Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

coach22 wrote: »
    I have the Huawei watch 2 4g and like it. I bought it because of the price though. 150 euro. Its handy being able to put my sim card in the watch when I go mtb and I can leave my phone at home.

I don't mind the straps that come with it. I just got a metal straps for it on ebay and they do look nicer. cost me 10 euro

I have a Samsung phone though so would be tempted by the galaxy if money was no object and it is newer than the Huawei watch 2

Thanks for the reply. I can get a Huawei watch 2 4g for €185. Don't know if I should go for it as they've been on sale a while now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

1jcdub wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I can get a Huawei watch 2 4g for €185. Don't know if I should go for it as they've been on sale a while now?
    I'm waiting for the new Qualcomm chips to come out more widely rather than buying something that is a year or two old - seems like they will improve battery life

I'm waiting for the new Qualcomm chips to come out more widely rather than buying something that is a year or two old - seems like they will improve battery life

I went ahead and bought the galaxy watch 46mm (I've got a big wrist lol) I got one a month old, so I saved a lot on new. As you said the Huawei watch 2 is adjust 2 years old and the Huawei watch GT doesn't seem to be that great according to the reviews.
    At the price I paid for the galaxy watch. If I don't like it I can sell it and lose nothing on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Just ordered amazfit stratos 2 on geekbuying Italy for 135€ .
    Review on way when I receive.
    Not expecting fenix standard but want to use it for running and cycling.
    Anyone got it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

seanin4711 wrote:
    Just ordered amazfit stratos 2 on geekbuying Italy for 135€ . Review on way when I receive. Not expecting fenix standard but want to use it for running and cycling. Anyone got it?

Yeah,.I have one, the current firmware is good, txt msg alerts, Twitter notifications, battery life still excellent.
    For sports it's great and links with Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Just ordered amazfit stratos 2 on geekbuying Italy for 135€ .
    Review on way when I receive.
    Not expecting fenix standard but want to use it for running and cycling.
    Anyone got it?

I have the Pace which is very similar & I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

gman2k wrote: »
    Yeah,.I have one, the current firmware is good, txt msg alerts, Twitter notifications, battery life still excellent.

strava elevate addon for chrome is also super for a deeper dive into data!
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/elevate-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Well these look a good deal lol

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/409207

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

How accurate is the GPS and heart rate?

• Advertisement

I went to Drogheda Maxol early Sunday morning to collect my Samsung galaxy from parcel motel and there was 5 doors open and the service screen was saying it was temporary unavailable. So I couldn't collect my parcel. They weren't available to contact until this morning, I explained what I found to PM. But they said it should be ok. So my wife them went to collect my watch early today and when the door opened the was nothing in it. Some scu**ag broke into the lockers and my watch was in one of them! I'd say the watched them being filled with parcels.
    Provided PM with proof of purchase. Now I have to wait until the investigate further and hopefully get a refund for my purchase.

1jcdub wrote: »
    I went to Drogheda Maxol early Sunday morning to collect my Samsung galaxy from parcel motel and there was 5 doors open and the service screen was saying it was temporary unavailable. So I couldn't collect my parcel. They weren't available to contact until this morning, I explained what I found to PM. But they said it should be ok. So my wife them went to collect my watch early today and when the door opened the was nothing in it. Some scu**ag broke into the lockers and my watch was in one of them! I'd say the watched them being filled with parcels.
    Provided PM with proof of purchase. Now I have to wait until the investigate further and hopefully get a refund for my purchase.

Best of luck with their customer service. That's an absolute sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

ewc78 wrote:
    How accurate is the GPS and heart rate?

The GPS is very accurate, on mapping a bike ride home one day, when zoomed in on satellite view (on the phone app) I could see a minor deviation of a couple of meters that I had to take when stopping at a shop.
    I've no reason to distrust the heart rate, and it does continuous monitoring when on a ride. The data when overlaid against the elevation profile matches - I e. When cycling uphill, the heart rate rises.
    The altitude measurement seems inaccurate, but the latest firmware was meant to address that, but I've not been out to test it yet.
    You can also mute or reject incoming calls from the watch, and it has caller ID

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The altitude measurement seems inaccurate, but the latest firmware was ...

The way they've done Alt is braindead stupid. They're using live GPS readings, this doesnt work, especially not on wearables. You need an altimeter (air pressure) or compare to topographical data (Strava does this when alt not present). The values they'll get from their own GPS solutions will be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ED E wrote: »
    The way they've done Alt is braindead stupid. They're using live GPS readings, this doesnt work, especially not on wearables. You need an altimeter (air pressure) or compare to topographical data (Strava does this when alt not present). The values they'll get from their own GPS solutions will be useless.

Most altimeters will be inaccurate as the barometers can't be calibrated. You need to reset an altimeter to local pressure.

The Barometer on my Pace reads high compared to the actual pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ordered x 5 miband 2's on the 09/10, they were only shipped 25/10 due to no stock and have been in Ireland since 28/10 with no update on 17 Track. Messaged Gearbest yesterday and they said they are going to contact the courier and allow 10 working days for an answer! Bloody joke of a site. Back in September I ordered x5 of the watches and had them in less than 2 weeks. I also have x1 Miband 3 on order so not too confident about getting that anytime soon.

For those that have used the Huawei Watch 2 as a running watch how do you find it? I think I'm edging towards that over the Amazfit. The version that can take a sim card appeals to me as I'd often be gone on a run for maybe 2hrs+ and I hate having to bring my phone with me while running
    For reasons I won't go into I don't like being gone somewhere for too long without being able to be contacted if I'm needed.
    The fact the Huawei 4g can be used without a phone could be a deal breaker but I would like to know what the GPS and heart rate accuracy was like first before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ewc78 wrote: »
    For those that have used the Huawei Watch 2 as a running watch how do you find it? I think I'm edging towards that over the Amazfit. The version that can take a sim card appeals to me as I'd often be gone on a run for maybe 2hrs+ and I hate having to bring my phone with me while running
    For reasons I won't go into I don't like being gone somewhere for too long without being able to be contacted if I'm needed.
    The fact the Huawei 4g can be used without a phone could be a deal breaker but I would like to know what the GPS and heart rate accuracy was like first before I buy.

No companion sims in Ireland, kinda makes having a cellular watch messy (2nd number, 2nd bill)

ED E wrote: »
    No companion sims in Ireland, kinda makes having a cellular watch messy (2nd number, 2nd bill)

Tesco mobile have a sim that you only need to top up once every 3 months by a minimum of €5 to keep it active(was just onto them there on Facebook)
    Second number wouldn't be an issue for me.

More interested in how it is as a sports watch to be honest. Having the ability to be contacted without a phone is a huge plus but if the watch isn't any good for GPS or Heart rate it wouldn't be much use to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

ewc78 wrote: »

Yes I have used it for a couple of runs and use the strava app to record. Seems fine to me. Battery life wouldn't be that great if you are using gps and cellular though. Should easily cover 2+ hours though.

Plus if you like to listen to music while running you could pair some bluetooth headphones with it and use google play music. You can download some music in advance if you don't want to stream

Its easy to put a sim card in it. I don't have a second sim. I just swap my sim from my phone to the watch whenever I need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Does the gear S3 play nice with the Huawei P20 Pro? I saw someone with a mate 20 say it ate the phone battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.
    I've a Samsung gear sport and picked up a pair of Taotronic TTBH-16 in ear headphones this morning.
    I have tried numerous times but can't get them to pair. The earphones paired to my phone, a Xiaomi MIA1, no problem. Turned off my phone's Bluetooth to ensure it wasn't interfering but no joy with the watch.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Was going to post in Running section but might get a better answer here.

I’m looking for a watch that has GPS and Spotify. Ideally spotify can be downloaded to the watch, even just one album would be enough. Don’t want to stream as I run.

I think the Garmin Fenix fits the bill but it’s £350 sterling which is a LOT more than I want to spend.

Any thoughts?

Ps I use an iPhone 5S as my phone if that matters at all.

The aforementioned Gear and Galaxy watches have a Spotify app on the device for offline playback. Not sure about Wear OS.

Though if you are really into fitness tracking then all the Samsung and Wear OS devices will be useless for the tracking anyway as they're all 'Jack of all, master of none' type things.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The aforementioned Gear and Galaxy watches have a Spotify app on the device for offline playback. Not sure about Wear OS.

Though if you are really into fitness tracking then all the Samsung and Wear OS devices will be useless for the tracking anyway as they're all 'Jack of all, master of none' type things.

Only interested in it for GPS when our running tbh. Heart monitor is a bonus but not necessary really.

The Spotify playback is necessary.

Looking at the Huawei 2 sports watch. £179 sterling on amazon. Maybe get it on Black Friday for cheaper.

Looks like it fits the bill to me. Am I missing something?

Only interested in it for GPS when our running tbh. Heart monitor is a bonus but not necessary really.

The Spotify playback is necessary.

Looking at the Huawei 2 sports watch. £179 sterling on amazon. Maybe get it on Black Friday for cheaper.

Looks like it fits the bill to me. Am I missing something?

No it is perfect for that. There is a spotify app I just happen to use google music instead.

£179 seems pricey. Keep an eye out for deals. I got the 4g version for €150 a few months back from the amazon warehouse. It was in perfect condition

No it is perfect for that. There is a spotify app I just happen to use google music instead.

£179 seems pricey. Keep an eye out for deals. I got the 4g version for €150 a few months back from the amazon warehouse. It was in perfect condition

Ok cool. I’d happily pay €150. I’m in no rush so I’ll hold off for a deal if they’re potentially there. Black Friday maybe. Thanks!

I assume I could get a second sim and put it in the watch as opposed to swapping it out of my iPhone every time, would be a pain

Yeah but the second sim will have a different number. someone mentioned a few posts back that tesco mobile have a cheap deal that could be used

Yeah but the second sim will have a different number. someone mentioned a few posts back that tesco mobile have a cheap deal that could be used

Would only be for emergencies so that’d be fine. The wife ringing about the kids for example so that’d be grand.

I assume in general though if you were beside your phone it’s paired to that so its only if I was out for a run that I’d have an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hey guys am tempted by the amazfit pace. Where would be best place to buy 1? I also see there is an international and Chinese? Versions international seems a bit more expensive from what I can tell so far but I'm guessing that's the one I would need to buy?
    Wondering if I should wait till black Friday to see if there are any offers but wanna try and suss them out 1st.

Advertisement