Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ryan Lee

Gear S3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

So I picked up the S3 Frontier, got 48 hours out of the battery with heavy useage since its brand new, but just wondering has anyone had to have a battery replaced and where did they get it done? Also what's the life expectancy of these devises?

Argos seems to be the cheapest place to buy the watch FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

PLOPS wrote: »
    So I picked up the S3 Frontier, got 48 hours out of the battery with heavy useage since its brand new, but just wondering has anyone had to have a battery replaced and where did they get it done? Also what's the life expectancy of these devises?

Argos seems to be the cheapest place to buy the watch FYI.

I was getting 2-3 days from mine with no problems up to recently (watch 2 years old now). I've ended up getting spare chargers for the car and for work now too so I can just keep topping it up and not taking it off every 3rd night, but I'd say that'll shorten its lifespan from this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Patww79 wrote:
    I was getting 2-3 days from mine with no problems up to recently (watch 2 years old now). I've ended up getting spare chargers for the car and for work now too so I can just keep topping it up and not taking it off every 3rd night, but I'd say that'll shorten its lifespan from this point.

Yeah I can see that being an option for me eventually, but if I could get the battery replaced and it was a decent battery I'd pay for it. I know the watch won't last forever like a traditional watch. Would you recommend a screen protector?

PLOPS wrote: »
    Yeah I can see that being an option for me eventually, but if I could get the battery replaced and it was a decent battery I'd pay for it. I know the watch won't last forever like a traditional watch. Would you recommend a screen protector?

Yeah. I put one on mine early in play and I've broken two of them so far. I never knew how much I got my wrist off stuff til I started wearing a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I have only read through the last couple of pages so I'm sorry if this is answered already.

I have a Samsung A5 and looking at the Galaxy watch for running mainly. Is it any good? Worth the money? Are there good alternative brands that work with that phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey guys looking for a bit of advice, I have an LG watch urbane for the last 18 months but I lost the charger on holidays last week.
    I was gonna just buy another charger on eBay but I spotted this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8649085.htm fossil Q gen 3 on offer today in Argos?
    Has anyone used this fossil and is it a good price or would my lg watch urbane be just as good if I just get a new charger?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

tina1040 wrote: »
    I have only read through the last couple of pages so I'm sorry if this is answered already.

I have a Samsung A5 and looking at the Galaxy watch for running mainly. Is it any good? Worth the money? Are there good alternative brands that work with that phone?

If you're looking for a watch for running I'd advise going garmin instead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Are any of these watches good for weight training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

So im guessing from the silence that no one has had first hand experience with the fossil q gen 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Raoul wrote: »
    Are any of these watches good for weight training?

Any watch that has Wear OS can install Google Fit which is great I find. The workout tracker can automatically detect the exercise you are doing(squats, bicep curls, etc...) and count the reps and sets. If there is a heart rate monitor it will check that also and amount of calories burned etc..

Actually, is there anywhere I wonder online where it lists all the exercises it can detect? Be interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

So im guessing from the silence that no one has had first hand experience with the fossil q gen 3?

I've been looking at the newer Q4. Slightly more expensive but it has the most up-to-date Wear OS processor. It should make the watch quicker and will future proof it for a little longer. Its one of the few watches to adopt the newer Snapdragon 3100 processor.

In other news the next generation Ticwatches have been announced. Both watches are waterproof and suitable for ocean swimming. Supposedly they've better fitness tracking capabilities, built-in GPS and the S2 has a housing of military-grade strength, suitable for all types of outdoor activities.

They're still tied to the Snapdragon 2100 however. I've heard very mixed reviews about the original Ticwatch E - supposedly there's been some serious battery issues. Looks like they'll be out in early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Notorious wrote: »
    I've been looking at the newer Q4. Slightly more expensive but it has the most up-to-date Wear OS processor. It should make the watch quicker and will future proof it for a little longer. Its one of the few watches to adopt the newer Snapdragon 3100 processor.

All the Gen 4 watches run on the 2100 only the Fossil sport runs 3100 but 3100 isn't that big an improvement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Careful now. The 3100 isn't really an improvement. I'd love it if it were but unfortunately its a half measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

ED E wrote: »
    Careful now. The 3100 isn't really an improvement. I'd love it if it were but unfortunately its a half measure.

Ah, my mistake. The 2100 is about 4 or 5 years old at this stage so I assumed huge gains with the 3100. Seems like that isn't the case! I'm still in the market for an Android smartwatch and I'm really struggling to pick a model that would compare to the Apple Watch.

To go with Wear OS or not to go with Wear OS? That is the question.

In other news the next generation Ticwatches have been announced. Both watches are waterproof and suitable for ocean swimming. Supposedly they've better fitness tracking capabilities, built-in GPS and the S2 has a housing of military-grade strength, suitable for all types of outdoor activities.

They're still tied to the Snapdragon 2100 however. I've heard very mixed reviews about the original Ticwatch E - supposedly there's been some serious battery issues. Looks like they'll be out in early February.

I had the Ticwatch Pro and had to return it. So slow and laggy, my Samsung Gear S2 is a dream to use compared to it.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I had the Ticwatch Pro and had to return it. So slow and laggy, my Samsung Gear S2 is a dream to use compared to it.

I did a swap recently to try out a Huawei Watch 2 and it was glacial coming from a Gear. I know there's no app support but Tizen will do 99% of what most people need and there's no comparison in performance.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I did a swap recently to try out a Huawei Watch 2 and it was glacial coming from a Gear. I know there's no app support but Tizen will do 99% of what most people need and there's no comparison in performance.

What I liked about the Ticwatch was being able to use Google Pay, and having a Google play playlist on my watch so I could go for a run without needing my phone as well.

Since then, I've discovered an app that syncs a Google play playlist to my Tizen Gear S2.

Oh, another benefit is that I used Endomondo for my running on the Gear S2, and the makers have decided not to support Wear OS 2.0, so it wasn't available on the Ticwatch. Always 2 steps forward, one step back with these smart devices. I'm yet to find one that is perfect for me.

What I liked about the Ticwatch was being able to use Google Pay, and having a Google play playlist on my watch so I could go for a run without needing my phone as well.

Since then, I've discovered an app that syncs a Google play playlist to my Tizen Gear S2.

Oh, another benefit is that I used Endomondo for my running on the Gear S2, and the makers have decided not to support Wear OS 2.0, so it wasn't available on the Ticwatch. Always 2 steps forward, one step back with these smart devices. I'm yet to find one that is perfect for me.

What app is that out of interest? Spotify has a great app for Tizen and offline play is very good but I've recently switched over to Play Music because of YouTube premium.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What app is that out of interest? Spotify has a great app for Tizen and offline play is very good but I've recently switched over to Play Music because of YouTube premium.

It's called Music Mate. I think the licence costs €4 or €5.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sapien.android.musicmate

• Advertisement

It's called Music Mate. I think the licence costs €4 or €5.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sapien.android.musicmate

Nice one, cheers. You've never found anything to save a podcast on it have you?

Edit - actually, Spotify might be able to do that. I never tried.

It doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I enabled Google play on my watch yesterday, and usually it disables within 30 min or so. But it's still enabled on my Huawei watch 2! Hopefully it's now available to use in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm looking for a android smart watch that has a decent Vibration alarm. Multiple alarms, all with Snooze that repeats until cancelled. Also a countdown timer with snooze and vibration also.
    Preferably can be used for swimming. Something with longer battery life, and changeable watch faces. I like an analog face. if I can add alarms from the watch that would be ideal.
    Basically as it works on my android phone. Only my phone the vibe is weak and I don't always have it on me, or can feel it in a jack so constantly miss alarms on the phone.

Doesn't have to be the latest, something cheap would be great even if means looking at 2nd hand. Doesn't need any other features, fitness apps etc.

I realise I might be better switching phone, my old Moto G had a great vibration. Most other phones I've had are pretty weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ah, my mistake. The 2100 is about 4 or 5 years old at this stage so I assumed huge gains with the 3100. Seems like that isn't the case! I'm still in the market for an Android smartwatch and I'm really struggling to pick a model that would compare to the Apple Watch.

To go with Wear OS or not to go with Wear OS? That is the question.

IMO Wear OS is the only game in town.

Really though Apple are showing Qualcomm up. Would be nice if HiSilicon or MTK managed to pull a killer low power SoC out of the bag but I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Anyone have issues with step count on Galaxy gear sport? Only noticed it stopped counting steps in the last two days. Current count at 1500 when it would be 6000+

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Carroller wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with step count on Galaxy gear sport? Only noticed it stopped counting steps in the last two days. Current count at 1500 when it would be 6000+

Does it stop at exactly 1500? If not it might be that the watch is too loose on your arm. I found that when I have it tighter it counts steps better/more consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does it stop at exactly 1500? If not it might be that the watch is too loose on your arm. I found that when I have it tighter it counts steps better/more consistently.

No it just doesn't count all my steps correctly. To test it I downloaded a pedometer on my phone. 500 steps on that compared to less than 100 on the watch. I thought it might be to do with the watch face but even stock watch face is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone got any help? Looking for an android watch that isn't too big (small wrists :() and can do the following:
    Google Pay (I know it isn't working in Ireland yet but I'm sure it will).
    Good for weight training (someone said earlier that any with google fit is good).
    Has a continuous HR monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Raoul wrote: »
    Anyone got any help? Looking for an android watch that isn't too big (small wrists :() and can do the following:
    Google Pay (I know it isn't working in Ireland yet but I'm sure it will).
    Good for weight training (someone said earlier that any with google fit is good).
    Has a continuous HR monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I have the Huawei watch 2 and it does all the above

Advertisement