Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe we should split threads? Currently we have WearOS, Android, Tizen and Third Party "embedded" devices all in one thread.

Yeah would be handy. Either that or just name this as a general smartwatch thread (non Apple watch I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Tickwatch pro. All review day it's a bit sluggish. This will be my only dip into wearable. Won't be going again.
    Xmas present and it's down 60 quid on Amazon until end of day.
    Anyone got one and thoughts? Thanks

peteb2 wrote: »
    Tickwatch pro. All review day it's a bit sluggish. This will be my only dip into wearable. Won't be going again.
    Xmas present and it's down 60 quid on Amazon until end of day.
    Anyone got one and thoughts? Thanks

you mean £164 sterling

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TicWatch-Bluetooth-technology-Assistant-Compatible/dp/B07D564Y6S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542644676&sr=8-3&keywords=ticwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

glasso wrote:
    you mean £164 sterling

Yeah reduced down by 60 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

£149 for the Huawei watch 2 sport on Amazon at the moment. Don't know much about smart watches... Is this good value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Amazon Price History
    Type Price When
    Current £149.99 Nov 17, 2018
    Highest * £329.00 Nov 09, 2017
    Lowest * £139.99 Nov 16, 2018
    Average + £226.60 -

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Huawei-Watch-Sport-Smartwatch-Black/product/B06Y67D8KY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm in the market for my first smart watch. From reading here the Galaxy seems the preferred option. I don't have a Samsung phone however, would it be foolish to go Galaxy with its own OS?

As for WearOS, the Huawei is probably the front runner for me but I hear it can be sluggish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Got the Huawei Watch 2 Sport 4G and while I think it's a great watch with loads of features that I think are useful,the battery life is shocking on it.
    Losing about 10% per hour even when not using it for anything, and it drains quicker when actually playing around with it.
    I bought off Amazon last week and it was advertised as Grade B. Cosmetically it is perfect but as I said the battery life is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah battery life on these seems to be a major issue, apparently wear OS is the problem. I've a TomTom smartwatch and while it's basic enough and suffers from syncing issues battery lasts around a week with a couple of runs in between.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yeah battery life on these seems to be a major issue, apparently wear OS is the problem. I've a TomTom smartwatch and while it's basic enough and suffers from syncing issues battery lasts around a week with a couple of runs in between.

I don't really give a sh1t as long as it lasts the day, which my Huawei watch 2 does easily. Why would you need it to last days? Do you not take it off at night? I have a docking charger on my bedside locker I charge it and my phone overnight

HARRYSTORE Huawei Watch 2 Charging Dock, Portable Vertical Desktop Charger Stand USB Charging Cradle Station for Huawei Watch 2,Black (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07921JZRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.Fg9BbP96H208

• Advertisement

I don't really give a sh1t as long as it lasts the day, which my Huawei watch 2 does easily. Why would you need it to last days? Do you not take it off at night? I have a docking charger on my bedside locker I charge it and my phone overnight

HARRYSTORE Huawei Watch 2 Charging Dock, Portable Vertical Desktop Charger Stand USB Charging Cradle Station for Huawei Watch 2,Black (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07921JZRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.Fg9BbP96H208

I'd use it to track sleep.

It's just another thing to charge up. Obviously if there's a watch that lasts a week or one that last 12 hours then I'm going to pick the one with better battery. I don't want to be out and about and seeing it drop 10% per hour when it's not even been used.

It's not just the huawei though I'm not sure any watch on wear OS could last a week and that seems to be the biggest draw back with them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How do the new 3100 ones fare for battery?

I like to track the sleep too so wear mine in bed. The Gear S3 lasts 3 days if I never get to a charger but I've one on the desk in work, one in the car, and one beside the sofa at home so I just pop it on when I'm sitting and keep topping it up.

Patww79 wrote: »
    How do the new 3100 ones fare for battery?

I like to track the sleep too so wear mine in bed. The Gear S3 lasts 3 days if I never get to a charger but I've one on the desk in work, one in the car, and one beside the sofa at home so I just pop it on when I'm sitting and keep topping it up.

From what's released apparently not much difference but maybe they're not optimising the chip.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Does anyone use Google pay on their Huawei watch 2? I recently bought the h watch 2 and enabled GP but it keeps disabling. It when that happens it doesn't even show up in my app list. I have to go to there play store to enable it again. Then it shows up. Frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    Ordered x 5 miband 2's on the 09/10, they were only shipped 25/10 due to no stock and have been in Ireland since 28/10 with no update on 17 Track. Messaged Gearbest yesterday and they said they are going to contact the courier and allow 10 working days for an answer! Bloody joke of a site. Back in September I ordered x5 of the watches and had them in less than 2 weeks. I also have x1 Miband 3 on order so not too confident about getting that anytime soon.

Just an update I escalated to PayPal. Convieniantly the tracking number updated the next day!

Says this afternoon it's in Athlone mail centre., item being sent to customs. Can I be screwed over for these watches? X 5 Miband2s.... Any advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What did you pay? About 110 USD? You'll owe €22 VAT and another €10 in handling for AnPost.

Paid 86 euro including delivery charge.... I hope they put that on the parcel though. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

1jcdub wrote: »
    Does anyone use Google pay on their Huawei watch 2? I recently bought the h watch 2 and enabled GP but it keeps disabling. It when that happens it doesn't even show up in my app list. I have to go to there play store to enable it again. Then it shows up. Frustrating!

Yes it's not officially available here therefore it will disable itself after 20 mins or so. Get an app called pay enabler and set it to a hardware button so you can quickly re enable it at a checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Any deals on android watches. Have a pocophone at the moment.?
    Thanks w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Anyone spot any offers on the Amazfit Bip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice, im looking for a smart watch/fitness tracker and my head is bloody melted trying to pick one out. I had settled on the samsung galaxy smart watch but i think ill be paying way over the odds for what i actually want.

Im not really interested in getting emails/watsapps to my phone. However i want something to track my workouts, ie calories burned/heart rate etc. It seems most lean towards running but my workouts would be more crossfit style so i want something that can accurately monitor that as well as being able to connect to bluetooth headphones for a bit of spotify.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Just an update I escalated to PayPal. Convieniantly the tracking number updated the next day!

Says this afternoon it's in Athlone mail centre., item being sent to customs. Can I be screwed over for these watches? X 5 Miband2s.... Any advice please

Still in Athlone Customs since 21st November... No update and no one in their mail centre/customs are answering or have voicemail set up! Any recommendations on what to do?

Paypal are saying to wait on delivery since Gearbest have provided a tracking code... I ordered these the start of October! Absolute joke.

rogieop wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice, im looking for a smart watch/fitness tracker and my head is bloody melted trying to pick one out. I had settled on the samsung galaxy smart watch but i think ill be paying way over the odds for what i actually want.

Im not really interested in getting emails/watsapps to my phone. However i want something to track my workouts, ie calories burned/heart rate etc. It seems most lean towards running but my workouts would be more crossfit style so i want something that can accurately monitor that as well as being able to connect to bluetooth headphones for a bit of spotify.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Maybe look at something like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 - there's also a music version for extra money.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Maybe look at something like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 - there's also a music version for extra money.

For a more lo-fi option you could try a hybrid smart watch like the withings steel hr sport maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Still in Athlone Customs since 21st November... No update and no one in their mail centre/customs are answering or have voicemail set up! Any recommendations on what to do?

Paypal are saying to wait on delivery since Gearbest have provided a tracking code... I ordered these the start of October! Absolute joke.

Dunno if this will help. I ordered an Android box from Gearbest in early 2015. I got a letter from An Post/whomever. This was with the Dublin office, I think. Maybe there's a contact one for Athlone or else Dublin can point you in the right direction. I emailed the email receipt/order showing the value of purchase, they responded about 3 hours later. I put the tracking number in the subject line. I can't recall if it was on this occasion or another time I had to do a bit of chasing. The address I contacted was Revenue Dublin Mail Centre, dmc@revenue.ie

Response was
    Thank you for your email. Customs Charges are due on your package. The charges and the expected delivery date are set out below. The charges can be paid to the postperson on delivery by cash (exact amount) or cheque/postal order made payable to “An Post”. If you are not in when An Post call, they will leave a note in your letterbox advising where to collect your parcel and pay the charges. Any queries or questions relating to the delivery of your package should be directed to An Post Customer Service at 1850 575859 (customer.services@anpost.ie) quoting your Track and Trace number.

Dunno if this will help. I ordered an Android box from Gearbest in early 2015. I got a letter from An Post/whomever. This was with the Dublin office, I think. Maybe there's a contact one for Athlone or else Dublin can point you in the right direction. I emailed the email receipt/order showing the value of purchase, they responded about 3 hours later. I put the tracking number in the subject line. I can't recall if it was on this occasion or another time I had to do a bit of chasing. The address I contacted was Revenue Dublin Mail Centre, dmc@revenue.ie

Response was

Thanks very much for the detailed response - I will get in touch with them tomorrow first thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Anyone here pick up the Fossil Q Gen 4? I've recently moved to Android and just need to replace my Apple Watch before making the complete switch. One of my main stipulations is for NFC payments and tracking swimming. I like that the Fossil is using Wear OS and as far as smartwatches go, it has a reasonable pricetag. I'm not on a Samsung, so I'll be staying away from their offerings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

25% off Ticwatch Pro watchrs today on Amazon

Response was

Just to update - I received the watches this morning with a customs charge of €29.20c.

I think I would have been waiting until next year if I didn't get through to them with the email you provided!! Thanks again :)

Now to treat myself for Christmas for a watch with GPS built in and I can leave my phone at home for runs...... still keeping an eye on the Amazfit Bips... cheap and cheerful. Definitely not buying from Gearbest again though :D

• Advertisement

Just to update - I received the watches this morning with a customs charge of €29.20c.

I think I would have been waiting until next year if I didn't get through to them with the email you provided!! Thanks again :)

Now to treat myself for Christmas for a watch with GPS built in and I can leave my phone at home for runs...... still keeping an eye on the Amazfit Bips... cheap and cheerful. Definitely not buying from Gearbest again though :D

the postage from Gearbest is slow but An Post have also admitted to delaying post from China - it can take a month after arriving in Ireland to be delivered. that's even before any customs issues which is not gearbest's fault - anything form outside the EU will get stopped if it's deemed to be over 24€ in value (postage cost also included) . they don't get any money from it so put it as lowest priority.

Advertisement