Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryf swim thread on ST

Options
  • 11-04-2018 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have yet to read all the thread but this post in particular I found very interesting. I like how he articulates the swimmer versus faster triathlon swimmer point.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

still the real take away is she swims in 3 days more than most here in 3 month lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

For clarity, her posted set was this 6k main set:
    1000m pad/pb leaving @12.30
    10x100m pb leaving @1.20
    800m pad/pb @10‘;
    8x100m pb @1.20
    600m pad/pb @7.30
    6x100m pb @1.20
    400m pad/pb @5‘;
    4x100m pb @1.20
    200m pad/pb @2.30
    2x100m pb @1.20
    Makes 6k in 1h 17’30“

If thats what her coach advises, there's not a lot else anyone can say- he knows her abilities and how important relatively her swim is to her bike&run. For an excellent swimmer looking to find legs in an IM distance, and reel in the better swimmers over the remaining legs, its a perfectly valid set.

Every swimmer could pick a comment from ST they might agree with (that validates their use/overuse of pull boy and other toys). Personally I'd agree with the comment that AG swimmers need kick work to help improve their position. If an AG'er uses the pb all the time in the pool they are probably missing out on a whole load of position, streamline, rotation, breathing, core exercises that would ultimately improve their wetsuit swimming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Haven't a chance to read through it all right now and have just skimmed but, I read a Brett Sutton article maybe a year or so ago where he talked about e use of paddles / pull buoy. I did quite a lot of swimming with paddles and pull buoy last year and my ow swim times improved, I do call the paddles and pull buoy my crutches myself but my pool and ow times have improved from using them more. So, easy to agree with that post and say that that formula works based on my experience.

I need to be able to swim fast in open water, with or without wetsuit I can beat people ow that are faster than me in the pool. What that means I don't know, perhaps I'm less nervous in ow or perhaps my swim stroke is better suited to ow than theirs is? But I definitely agree with the becoming a better triathlon swimmer angle.

edit: kurt posted while I was. For a long time my swim was propelled by my kick, one thing I noticed is that my kick isn't as strong as it used to be (or it feels that way because I don't 'need' my kick to move as fast any more now my technique has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

TriFirst wrote: »

when she was a swimmer not for kona.
    i think she does around 25-30 a week nowadays

• Advertisement
Advertisement