Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot for Tandom

Options
  • 11-04-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Though my club Velo Club Balrothery we have received a request from a chap who is blind looking for a person to cycle with as a pilot. The chap is based in the Tallaght area. If anyone might be interested in getting involved can you let me know.

If anyone knows of an organisation or club who might be able to assist him too it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

I might be interested - although im in Swords - have been thinking about doing this for a while as we already have a club member in the same situation - im in the 50-60 age bracket, with no tandom experience

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

roadster5 wrote: »
    I might be interested - although im in Swords - have been thinking about doing this for a while as we already have a club member in the same situation - im in the 50-60 age bracket, with no tandom experience

Great i'll PM you his number and you get touch base with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

roadster5 wrote: »

It might be worth trying to hook up with an experienced tandem rider for a couple of spins. There can be some issues piloting a tandem like the stoker trying to steer which doesn't work but tends to make the bike wobble.

You also have to communicate with your stoker when starting, stopping, foot down, even freewheeling ('cos a shin cracked on a pedal hurts like fsck!). This sounds kinda obvious with a blind rider but is true even with a sighted rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

detones wrote: »
    Though my club Velo Club Balrothery we have received a request from a chap who is blind looking for a person to cycle with as a pilot. The chap is based in the Tallaght area. If anyone might be interested in getting involved can you let me know.

If anyone knows of an organisation or club who might be able to assist him too it would be great.

Vision Sports Ireland would be a good starting point also, I know they have tandem riders that they work with, and might have a network in that area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Bit off subject but apart from the bike rental in phoenix park is there any other places in Dublin that you can rent out a tandem bike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement