for about £600 I think on yacf.

Buy something decent 2nd hand and learn how to lock your bike properly!

I want a touring bike, I will not be staying in hotels very much at all, so tent etc. flat or butterfly handlebars, not disk brakes, dynamo would be nice but not too pushed, mudguards are a yes, I want a long chain stay and will fit front and rear panniers. Upright riding positon is what I'm after. Need a decent gear range, happy enough to crawl along uphill as long as I keep moving! Even when commuting I'll be hauling a fair amount of stuff as I work between a few offices.
    I will check those sites, many thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably the wrong size for you (XS) but this is asking €650 and is not budging...

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/genesis-croix-de-fer-20-2017/13873634

How tall are you OP? Might help with people's recommendations

eBay might be your best bet, or the other forums mentioned above. I saw some Hewitt Cheviots and a Claude Butler Dalesman frameset at reasonable prices when looking recently, I couldn't get them delivered to here though. Plenty of old Dawe's too.

Weepsie wrote: »
    How tall are you OP? Might help with people's recommendations

eBay might be your best bet, or the other forums mentioned above. I saw some Hewitt Cheviots and a Claude Butler Dalesman frameset at reasonable prices when looking recently, I couldn't get them delivered to here though. Plenty of old Dawe's too.

I'm six foot... I've looked on eBay but they all seem to be collection only

What about the Roux Etape? Available in 55.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/roux-etape-250.html

Weepsie wrote: »
    What about the Roux Etape? Available in 55.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/roux-etape-250.html

Now that seems very good value, I'd just have to swop the shifters and handlebars... That's a good shout, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

i have a red hewitt audax frameset 56cm with brakes and a fsa triple chainset if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Hi - i have an old Dawes Super Galaxy - large frame size with mudguards and front and back carriers - needs a clean and some slight work - that i might be interestd in selling - it is nearly 30 years old though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I want a touring bike, I will not be staying in hotels very much at all, so tent etc. flat or butterfly handlebars, not disk brakes, dynamo would be nice but not too pushed, mudguards are a yes

I would choose to be pushed about a dynamo. From the commuting POV you have permanent lighting and never need search for batteries. From the touring POV, you can add a USB power source so you can charge devices as you ride as there's no guarantee that you'll find power to charge at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I would choose to be pushed about a dynamo. From the commuting POV you have permanent lighting and never need search for batteries. From the touring POV, you can add a USB power source so you can charge devices as you ride as there's no guarantee that you'll find power to charge at the end of the day.

That's a very good point... I have very good lights already but they have to be charged... Last thing you want in the middle of nowhere at night

roadster5 wrote: »
    Hi - i have an old Dawes Super Galaxy - large frame size with mudguards and front and back carriers - needs a clean and some slight work - that i might be interestd in selling - it is nearly 30 years old though !!

Would have interest, sent you a PM there

Low end pressed steel frame and basic components ever for its era. Was a decent commuter bike in its day but now past it...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Low end pressed steel frame and basic components ever for its era. Was a decent commuter bike in its day but now past it...

Yeah thought as much... It's a pity I don't live in the UK, there's a million Dawes bikes available for very little on eBay... All collection only.

Yeah thought as much... It's a pity I don't live in the UK, there's a million Dawes bikes available for very little on eBay... All collection only.

Keep an eye out, they do pop up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ...And Dumber

Looking to build ( or outright buy) a touring bike. Will be used for three weeks around Spain and then for a lengthy enough commute and possible future tours ( this will be my first).

Budget is an issue in that when I use it for commuting I want to be more inconvenienced , rather than heartbroken, when it's nicked (been there :( )

Ideally I'd like to buy a cheap second hand steel frame and build it up, but this is where I'm ignorant. An old Dawes galaxy would be ideal but they seem few and far between on done deal. (Any other sites I should check?)

Can anyone suggest what other second hand bike models I could look at which would have a decent frame?

Any suggestions?

Hi John

I've done what you're seeking to do - developed a touring bike that is also used for commuting.

Older (rigid) mountain bikes have very similar dimensions to modern "Touring" bikes. I got an old Trek MTB and built it up to my own needs. (I had already done about 6-7000 kms touring on an old alu framed hybrid. Mine dates from the early/mid 90's and is similar to something like this .... Darn! New user can't post URLs. Check Donedeal, rigid mountainbike, seller is Andre in Cork

An old bike like this (if in good condition) is robust and tough, yet simple to maintain. Parts are easy to get (Ebay becomes your friend). The gearing is already good for touring, yet it's nippy enough for commuting. It can take big tyres with no issue. A lot of "Touring bikes" max out at 2 inches or thereabouts. Bigger tyres give you more off-road options and with no suspension can add significantly to the comfort of the ride. Important when you're touring as opposed to just going for a ride!

If you want to carry 4 bags touring, then you need to consider the wheels. Chances are, the stock wheels will not bear well with a heavy load. Check out SJSCycles in the UK (they make the Thorn touring bikes). You can get handmade touring wheels (including a dynamo) for very good prices. then you use the original wheels for commuting and keep the good ones for a tour! I think I paid ballpark 300 a couple of years ago.

Other than wheels, a bike like this is ready to go. No problem mounting a rack on the back, and there are a lot of options for a front rack too. (No braze ons on the fork).

As above, I'd recommend a a hub dynamo. Then you'll always have lights and the option to charge devices as you go. The great freedom of touring on a bike with a tent is that you can stop wherever you fancy. With dynamo charging that becomes easier.

I tried Butterfly bars on mine, but never toured on them. Just didn't suit me. I use the original MTB handlebars with bar ends.

If you look around online there is a lot of information about converting old bikes for Touring.

I've no idea what your mechanical experience is (mine was non-existent), but playing around with this old bike has really boosted my confidence - no harm when you're on the road in a strange place.

Another advantage of an old bike, especially when it looks old and well used is that it's less likely to be stolen!

Spain is fantastic for touring! Very respectful drivers, great sights, fantastic food! Campsites can be packed very tight, but I really enjoyed my time there. Helmets are compulsory! Be careful - you may enjoy yourself so much you'll want to keep touring! :-)

Oh! And for commuting? I have a 42km (total) commute every day. Winter or summer the MTB is the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You don't need to spend a lot of money.
    I bought a Carrera Parva hybrid bike from Halfords for about €300 - now selling for about €260 there.

I then added various bits myself over time.
    Mudguards
    Bar ends
    Mirror on bar end
    Rear rack
    Battery lights

The dearest things I bought were Ortlieb panniers and a handlebar bag.

The above bike has a triple chainring, so ideal for hills/touring. It has wide tyres - close to 2". Maybe not ideal for speed but great for taking weight and bumps. It is difficult to get full mudguards but I diy'd stuff myself.

I prefer flat bars with bar ends. It gives more control on twisty ground.

I am now considering getting a Brooks B17 leather saddle as the existing saddle is not really suitable for long days in the saddle.

• Advertisement

Hi John

I've done what you're seeking to do - developed a touring bike that is also used for commuting.

Older (rigid) mountain bikes have very similar dimensions to modern "Touring" bikes. I got an old Trek MTB and built it up to my own needs. (I had already done about 6-7000 kms touring on an old alu framed hybrid. Mine dates from the early/mid 90's and is similar to something like this .... Darn! New user can't post URLs. Check Donedeal, rigid mountainbike, seller is Andre in Cork

An old bike like this (if in good condition) is robust and tough, yet simple to maintain. Parts are easy to get (Ebay becomes your friend). The gearing is already good for touring, yet it's nippy enough for commuting. It can take big tyres with no issue. A lot of "Touring bikes" max out at 2 inches or thereabouts. Bigger tyres give you more off-road options and with no suspension can add significantly to the comfort of the ride. Important when you're touring as opposed to just going for a ride!

If you want to carry 4 bags touring, then you need to consider the wheels. Chances are, the stock wheels will not bear well with a heavy load. Check out SJSCycles in the UK (they make the Thorn touring bikes). You can get handmade touring wheels (including a dynamo) for very good prices. then you use the original wheels for commuting and keep the good ones for a tour! I think I paid ballpark 300 a couple of years ago.

Other than wheels, a bike like this is ready to go. No problem mounting a rack on the back, and there are a lot of options for a front rack too. (No braze ons on the fork).

As above, I'd recommend a a hub dynamo. Then you'll always have lights and the option to charge devices as you go. The great freedom of touring on a bike with a tent is that you can stop wherever you fancy. With dynamo charging that becomes easier.

I tried Butterfly bars on mine, but never toured on them. Just didn't suit me. I use the original MTB handlebars with bar ends.

If you look around online there is a lot of information about converting old bikes for Touring.

I've no idea what your mechanical experience is (mine was non-existent), but playing around with this old bike has really boosted my confidence - no harm when you're on the road in a strange place.

Another advantage of an old bike, especially when it looks old and well used is that it's less likely to be stolen!

Spain is fantastic for touring! Very respectful drivers, great sights, fantastic food! Campsites can be packed very tight, but I really enjoyed my time there. Helmets are compulsory! Be careful - you may enjoy yourself so much you'll want to keep touring! :-)

Oh! And for commuting? I have a 42km (total) commute every day. Winter or summer the MTB is the business!

Thanks very much there's a bit to digest there!

I think I'm going to go around a bunch of second hand bike shops to get a better idea, I'll have to look at MTBs too

Advertisement