Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Ush1 wrote: »
    Looks very similar to the Apple watch.

Another example of their creativity and originality...not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Ush1 wrote:
    Xiaomi have released a teaser image for a smart watch being announced November 5th. Looks very similar to the Apple watch. Rumoured to have Wear OS.

Warning, I was a fanboy of the Stratos Amazfit 2 by Xiaomi, and in many ways it's still a great watch, but.....
    They changed the app during the summer and it wouldn't link to the Stratos anymore. Lot's of talk online about it, some people had mixed success with hard resetting the watch, but with continuous problems, loss of function etc. They updated the app again a few times over the next few months but failed to actually fix the issue.
    I rolled back my app to an older reliable version by downloading an APK, so my watch/app still works, but I've to constantly ignore update warnings etc.
    For some reason the watch is also not receiving notifications from the phone, but this doesn't bother me.
    There has been zero support from the manufacturer, and the reviews on Google Play store are very negative.
    Based on all this I would advise anyone to steer clear from this brand until they get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

Hi There,

I am looking for advice on what smartwatch to get. I am looking for something basic enough but I would like it to get notifications from apps such as Flashscore etc so that the football scores will show up directly on my watch.

Can anyone recommend a cheap enough smartwatch that would do this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey guys,
    Is £150 a good price for the Ticwatch Pro

Wondering will it come any cheaper in black friday sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Hey guys,

I would imagine Fossil and TicWatch will be looking to clear their stocks during Black Friday and the new years sales. There will be a fleet of new Wear watches coming out next year using a new Snapdragon Wear SOC so if you want a bargain, the current watches will be coming down in price over the next few months.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Had a Ticwatch Pro. Returned it. Laggy as anything, unbearable to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Basil3 wrote: »

Yikes. Good feedback. What did you get instead?

Yikes. Good feedback. What did you get instead?

Sammy Gear S3 Frontier. Got it for around €200 a year or so ago. Only advantage the Ticwatch had was Android Pay, but even that was a pain in the hole since it always had to be enabled to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have a Ticwatch E and was laggy but when I disabled all the Ticwatch bloat it's very responsive. Battery better also.

I have a Ticwatch E and was laggy but when I disabled all the Ticwatch bloat it's very responsive. Battery better also.

I even found stuff like how long it took for the display to turn on when you looked at the watch extremely frustrating. I would usually take the time to improve things by tinkering around, but the out-of-the-box experience was just too bad for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

New Xiaomi Mi Watch looks nice for €175 - https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/05/xiaomi-smartwatch-launch/

New Moto 360 also looks great but more like €350 - https://www.talkandroid.com/345934-hands-on-new-moto-360/ / https://moto360.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi, I have the pro and notice it getting leggy, especially when I get a call the name of the caller never comes up only the red and green phone symbols, also the cloud with the line through it is constantly on the screen.
    Where do I disable the bloat?
    Thanks

I even found stuff like how long it took for the display to turn on when you looked at the watch extremely frustrating. I would usually take the time to improve things by tinkering around, but the out-of-the-box experience was just too bad for me.

Yeah it's not the best but I actually have always on screen as I charge each night.

Hi, I have the pro and notice it getting leggy, especially when I get a call the name of the caller never comes up only the red and green phone symbols, also the cloud with the line through it is constantly on the screen.
    Where do I disable the bloat?
    Thanks

https://forum.mobvoi.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=54008

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Daveq

Anyone have an Active 2 yet? Any opinions? I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas in 44mm.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im in the market for a decent android watch

is there one on the market that fulfills the below criteria?

1. has NFC for pay (even through revolute)
    2. has storage for music in order to use while jogging without having to bring phone
    3. looks good and not "techy" ie i like the fossil designs
    4. has decent battery ie one that wont need recharging in less than 24 hours in a years time.
    5. doesnt necessarily need wearOS but should be decent at offering notifications, and if necessary, responding to same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

sydthebeat wrote: »

2. has storage for music in order to use while jogging without having to bring phone
    4. has decent battery ie one that wont need recharging in less than 24 hours in a years time.
    5. doesnt necessarily need wearOS but should be decent at offering notifications, and if necessary, responding to same
    Not Android but the Fitbit Versa 2 seems to tick most of those boxes.

Once again, not Android, but Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music/Vivoactive 4/Venu could be options? More towards the fitness side of things (which most Android Wear watches are terrible at in comparison), with battery lasting up to a week, and I believe Garmin Pay works with Revolut. Also syncs music with Spotify/Deezer/Amazon Prime Music.

flazio wrote: »
    Not Android but the Fitbit Versa 2 seems to tick most of those boxes.

Only major downside to this is that it doesn't have GPS, so it depends if you want to track your runs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Samsung Gear Sport.

1. Supports Samsung Pay
    2. Can store music (you have to do it manually though, you can't sync from Spotify or Google Music)
    3. I like the design at least. It's quite a subtle style.
    4. Under normal use I get 2 days from it. Obviously that drops if I'm using the GPS.
    5. Integrates with most the messaging/notification apps on my phone. WhatsApp for example lets you do a quick reply from a selection of options.

It's not android (wearOS) but I found it hard to find good wearOS watch TBH.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads

The garmin vivoactive 3 music seems to be the best suited to my requirements.
    i dont need the mainly fitness features of the vivo 4 and venu.

does garmin pay work with revolut in ireland?

and im slightly worried about its batter life... 160 mAh is nothing really.

the fitbit versa 2 not having GPS is a major negative, plus it looks terrible too.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Samsung Gear Sport.

1. Supports Samsung Pay
    2. Can store music (you have to do it manually though, you can't sync from Spotify or Google Music)
    4. Under normal use I get 2 days from it. Obviously that drops if I'm using the GPS.
    5. Integrates with most the messaging/notification apps on my phone. WhatsApp for example lets you do a quick reply from a selection of options.

thanks bacchus

does samsung pay work with any card?

no problem manually changing music, and the 300 mAhs is twice the garmin

i see the active 2 is out with slightly better battery too.

is the amazefit verge an option?

is there a way of making the NFC work in ireland?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Samsung Gear Sport.

1. Supports Samsung Pay

You have Samsung Pay working in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Samsung pay doesn’t work in Ireland, got the Samsung gear s3 and it’s not supported over here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have the Skagen Falster 3, it meets 1-4 and looks nice than the Fossils imo

jester77 wrote: »
    I have the Skagen Falster 3, it meets 1-4 and looks nice than the Fossils imo

thanks for that

looks good yes, how are you finding the battery life??

can you mode it down so you get 48 hours out of it if necessary?

and any issue with google pay?

and just looking at the fossil gen 5 now... that could be a winner !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

thanks for that

looks good yes, how are you finding the battery life??

can you mode it down so you get 48 hours out of it if necessary?

and any issue with google pay?

and just looking at the fossil gen 5 now... that could be a winner !

I have everything turned on, except tilt to wake. That feature annoys me. I am not a heavy user user it mainly for Google payments, notes for shopping list and checking calendar. Gets around 40 hours on a charge. It has custom battery modes where you can turn off features, mine comes in at 10%.

No issues with Google pay, I have my top button set for that. Just click the button and hold close to the device, even works through a shirt.

It's the exact same hardware as the Fossil gen 5, just a different design and made by Fossil.

No issues with Google pay, I have my top button set for that. Just click the button and hold close to the device, even works through a shirt.

Do you have to use the pay enabler app?

• Advertisement

I have everything turned on, except tilt to wake. That feature annoys me. I am not a heavy user user it mainly for Google payments, notes for shopping list and checking calendar. Gets around 40 hours on a charge. It has custom battery modes where you can turn off features, mine comes in at 10%.

It's the exact same hardware as the Fossil gen 5, just a different design and made by Fossil.

Are you in Ireland?

Advertisement