Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have the Huawei watch 2 and it does all the above

It is pretty big though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Raoul wrote: »
    It is pretty big though?

I have tiny wrists and it's fine, big but not too big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Raoul wrote: »
    Anyone got any help? Looking for an android watch that isn't too big (small wrists :() and can do the following:
    Google Pay (I know it isn't working in Ireland yet but I'm sure it will).
    Good for weight training (someone said earlier that any with google fit is good).
    Has a continuous HR monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The Ticwatch Pro will do the above on a budget, but reviews of the watch have not been stellar. A friend of mine has one, and says Wear OS is the business when it comes to tracking weights. He says that it's even accurate when telling him what free weight exercise he's doing.

Notorious wrote: »
    The Ticwatch Pro will do the above on a budget, but reviews of the watch have not been stellar. A friend of mine has one, and says Wear OS is the business when it comes to tracking weights. He says that it's even accurate when telling him what free weight exercise he's doing.

Terrible laggy POS. Returned mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Huawei watch 2 is your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

Hi all, sorry if this is repetitive but I am a first time smartwatch owner and after reading 41 pages I am thoroughly confused...

I want a smartwatch primarily for:
    1. Running (so GPS)
    2. Weight training
    3. Spotify
    4. A nice watch - one I can wear at work with a round face etc.

I am female and have tiny wrists - my current watch is 39mm and that's prob as big as I could go without looking stupid.

Thinking about the Garmin VivoActive 3 Music - would you guys think this is the best option for me? The cheaper the better but also want bang for my buck. TY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Joekers

Have the Samsung Watch but looking for a bit of help in mapping my location.

Whenever I select a workout on the watch when I finish it will show me all details but dosent show me on the Samsung health app the mapping location of the area I covered, where as when I select the workout through the phone at the end it will give me all the details aswell as the map area I covered.

Is there anyway to get this by just using the watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Joekers wrote: »
    Have the Samsung Watch but looking for a bit of help in mapping my location.

Whenever I select a workout on the watch when I finish it will show me all details but dosent show me on the Samsung health app the mapping location of the area I covered, where as when I select the workout through the phone at the end it will give me all the details aswell as the map area I covered.

Is there anyway to get this by just using the watch?

Download the Strava app and use that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tizen 4.0 finally arrives for the S3/Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rumours of Google watch coming out alongside pixel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So I got a Pixel 3 today, and restarted my LG Urbane so I could connect it with the new phone. Connected fine, but the watch has gone back to a previous version of Wear OS. Any idea how I can fix that? I've opened system settings on the watch and it says there are no updates available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Tizen 4.0 finally arrives for the S3/Sport.

Confirm version 4.
    Still searching for the differences... anything nicer !?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hi, just a quick question.

I am looking at buying the Huawei watch 2 today, will this support nfc payment from an AIB account?

Would I be better off going for the gear s3 frontier for around the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Smart watches are so last month..
    It's all about smart rings now!

www.motivring.com
    www.ouraring.com

rolion wrote: »
    Confirm version 4.
    Still searching for the differences... anything nicer !?
    Thanks

Main benefit I've seen is the automatic night mode/sleep mode or whatever they call it. Maybe it was there already, and I just didn't notice :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Main benefit I've seen is the automatic night mode/sleep mode or whatever they call it. Maybe it was there already, and I just didn't notice :D

It's new, and it and the theatre mode are all I've noticed apart from a few aesthetic changes (like the power-off menu).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I am looking at buying the Huawei watch 2 today, will this support nfc payment from an AIB account?

Yes AIB support Google pay.

Samsung pay doesn't work in Ireland so if that's a feature you need you're better off with the Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just to be aware Google Pay from smartwatch isn't officially supported in Ireland. There are work arounds but just so you know.

https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/7643998?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just to be aware Google Pay from smartwatch isn't officially supported in Ireland. There are work arounds but just so you know.

https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/7643998?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Yup, and after using an android wear watch for a couple of weeks, I realised the benefit of being able to pay with my watch is negligible. I'm happy to keep paying with my phone.

I always had to plan ahead for when I was going to pay, by activating pay enabler, which was a bit annoying.

Yup, and after using an android wear watch for a couple of weeks, I realised the benefit of being able to pay with my watch is negligible. I'm happy to keep paying with my phone.

I always had to plan ahead for when I was going to pay, by activating pay enabler, which was a bit annoying.

Was reading a bit about that NFC ring today. Wonder anybody on here using it?

https://mclear.com/product/payment-ring/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My phone doesn't have NFC, is that an issue with using the watch for payments?

Yes, that's one of the main reasons to avoid Xiaomi phones.

Edit: sorry, didn't read your question correctly. The only issue might be authorising the device with the bank, but it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I doubt it, once the watch supports it...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Is there any watch that can operate without the phone and can receive and make calls?

There doesn't seem to be any companion Sims used in Ireland.

I have the Samsung watch but would like ability to use the 4g version of it without the phone also having to be in Bluetooth range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Hi all, very tempted to jump ship from Apple after the S10 announcement, have an Apple Watch S1. Any recommendations for a good android smartwatch similar enough to the AW? Budget would be around 150. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Shn99 wrote: »
    Hi all, very tempted to jump ship from Apple after the S10 announcement, have an Apple Watch S1. Any recommendations for a good android smartwatch similar enough to the AW? Budget would be around 150. Thanks

I bought the Samsung Gear Frontier in DID a few weeks back for €209. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Shn99 wrote: »

This post will probably get shot down, but I'm yet to find a smart watch that compares to the AW. I still wear my S2 watch even though I'm on an Android since November. In my opinion, it's the one market that Apple is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

I've found that very few watches use Google pay effectively, and the watches that can use NFC payments are only supported by a handful of banks. The Samsung watches operate on their own OS which seems quite limited. There seems to be another issue with the architecture of android watches, with the chipset being fairly dated leading to lag on some products.

Again this is only my opinion after trying a handful of watches and not finding a suitable replacement. I've decided to buy a cheap Ticwatch (again, their flaws are well documented), which I'll replace when a watch that suits my needs appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

This post will probably get shot down, but I'm yet to find a smart watch that compares to the AW. I still wear my S2 watch even though I'm on an Android since November. In my opinion, it's the one market that Apple is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

It's pretty much accepted at this point tbh.

Fair enough if you don't like the looks but the Apple watch is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

How does the watch work without an iPhone, can you still use Apple pay ect ?

I wouldn't care what it done or what features it had, there's not a chance I'd wear a rectangular watch.

• Advertisement

I've found that very few watches use Google pay effectively, and the watches that can use NFC payments are only supported by a handful of banks. The Samsung watches operate on their own OS which seems quite limited. There seems to be another issue with the architecture of android watches, with the chipset being fairly dated leading to lag on some products.

Again this is only my opinion after trying a handful of watches and not finding a suitable replacement. I've decided to buy a cheap Ticwatch (again, their flaws are well documented), which I'll replace when a watch that suits my needs appears.

It's not supported on a smartwatch in Ireland.

Advertisement