Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just got a call to say my watch arrived in DID, so will collect it after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ordered x5 MiBand 2's there to the work address from Gearbest, will be ordering another x5 later to the home address...all for the OH colleagues and friends. They're very popular! Fingers crossed for customs etc, paid extra for insurance and registered delivery. Going to get the Bip later too for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Can any of the amazfit watches operate Spotify offline?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

dedaw wrote:
    Can any of the amazfit watches operate Spotify offline?

Stratos watch is a closed OS, no apps outside of what Xiaomi puts on it. There is a music player with 4gb storage, and you can Bluetooth to headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Think I made a big mistake, someone please tell me that the Galaxy Watch supports Google Pay! If its only Samsung Pay, is that even supported by any banks here? Poor research on my part I fear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Think I made a big mistake, someone please tell me that the Galaxy Watch supports Google Pay! If its only Samsung Pay, is that even supported by any banks here? Poor research on my part I fear

It runs Tisen not Wear OS (Android), it'll never have Google Pay as Samsung push their own Pay ecosystem

Yeah, it's only Samsung Pay, which doesn't work here at all. Not sure if it works in some banks, but definitely not BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats why none of the Gear watches are anywhere on my radar. Android is fragmented enough without Sammys own OSs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's a pity you can't get Google Pay on a Tizen watch but I couldn't imagine it being anything other than really awkward to pay that way anyway.

Android is only fragmented by people who either don't know or choose to have it that way anyway.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's a pity you can't get Google Pay on a Tizen watch but I couldn't imagine it being anything other than really awkward to pay that way anyway.

Android is only fragmented by people who either don't know or choose to have it that way anyway.

I have to say that having had the Apple Watch for a long time, I found Apple Pay really easy to use, press the button and hold the watch to the terminal. I am gutted that my new Galaxy watch doesn't have the same functionality in Ireland. Hopefully Samsung Pay will be supported by the banks and Samsung here soon:(

• Advertisement

I have to say that having had the Apple Watch for a long time, I found Apple Pay really easy to use, press the button and hold the watch to the terminal. I am gutted that my new Galaxy watch doesn't have the same functionality in Ireland. Hopefully Samsung Pay will be supported by the banks and Samsung here soon:(

You might be lucky, I've heard PayPal might be close in the UK.

Unless you're with Bank of Ireland. They're introducing modern technology in 2032.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Patww79 wrote: »

For the consumer it is. Not everyone is flashing beta builds of Pie.

ED E wrote: »
    For the consumer it is. Not everyone is flashing beta builds of Pie.

The normal consumer hasn't a clue. But the rest can just buy a phone that gets updated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I ordered the Galaxy watch from DID but I was stupid and ordered the black 42mm one instead of the 46mm silver 1, I'll be returning the watch when I get it but if anyone here wants to swap for the 46mm (with cash for the balance) I'll be happy to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone owns Samsung Gear sport? How is the battery life? Is there any difference between gear sport and frontier apart from Gear sport being fully waterproof and no speaker. It's 155e on eglobal, pretty good price.
    I like the new Galaxy Watch but not sure if it's worth it.
    So I'm thinking Gear sport or the Amazfit Cor(65€). Looks pretty good, colour display and more functionality than Xiaomi mi band 3, which I bought week ago but not really happy with it, very thin, screen readibility is bad too. I'll will definitely return it.

kave2 wrote: »
    Anyone owns Samsung Gear sport? How is the battery life? Is there any difference between gear sport and frontier apart from Gear sport being fully waterproof and no speaker. It's 155e on eglobal, pretty good price.
    I like the new Galaxy Watch but not sure if it's worth it.
    So I'm thinking Gear sport or the Amazfit Cor(65€). Looks pretty good, colour display and more functionality than Xiaomi mi band 3, which I bought week ago but not really happy with it, very thin, screen readibility is bad too. I'll will definitely return it.

I never really liked the shape of the Gear sport but would be good for anyone who wanted something a touch smaller.

Here's a comparison thing https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-sport-vs-gear-s3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the gear sport and bought it instead of the other Samsung watch's because of its size.Its a nicer fit on the wrist imo.

Battery is ok ,depending on the options/set up you can get 3 days out of it easy.

So I'm quite happy with my new Samsung watch, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any apps I should be downloading for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have been using a S3 Frontier for about 3 weeks now, very happy with it but I wish I had checked about NFC payments beforehand - not the end of the world but I would like to be able to use Android Pay. Samsung pay no good to me.

Overall very happy with it for €200 (Eglobal).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Today for first time I saw a sign for Samsung pay. Maybe time to consider the Samsung smartwatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ldr wrote: »
    Today for first time I saw a sign for Samsung pay. Maybe time to consider the Samsung smartwatch

Would Samsung pay not work anywhere that contactless is available anyway? The issue is that none of the Irish banks support it? Or is there something that needs to happen at terminals for this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

maximoose wrote: »
    Have been using a S3 Frontier for about 3 weeks now, very happy with it but I wish I had checked about NFC payments beforehand - not the end of the world but I would like to be able to use Android Pay. Samsung pay no good to me.

Overall very happy with it for €200 (Eglobal).

Is EGlobal a legit site. I've seen it mentioned a few times

Carroller wrote: »

It's grand, just be prepared for a delay if the item is new on the market as it'll say they've stock but they won't. Delivery can be about 2 weeks also.

dulpit wrote: »
    Would Samsung pay not work anywhere that contactless is available anyway? The issue is that none of the Irish banks support it? Or is there something that needs to happen at terminals for this too?

As far as i'm aware, even if it worked in shops, the banks still need to support it. And BOI at the very least are beyond slow at bringing in new tech, so i doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

Something like Revolut, N26, or PayPal would probably be the best bet of anyone doing it here.

Kiith wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware, even if it worked in shops, the banks still need to support it. And BOI at the very least are beyond slow at bringing in new tech, so i doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

Think this is correct Kiith, I tried adding an UB card to Samsung Pay on the new Note 9 and it was not accepted. It reallly bugs me that Android Pay works on my Note but not on my Galaxy Watch:mad::mad:

This is my Reply from Samsung Ireland when I queried it.

"We do understand your frustration with the lack of support for Samsung Pay in Ireland, and although we are still making attempts to rectify this, there is currently no confirmation on when this is likely to happen. We do recommend keeping an eye on our website, and social media channels, for further updates".

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Think this is correct Kiith, I tried adding an UB card to Samsung Pay on the new Note 9 and it was not accepted. It reallly bugs me that Android Pay works on my Note but not on my Galaxy Watch:mad::mad:

This is my Reply from Samsung Ireland when I queried it.

"We do understand your frustration with the lack of support for Samsung Pay in Ireland, and although we are still making attempts to rectify this, there is currently no confirmation on when this is likely to happen. We do recommend keeping an eye on our website, and social media channels, for further updates".

Galaxy Watch is Tizen OS, obviously you won't get Google Pay. You need Wear OS watch for Google Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I wouldn't get too caught up in any case. Android Pay on Wear OS is not compatible in Ireland. The app keeps on disabling itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Anyone still waiting on their Galaxy Watch pre-order from DID? Ordered on 5th September and last update I got was that stock would be received this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Carroller wrote: »

Watch was delivered in 6 days, have ordered a few phones from them before too - never any issues

Advertisement