Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifii speed v cable speed

• 11-04-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have got connected to Fiber using Eir F2000 modem. I get speed up to 140mps using cabel connection on laptop but going to wifi it goes down to 20mps.
    Anyone know if this is normal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's quite normal for a WiFi connection to be condiderably slower than connecting a cable to your modem/router. This is why most speedtest applications or sites advise to test using a wired connection from your device to the modem/router.

If you check the wireless network properties on your laptop you should be able to see the speed of the wireless network. This will be higher than the actual speed returned by a speedtest (run over wifi) due to overhead in the wireless signal.

If you're in an urban area with several other wireless networks nearby they can also reduce wireless speed due to contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sole2

Thank you.
    I have just discovered that I can go to 5g instead of the 4g that I was on and this goes up another 10m - so not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sole2 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I have just discovered that I can go to 5g instead of the 4g that I was on and this goes up another 10m - so not bad.

5 instead of 2.4, there is no 4.

Advertisement