Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statutory inspections for oil, gas and electric installations?

Options
  • 11-04-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

As a landlord, are there statutory inspections for oil, gas and electric installations that I should be complying with?

I know the Minimum Standards for Rented Accomm Regs 2017 require these appliances to be kept in good repair and safe working order. But are there statutory inspections set out? Like am I meant to get the gas boiler checked yearly? Or the oil installation or electric checked every three years etc?

Is there anything in legislation where I’ve to get inspection certification for these installations?

Just want to ensure I’m complying with the law.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Boiler serviced yearly or as per the manufactures guidelines by a registered RGI professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

kceire wrote: »
    Boiler serviced yearly or as per the manufactures guidelines by a registered RGI professional.

Thanks. Is this just guidance though or legislation? If it’s legislation, what are the regs/statutory instrument requiring this? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks. Is this just guidance though or legislation? If it’s legislation, what are the regs/statutory instrument requiring this? Thanks

If the manufacturer recommends servicing every 12 months then it must be done. If the boiler leaks and causes illness or worse to a tenant and the cause was lack of servicing to the boiler then you would find yourself in court I would imagine.

It’s like a company providing a car to an employee and then not servicing it, and the employee crashes due to brake failure or something similar.

Sorry I can’t link to an SI or anything but I would consider the above to be common sense and I wouldn’t deem us a nation of people that requires our coffee cups to come with a ‘hot contents’ warning.

Could be loosely covered under the Construction Product Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

kceire wrote: »
    If the manufacturer recommends servicing every 12 months then it must be done. If the boiler leaks and causes illness or worse to a tenant and the cause was lack of servicing to the boiler then you would find yourself in court I would imagine.

It’s like a company providing a car to an employee and then not servicing it, and the employee crashes due to brake failure or something similar.

Sorry I can’t link to an SI or anything but I would consider the above to be common sense and I wouldn’t deem us a nation of people that requires our coffee cups to come with a ‘hot contents’ warning.

Could be loosely covered under the Construction Product Regulations.

Thanks so much. I’m absolutely in agreement. Unfortunately when things do go to court, recommendations don’t carry as much weight as legislation..so I’m trying to just check what the law requires. Recommendations aren’t requirements. I’m fully in agreement with frequent servicing etc. by the way!

Advertisement