Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ah I see. That makes sense now. Very frustrating but i'm glad it's over and done with.

EGlobal doing Amaefit Pace for 99 euro - recommended? Three have them for 159 in store too.

will wait for the next version of the bip I think. the gps and heartrate accuracy on the current bip are pretty rubbish. hoping for an improvement there.

this app for the mi band 3 and amazefit looks handy - sends google map directions to the band/watch

handy if you were for example cycling and wanted directions without taking your phone out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.re.mibandmaps

rizzee wrote: »
    Ah I see. That makes sense now. Very frustrating but i'm glad it's over and done with.

EGlobal doing Amaefit Pace for 99 euro - recommended? Three have them for 159 in store too.

seems alright for the money and better gps accuracy than the bip but I personally don't like the look of it.

also has 4gb onboard space for music which is a good feature

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I like mine. I am very pleased with it but I only paid €75

Discodog wrote: »
    I like mine. I am very pleased with it but I only paid €75

Where abouts? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Where abouts? :)

It was in a sale on Hot deals via Ali express delivered from Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Notorious wrote: »
    Anyone here pick up the Fossil Q Gen 4? I've recently moved to Android and just need to replace my Apple Watch before making the complete switch. One of my main stipulations is for NFC payments and tracking swimming. I like that the Fossil is using Wear OS and as far as smartwatches go, it has a reasonable pricetag. I'm not on a Samsung, so I'll be staying away from their offerings.

It looks good and it has the features I wanted as well. Did you buy it? Did you have to order it online from their own website?

I have Xiaomi Amazfit, the round one, I think it's called Pace. I've had it for over a year now, it's been good for running but notifications barely work anymore and battery usually lasts 1 day. I was checking the Amazfit Startos 2 but I would imagine I would end up with the same issues.

I am also thinking of getting a different one. I was looking also into the Samsung ones but I can see that they are pricey and limited to own reduced Samsung apps (for example, despite having NFC, Samsung Pay is not supported in Ireland, so unable to use NFC for payments and Google pay can not be loaded to the Samsung watches. I actually contacted Samsung today and they told me that no Samsung Pay in Ireland at least until late in 2019!

Anyone knows of a good smartwatch, that has Android pay + notifications + long battery + running apps?

Any good Huwaei? Anyone using the Ticwatch Pro?

If anyone needs it, all the Wear OS watches listed here:

https://wearos.google.com/#find-your-watch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

JoeCat wrote: »
    I have Xiaomi Amazfit, the round one, I think it's called Pace. I've had it for over a year now, it's been good for running but notifications barely work anymore and battery usually lasts 1 day. I was checking the Amazfit Startos 2 but I would imagine I would end up with the same issues.

I am also thinking of getting a different one. I was looking also into the Samsung ones but I can see that they are pricey and limited to own reduced Samsung apps (for example, despite having NFC, Samsung Pay is not supported in Ireland, so unable to use NFC for payments and Google pay can not be loaded to the Samsung watches. I actually contacted Samsung today and they told me that no Samsung Pay in Ireland at least until late in 2019!

Anyone knows of a good smartwatch, that has Android pay + notifications + long battery + running apps?

Any good Huwaei? Anyone using the Ticwatch Pro?

If anyone needs it, all the Wear OS watches listed here:

https://wearos.google.com/#find-your-watch

I have a Ticwatch E and like it a lot. It doesn't have NFC but Android Pay on Wear OS isn't supported yet in Ireland so I believe switches off.

Really? I didn't know that Android Pay on Wear OS doesn't work in Ireland!

I thought that since Google pay works in Ireland, it would also work... :mad:

I searched it and you are 100% right:

To use Google Pay on your watch, you need to:

Be in the US, UK, Italy, Spain, Australia, Canada, Poland, Russia, or Germany.

https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/7643998?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en&oco=0&visit_id=636798060269267649-1699871944&rd=1

I can see that Ticwatch has a new one called Ticwatch C2. I really liked it but seeing that paying with Google ay doens't work either in Ireland... perhaps I change for the E or S, or the Galaxy watch itself.

How long does the bettery of Ticwatch E last for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I thought that since Google pay works in Ireland, it would also work...

I've just moved to Android from Apple and have been looking at getting a WearOS watch. One of my criteria was a watch with NFC payments as that was probably one of my most commonly used features on the Apple Watch.

Very disappointed to hear that it's not available in Ireland yet.

As for the Ticwatch E; one of the lads in work has his for a month or two. He told me the other day that he doesn't like the cheap feel of the watch. He seems much more impressed with the premium feel of some of the more expensive smart watches. Seems hard to argue with the price of the Ticwatch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/7643998?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en&oco=0&visit_id=636798060269267649-1699871944&rd=1

I can see that Ticwatch has a new one called Ticwatch C2. I really liked it but seeing that paying with Google ay doens't work either in Ireland... perhaps I change for the E or S, or the Galaxy watch itself.

There are workarounds. I use an app called pay enabler and have it mapped to a hardware button on my watch. So when I need to pay I press the hardware button sometime before getting to the till, agree to allow pay on the watch face, then Pay works for the next 20 mins or so until it disables itself again. Not ideal, but it works

I get 2 days out if it. Most people I show the watch are very impressed, personally don't think it looks or feels cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

My Ticwatch E is very slow, sometimes when you press the button nothing happens for a few seconds. Also the wrist raise gesture to turn on the screen only works about half the time.

I keep the apps on mine to a minimum and have noticed using facer for the watch face slows it down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Huawei watch 2 sport available for €188.99 on Littlewoods at the moment. Seems good value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Ush1 wrote: »
    I keep the apps on mine to a minimum and have noticed using facer for the watch face slows it down a lot.

I've been using that, must get rid of it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Picked up a brand new Amazfit Pace on Adverts there for 70 quid. I'm having trouble connecting to my phone, it won't pair at all ? I've downloaded the app, read the QR code, clicked pair on the phone and the green tick on watch and after a minute it says cannot pair. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice. Any ideas?

Phone is a Honor 10. Thanks

Edit, After a bit more research, I had to use a phone under Android 8.0 in order to connect to watch. Connected with an old work phone. Works now :)

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Huawei watch 2 sport available for €188.99 on Littlewoods at the moment. Seems good value

Since it is from beginning of 2017, I wonder if it is being updated?

Any idea if it is reliable? (battery, software, etc)

I am between this one now nd the Ticwatch C2 (the last one looks much better for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Since it is from beginning of 2017, I wonder if it is being updated?

Any idea if it is reliable? (battery, software, etc)

I am between this one now nd the Ticwatch C2 (the last one looks much better for me).

The same watch is £160 / €177 approx on Amazon at the moment so a little bit cheaper.

Huawei Watch 2 Sport Smartwatch - Black

I got one earlier this year, I like it. A solid enough device, the software is all the same for watches that use Wear OS. Huawei's latest version of this watch has switched to their own proprietary OS so I wouldn't touch that.

Battery life isn't bad. I get about 36 hours out of mine with everything switched on (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, screen display) and of course when battery gets really low it will automatically switch off all of that and can run as just a watch for about a week.

The new Ticwatch is a nice looking device though if you have the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

What's the best budget android watch out now with good notifications, GPS and fitness tracker??

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I think that is the W1. Back up to £200 but a bargain at £130.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Ticwatch E for £110 on Amazon.
    Is that a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Ticwatch Pro down too on Amazon £159.99
    http://amzn.eu/d/2g8pXbp

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

coley wrote: »
    Ticwatch Pro down too on Amazon £159.99
    http://amzn.eu/d/2g8pXbp

Would it be worth replacing my Huawei watch 2 with the pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its like a Moto 360 that took a lot of steroids. Mad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Samsung watches with cashback and free duo charger at HN

https://www.harveynorman.ie/connected-health/wearables/samsung-galaxy-watch-black.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Picked up 42mm watch with free duo charger on Amazon before Xmas for €230 which included €55 cash back.

Main reason was for Spotify and running.

Spotify is not working with watch 100% now.
    It won't allow remote control of the app , which is one of the main features.
    Spotify have said they do not no when fix will be or if they will fix it.

Advertisement