Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

beno619 wrote: »
    It's pretty much accepted at this point tbh.

Fair enough if you don't like the looks but the Apple watch is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

How does the watch work without an iPhone, can you still use Apple pay ect ?

Apple Pay works perfectly and I pick up weather notifications whenever I'm in a WiFi zone that I'd connected to on my iPhone (so work and home are covered). Exercises can be tracked, but you don't get a full view of the data without the phone. I'm only using it as I haven't another watch at the moment. I got a Pebble Time working with Rebble, but I found it hard to switch back to the e-ink screen.

I didn't realise there was such a hatred from non-circular shaped watches! It's not something I've even considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's not supported on a smartwatch in Ireland.

Google pay isn't accepted on a smart watch ? How exactly

listermint wrote: »
    Google pay isn't accepted on a smart watch ? How exactly

It's not fully supported. Every time you use it from a Wear OS watch, it has to be enabled. Unlike on an Android phone.

For the non-Wear OS watches, the support from banks for NFC payments is limited (for Garmin and Fitbit watches).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads quick question, the Galaxy Watch Active is down to £145 on eGlobal. I'm about to pull the trigger but can anyone confirm that you can download Spotify playlists to the watch? It'd be really handy to leave the phone at home and connect my headphones directly to the watch when in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

As per title, however if I go into contacts there is messages there which I can send. Also I can’t read historic messages on the watch that are on the phone.
    Any ideas? Phone is a Vodafone but the problem is with the watch.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lads quick question, the Galaxy Watch Active is down to £145 on eGlobal. I'm about to pull the trigger but can anyone confirm that you can download Spotify playlists to the watch? It'd be really handy to leave the phone at home and connect my headphones directly to the watch when in the gym.

yes.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-watch-active,review-6254.html

4gb internal storage.

another option is this

https://bemighty.com/products/mighty-vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Question for anyone with the Fossil Explorist HR Gen 4 model.

Do you know where to get spare charger cables? I can only find them on the fossil american site.

I have email Fossil and waiting a response but I'm curious if there is anywhere that makes their own version of it.

Appreciate it if anyone knows, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    Picked up a brand new Amazfit Pace on Adverts there for 70 quid. I'm having trouble connecting to my phone, it won't pair at all ? I've downloaded the app, read the QR code, clicked pair on the phone and the green tick on watch and after a minute it says cannot pair. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice. Any ideas?

Phone is a Honor 10. Thanks

Edit, After a bit more research, I had to use a phone under Android 8.0 in order to connect to watch. Connected with an old work phone. Works now :)

Almost 4 months later and in daily use, I get around 4-5 days battery life. Absolutely love this watch, be lost without it. Highly recommended, great for runs, can leave the phone at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I can get the P30 pro for €399 or the S10+ for €499, which would you choose?

I am torn between the two to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

P30 Pro for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd go with the Samsung. When nearly every review of the P30 Pro is saying it's good "despite the software" then that's a red flag to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I have P30 Pro, and the camera is mindblowing in my humble opinion

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I have P30 Pro, and the camera is mindblowing in my humble opinion

From what I've read, I'd buy it as a camera but it would be an expensive camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Bit off topic lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Jester232

Anyone buy a Xiaomi smartwatch? Hard to know what's the latest model..

Is this website listing them in order of latest when you hover over products? http://en.amazfit.com/bip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Jester232 wrote:
    Anyone buy a Xiaomi smartwatch? Hard to know what's the latest model..

I have the amazefit stratos. Great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I have an amazefit Stratos for sale at the moment. Great watch that I used without much issue for over a year. Only selling as my wife got me a Garmin for our anniversary. Watch is on adverts if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I got a Huwaei SW2 today. Lovely device but I cant search for any apps on it? Have done a disconnect and reset twice. Watch is updated and Play Store and Wear OS apps are up to date. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

johnybean wrote: »
    I have an amazefit Stratos for sale at the moment. Great watch that I used without much issue for over a year. Only selling as my wife got me a Garmin for our anniversary. Watch is on adverts if you are interested.

I presume it's sold? I didn't find it when I searched

So I've read back 6 months worth of posts and was all set to get the Huawei watch when I realised it's not waterproof (I swim a good bit). The workaround for NFC didn't bother me

Then I was looking at the stratos, but that doesn't have NFC but it is waterproof

While NFC is a "would like" more than a must have (my phone doesn't have it)

Are there any watches out there that can do both? The fossil gets bad reviews for battery.

200eur was my absolute limit and if I can cheaper even better

(I still want the fitness stuff HR tracking etc) but if I could get NFC too I'd like it but If I've to drop it so be it

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

ImARebel wrote: »
    So I've read back 6 months worth of posts and was all set to get the Huawei watch when I realised it's not waterproof (I swim a good bit). The workaround for NFC didn't bother me

Then I was looking at the stratos, but that doesn't have NFC but it is waterproof

While NFC is a "would like" more than a must have (my phone doesn't have it)

Are there any watches out there that can do both? The fossil gets bad reviews for battery.

200eur was my absolute limit and if I can cheaper even better

(I still want the fitness stuff HR tracking etc) but if I could get NFC too I'd like it but If I've to drop it so be it

Any recommendations?

The Galaxy Watch Active has NFC, tracking, and you can swim with it, though the NFC is pointless as it's for Samsung Pay while we'll never have in Ireland.

Any recommendations?

I was in a similar position when I switched over to Android. I couldn't find a watch that did it all. I settled for the Ticwatch S2 which is waterproof but doesn't have NFC. Two months later and I'm delighted. The watch didn't break the bank, has a battery that lasts two days, and is waterproof.

The Galaxy Watch Active has NFC, tracking, and you can swim with it, though the NFC is pointless as it's for Samsung Pay while we'll never have in Ireland.

And does it matte that I don't have a Samsung phone?

Notorious wrote: »
    I was in a similar position when I switched over to Android. I couldn't find a watch that did it all. I settled for the Ticwatch S2 which is waterproof but doesn't have NFC. Two months later and I'm delighted. The watch didn't break the bank, has a battery that lasts two days, and is waterproof.

Thanks I'll give it a look. I was starting to lean towards the amazfit as it's waterproof. Suppose I've never had NFC I can continue to live without it

And does it matte that I don't have a Samsung phone?

Nope they work with any Android phone or an iPhone, though obviously there's limitations using with iOS. We both use our Samsung watches with Pixel phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks I'll give it a look. I was starting to lean towards the amazfit as it's waterproof. Suppose I've never had NFC I can continue to live without it

Google pay with tap is too handy, I'd hold out.

Couldn't go back to having no NFC on a device. Forgot bank cards I don't know how many times but had phone . Tap done

listermint wrote: »
    Google pay with tap is too handy, I'd hold out.

Couldn't go back to having no NFC on a device. Forgot bank cards I don't know how many times but had phone . Tap done

Funny you should say that. Sitting in the local take away tenner in the bank and tenner in my pocket. Card is at home ..now I've to spend the tenner in my pocket needed it for work tomorrow

Oh to have NFC right about now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I keep coming back to the Amazfit Stratos too but the reviews on the screen quality are quite negative. It also looks a tad clunky.

I'd probably go for the Fossil Sport or Fossil Gen 4 but the battery seems to be just a day... which is fine except when I travel and then I need to bring ANOTHER charger with me to charge my watch. Either of those watches with 4-5 days (under normal usage, no GPS) would be ideal for me. It's very hard to find something that ticks all the boxes (for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not sure Google are too bothered about Wear OS. Seem to be very slow with adding any features or updates. Apple Watch has such a dominant product in the wearable area that I wonder if Google are really trying to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Google are too bothered about Wear OS. Seem to be very slow with adding any features or updates. Apple Watch has such a dominant product in the wearable area that I wonder if Google are really trying to compete.

Rumours of a Pixel smartwatch sometime this year.

Advertisement