Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about M50 penalty.

• 11-04-2018 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭

I made two journeys on the M50 last Friday, and completely forgot to pay the toll until this morning.

So I suppose I have to pay a penalty, and I am resigned to that. I wanted to just pay it and get it over with, but when I went onto the E flow website today, it was not possible to pay it.

Instead the advice is simply to wait until I get a notification of the fine, because that notification contains a journey reference number which I need to pay the penalty.

I have never had to deal with this before - is this all standard for M50 penalties? I expected that information to be available to me on the website and to just be able to pay it then.

And can I expect the fine to be €6.20 x 2, plus an extra €3, and have 14 days to pay that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just pop into a garage and pay two tolls. Keep the receipt. When/if your contacted, explain the situation.

Be grand.

Oh. And sign up for a video account. It's free.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Rather than waiting to try and figure it out better off waiting for the letter.

Otherwise:

bcf.png

Pay it in a shop and hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

endacl wrote: »
    Just pop into a garage and pay two tolls. Keep the receipt. When/if your contacted, explain the situation.

Be grand.

Oh. And sign up for a video account. It's free.

I had thought about just paying it anyway, but it said that the fine itself would remain.

Should I just pay it anyway, and hope that a kindly soul sees it somewhere along the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Give them a bell and talk to them. I've always found them to be more than reasonable if you are playing ball.

1890 50 10 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Call their number, this has happened to me a few times. Has never been an issue and I just pay it over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you ring and ask to sign up to a video account (which is well worth it in my opinion just for peace of mind of not having to worry about paying) there is good chance they will waive the fine

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

cruizer101 wrote: »
    If you ring and ask to sign up to a video account (which is well worth it in my opinion just for peace of mind of not having to worry about paying) there is good chance they will waive the fine

I was in a similar situation as the OP and set up a video account with then too. It's very handy and they were nice to deal with too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Me too, after more than a couple of penalties I set up a video account for both cars, no hassle anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i have never heard of them not waving a fine when you sign up for the video or tag account.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

osarusan wrote: »
    I made two journeys on the M50 last Friday, and completely forgot to pay the toll until this morning.

So I suppose I have to pay a penalty, and I am resigned to that. I wanted to just pay it and get it over with, but when I went onto the E flow website today, it was not possible to pay it.

Instead the advice is simply to wait until I get a notification of the fine, because that notification contains a journey reference number which I need to pay the penalty.

I have never had to deal with this before - is this all standard for M50 penalties? I expected that information to be available to me on the website and to just be able to pay it then.

And can I expect the fine to be €6.20 x 2, plus an extra €3, and have 14 days to pay that?

OP no need to worry about. The same case for me when I went to Dublin from Galway last year and forgot to pay. I got a letter saying that I need to pay for around 4€ with no penalty.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, called them up and paid - I did have to pay the extra 6.20, but that's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

They are the most pleasant and helpful company to deal with over the phone if you have a genuine error. They are an example of good customer care in my experiences.

The letter arrived about an hour after I got off the phone.

Most annoying thing about it all is that I was travelling north and got off at junction 6 for Castleknock, so I was on the tolled section for probably the shortest time it's possible to be.

Makes it worse somehow.

But hey, we got a point in Dalymount, it's grand really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't forget to update the car details online when you change to a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

When change of ownership occurs you even get an email if you forget!

And don't forget to update the card attached to the account.

Video account is great and peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

elperello wrote: »
    Don't forget to update the car details online when you change to a new car.

and when you get a new credit/debit card, easy to get caught out that way as well. I added my new card, but forgot to change it to the default payment, luckily i caught it before the fines built up.

Right, I am back with another M50 blunder.

Went on the M50 yesterday (though the tolled section), didn't pay it yesterday as I knew I was coming back through the same section today, and planned to pay both at the same time.

Things took longer than expected, and ended up not going through until just before 8. Only realised then that the deadline for the previous day was about to pass. I stopped at a petrol station and paid 2 fares at about 8.10.

Is there any grace period involved here? Or will somebody see the time of payment and let it go? Or once it hits 20.00, is that it and fines are applied, no exceptions (or even human involvement)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You should be fine. Know someone who always paid it later and never had a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

osarusan wrote: »
    Right, I am back with another M50 blunder.

Went on the M50 yesterday (though the tolled section), didn't pay it yesterday as I knew I was coming back through the same section today, and planned to pay both at the same time.

Things took longer than expected, and ended up not going through until just before 8. Only realised then that the deadline for the previous day was about to pass. I stopped at a petrol station and paid 2 fares at about 8.10.

Is there any grace period involved here? Or will somebody see the time of payment and let it go? Or once it hits 20.00, is that it and fines are applied, no exceptions (or even human involvement)?
    You didn't bother with the video account then:)

Advertisement