Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop under guarantee?

Options
  • 11-04-2018 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

Bought a laptop online with pc world in Nov 2016, recently a large dead spot has started appearing in the bottom corner and is getting bigger all the time

It’s still covered under the 2 year guarantee, however the laptop suffered water damage in Oct 2017 and had to be fixed, at a second hand shop after I already brought it to my local pc world who advised me to bring it to this place

Is it worth my time bringing the laptop to another pc world to try and get a refund? Would a large dead spot have been caused by water damage? It didn’t appear until about a month after the water damage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say you've no chance, as PC World would just send it off to a repair agent who would tell immediately it had already been worked on elsewhere, and it'd just be shipped back to you.

The current problem may or may not be related to the initial damage. Hard to say without full details, but odds would be that they're linked (either by the damage or the subsequent repair job even).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Fair enough so if they would definitely be able to tell then theres no point, its already so bad i cant see the time in the corner so it won’t be usable for much more than a year really

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fair enough so if they would definitely be able to tell then theres no point, its already so bad i cant see the time in the corner so it won’t be usable for much more than a year really

When it was water damaged, what was replaced? You have no recourse with PCWorld at this point, but it might be possible to fix.

When it was water damaged, what was replaced? You have no recourse with PCWorld at this point, but it might be possible to fix.

Nothing was replaced just a clean out charge of €50 iirc. It would be possible to fix but would be around €200 according a friend since it would more than likely need a new screen which i was surpised at since its not exactly a top of the range laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Nothing was replaced just a clean out charge of €50 iirc. It would be possible to fix but would be around €200 according a friend since it would more than likely need a new screen which i was surpised at since its not exactly a top of the range laptop.

Think €200 is a bit steep. Find the correct model of screen and replace it yourself. There's plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it.

What make/model laptop is it?

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think €200 is a bit steep. Find the correct model of screen and replace it yourself. There's plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it.

What make/model laptop is it?

It’s a HP 15-ay168sa, if it is easy enough to replace then and costs in or around €100 then it would be worth it if i can find a proper video showing the steps for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It’s a HP 15-ay168sa, if it is easy enough to replace then and costs in or around €100 then it would be worth it if i can find a proper video showing the steps for doing it

They are very easy to replace. Unscrew surround and screws attaching panel. Unclip ribbon cable. Swap in New panel and do those steps in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Quick google found this

http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/shop/HP-COMPAQ-NOTEBOOK-PC-15-AY168SA-15.6-LAPTOP-SCREEN__186050.asp

And there's lot's of videos showing how to replace the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jacksie66 wrote:
    Physical damage and repaired by a third party. Your warranty with pc world is completely gone.

And op wouldn't get a refund at this stage either under the warranty. A repair is the best they could have hoped for. As you says it's voided now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

why not try the warranty with PC world, nothing to lose

FanadMan wrote: »
    Quick google found this

http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/shop/HP-COMPAQ-NOTEBOOK-PC-15-AY168SA-15.6-LAPTOP-SCREEN__186050.asp

And there's lot's of videos showing how to replace the screen.

Well thats a lot cheaper than I expected, I'd be silly not to do it myself for little over €50, thanks man

jeepcj wrote: »
    why not try the warranty with PC world, nothing to lose

As someone said above they'd probably send it away for assessment and if/when they find out I'm telling porkies I'd imagine I'll get charged their usual charge which is something like €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement