Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castlebar Tourist Office - what is happening?

• 11-04-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

I was in Castlebar today and needed to go into Tourist Office on Linenhall St only to find that is closed and in complete darkness.
    I was informed that it has been closed since mid February and no sign of it opening up in the near future. Anyone know what the story is? Very strange that we have no such office in the county town.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's not summer season probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's not summer season probably

True but afaik it was open over the winter months until it shut in February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

It used to be run by the Chamber of Commerce but they closed down too. For a town of its size, really bad there is no tourist office and have a Chamber that allowed itself to implode?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mayfire wrote: »
    It used to be run by the Chamber of Commerce but they closed down too. For a town of its size, really bad there is no tourist office and have a Chamber that allowed itself to implode?

Castlebar Chamber is quite active, to judge by the emails I periodically get from them and the events I've attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mayfire wrote:

Where you getting this nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I was in Castlebar today and needed to go into Tourist Office on Linenhall St only to find that is closed and in complete darkness.
    I was informed that it has been closed since mid February and no sign of it opening up in the near future. Anyone know what the story is? Very strange that we have no such office in the county town.
    Discover Ireland does not list any Tourist Office for Castlebar. https://www.discoverireland.ie/Tourist-Item-Pages/Tourist-Information-Offices

Who would you suggest to fund such an office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lissavane wrote: »
    Discover Ireland does not list any Tourist Office for Castlebar. https://www.discoverireland.ie/Tourist-Item-Pages/Tourist-Information-Offices

Who would you suggest to fund such an office?

Well i would have thought it would be publicly funded though it seems it was the chamber that funded it. btw i did a bit of digging and i find it odd that Castlebar Chamber of Commerce is not listed with the overall body chambers.ie . Can anyone explain why this might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Well i would have thought it would be publicly funded though it seems it was the chamber that funded it. btw i did a bit of digging and i find it odd that Castlebar Chamber of Commerce is not listed with the overall body chambers.ie . Can anyone explain why this might be?

Interesting. It looks as if many, possibly most, Chambers of Commerce throughout the country are not registered with Chambers Ireland. Both counties Kerry and Galway have only one listed - Tralee and Galway City. There are many more Chambers in these counties.

http://www.chambers.ie/about/contact/find-your-local-chamber/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lissavane wrote: »
    Interesting. It looks as if many, possibly most, Chambers of Commerce throughout the country are not registered with Chambers Ireland. Both counties Kerry and Galway have only one listed - Tralee and Galway City. There are many more Chambers in these counties.

http://www.chambers.ie/about/contact/find-your-local-chamber/

I'm not 100% but I think each Chamber needs to pay to be a member of Chambers Ireland, if they don't, they're not listed.

For a group of business people, you would imagine that a half decent website would be a fairly easy task. The last news items on its site are from 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Do tourists these days not have google?? Do we need tourist offices all year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Still no sign of place opening up .....Summer will be over by time it's open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's probably linked to Apache Pizza closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 InsideInfo96

It appears it was temporarily closed for a period of time. I can confirm that the tourist office is back open.

Advertisement