Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Only interested in it for GPS when our running tbh. Heart monitor is a bonus but not necessary really.

The Spotify playback is necessary.

Looking at the Huawei 2 sports watch. £179 sterling on amazon. Maybe get it on Black Friday for cheaper.

Looks like it fits the bill to me. Am I missing something?

Why are people not looking at the new sport watch from fossil.

Released last week and has the brand new 3100 watch orientated chip and wear OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

listermint wrote: »
    Why are people not looking at the new sport watch from fossil.

Released last week and has the brand new 3100 watch orientated chip and wear OS.

I'd posted that a while back and it was ignored. It's been getting good reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd posted that a while back and it was ignored. It's been getting good reviews too.

Which one? Doesn't seem to have gps?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Was thinking of buying the new Fossil SPORT smartwatch, anyone able to recommend it?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Cheers, would prefer to buy in the EU. Not mad on the design either and they're pricey enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Cheers, would prefer to buy in the EU. Not mad on the design either and they're pricey enough.

Can be bought in the EU (for now) from here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For anyone looking at a Galaxy watch, John Lewis are giving £50 off if you take in any old smartwatch bringing the bigger one down to £249

Order online and use parcel motel, there's no timeframe on when you have to take in the old smart watch (I have a dead Pebble I'm using) so whenever you are next in the UK near a store...

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-galaxy-watch-46mm-silver-black/p3701422

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

Looking to buy a smartwatch for other half for Christmas, I would like one that does it all, Bluetooth, gps, heart rate, google pay. Have a budget of €350 approx.

But two considerations - he doesn't use spotify he uses deezer does this make any odds? and his phone is an Umidigi, I wonder will they work with a smart watch?

Thanks in advance, it's an investment and I want to make sure I get the best one.

Fossil unboxing

https://youtu.be/_4osCGF4h3A

Looks clean. Light and very functional.

Alot of watch for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to buy a smartwatch for other half for Christmas, I would like one that does it all, Bluetooth, gps, heart rate, google pay. Have a budget of €350 approx.

But two considerations - he doesn't use spotify he uses deezer does this make any odds? and his phone is an Umidigi, I wonder will they work with a smart watch?

Thanks in advance, it's an investment and I want to make sure I get the best one.

I got a Huawei Smart Watch earlier this year and I love it. Once you accept that they need to be charged every 36 hours or so they are fine. I don't use the Spotify control on it so I don't know anything about whether Deezer will work but I can control all my Sonos speakers in the house which is handy.

It should have no problem synching with any modern Android phone.

They've just dropped the price on Amazon so it's now just £140.

Huawei Watch 2 Sport Smartwatch on Amazon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Bought the Huawei Sport 2 4g version last night. Got it for £154
    Looking forward to getting it now. I see a few reports saying the strap isn't great.
    Anyone who has it can they recommend a good one or how bad is the strap that comes with it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Amazon deal of the day - 46% off the Huawei Watch 2 Sport & Watch 2 Classic

hi, thanks for replies, I have a Huawei phone, love them. I don't mind the charging I think 36 hours isn't to bad. Does it have all the bells and whistles? I saw that Amazon deal this morning, it's a great price.

I was also looking at these two as well, any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D564Y6S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ANF4J8X8D55C3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBFFF9K/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Amazon deal of the day - 46% off the Huawei Watch 2 Sport & Watch 2 Classic

Is this any good? Does it work with Spotify when I leave the phone at home? Reviews on Amazon aren't great.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is this any good? Does it work with Spotify when I leave the phone at home? Reviews on Amazon aren't great.

I have one and love it. It has 4GB storage but I've honestly never used the storage as it means pairing the watch to my earphones for a limited 4GB collection. I just use my phone to stream music.

ewc78 wrote: »
    Bought the Huawei Sport 2 4g version last night. Got it for £154
    Looking forward to getting it now. I see a few reports saying the strap isn't great.
    Anyone who has it can they recommend a good one or how bad is the strap that comes with it?

I still have the same strap that it came with. Yes it is plastic but surprisingly comfortable. I have no complaints. Maybe the people complaining were doing serious sports activity and it irritated them or something I don't know. But for day to day use it's absolutely fine.

hi, thanks for replies, I have a Huawei phone, love them. I don't mind the charging I think 36 hours isn't to bad. Does it have all the bells and whistles? I saw that Amazon deal this morning, it's a great price.

I was also looking at these two as well, any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D564Y6S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ANF4J8X8D55C3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBFFF9K/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The Ticwatch is fine and has similar functionality but it just feels a little bit cheaper and doesn't look as good as the Huawei in my opinion.

The Samsung get's very good reviews and looks the business but and this would put me off buying it - it runs on Samsung's own proprietary OS , Tizen. And while Android Wear isn't perfect I would think ti a little more future-proof than a proprietary OS from a single manufacturer.

If you were going to up the budget i would personally go for the classic version of the Huawei, it's the same watch but with a metal bezel and leather strap giving it a more premium feel.

BTW: Re: the Huawei, yes it's got all the bells and whistles I need. They recently updated the Huawei health app and the sleep tracking is really good. Also mines runs for 36 hours with everything switched on, bluetooth, wifi, GPS etc. You can probably get longer out of it if you switch some stuff off selectively. And once it kicks in to low power mode it will function as "just a watch" for the best part of a week.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic Smartwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I still have the same strap that it came with. Yes it is plastic but surprisingly comfortable. I have no complaints. Maybe the people complaining were doing serious sports activity and it irritated them or something I don't know. But for day to day use it's absolutely fine.

I have the first Huawei watch and think it's great. I like how it looks like a normal watch, silver bezel and metal strap. Don't know why they didn't offer a similar style for the watch 2.

The Ticwatch is fine and has similar functionality but it just feels a little bit cheaper and doesn't look as good as the Huawei in my opinion.

The Samsung get's very good reviews and looks the business but and this would put me off buying it - it runs on Samsung's own proprietary OS , Tizen. And while Android Wear isn't perfect I would think ti a little more future-proof than a proprietary OS from a single manufacturer.

If you were going to up the budget i would personally go for the classic version of the Huawei, it's the same watch but with a metal bezel and leather strap giving it a more premium feel.

BTW: Re: the Huawei, yes it's got all the bells and whistles I need. They recently updated the Huawei health app and the sleep tracking is really good. Also mines runs for 36 hours with everything switched on, bluetooth, wifi, GPS etc. You can probably get longer out of it if you switch some stuff off selectively. And once it kicks in to low power mode it will function as "just a watch" for the best part of a week.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic Smartwatch

thanks so much for this, i was reading reviews of the ticwatch and it using Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 chip and apparently that's almost out of date as a new one is being released? So I've vetoed that now, I think i might go with the Huawei, I think his next phone will be a Huawei so they'll work well together. thanks again

• Advertisement

I read those reviews about the strap and bought a recommended strap with the watch but I've never used it, I'm still on the original strap with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

thanks so much for this, i was reading reviews of the ticwatch and it using Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 chip and apparently that's almost out of date as a new one is being released? So I've vetoed that now, I think i might go with the Huawei, I think his next phone will be a Huawei so they'll work well together. thanks again

Just be aware that the Huaqei has the same processor as the Ticwatch...

dulpit wrote: »
    Just be aware that the Huaqei has the same processor as the Ticwatch...

Does it! thanks for that, so that leaves me that Samsung so. This has been such a great help thanks all.

I probably shouldn't ask this, but would everyone agree with the Samsung? no other equivalents?

Does it! thanks for that, so that leaves me that Samsung so. This has been such a great help thanks all.

I probably shouldn't ask this, but would everyone agree with the Samsung? no other equivalents?

The Samsung is not Android (Wear OS) it's Tizen

At the risk of asking a stupid question...does that make a difference? Are Samsung phones not android as well? I know his phone isn't samsung but is android.

At the risk of asking a stupid question...does that make a difference? Are Samsung phones not android as well? I know his phone isn't samsung but is android.

Depends on what you're looking for. An app with support for wear OS doesn't mean it supports Tizen. I don't have a Samsung phone so I stick with wear OS and updates from Google.

The processor you mentioned earlier is on all of the new generation watches and probably will run a bit faster and have lower power consumption but I don't think the difference will be massive from the existing generation.

Samsung use their own OS for the watch which means it connects to your Android phone via an app. So you can only run Tizen apps from Samsung on the watch.

Also Huawei have decided to use their own watch OS called LiteOS for the latest watches.

It's confusing. But to keep things simple I just wanted to stick with Google's Wear OS so I would still recommend the older Huawei watches.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic Smartwatch - Titanium Grey

- I should point out that I have a particular dislike for Samsung so feel free to ignore everything I've said! : )

My Huawei watch and Xiaomi phone have been getting on very well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Does anyone have any experience of the Amazefit Verge?

Or would an alternative be better?

Thanks in advance

https://m.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_009642030962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe we should split threads? Currently we have WearOS, Android, Tizen and Third Party "embedded" devices all in one thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe we should split threads? Currently we have WearOS, Android, Tizen and Third Party "embedded" devices all in one thread.

I agree. Lots bought the Bip, Pace etc.

Advertisement