Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

glasso wrote: »
    Do you have to use the pay enabler app?

Had to look up what that is, didn't realise pay on wear os was blocked in some countries.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland?

I'm in Germany, works here as nothing is blocked. Wasn't aware that there were restrictions in some places.

I've no experience with pay enabler, so don't know how that would work or if it would work.

Another thing, PayPal doesn't work through Google pay on wear os, even if you have it working for accounts on your phone.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So I'm confused as to the situation with NFC paying through smart watches in Ireland.

Can anyone give me a synopsis please.

Is it officially not possible without some kind of work around?
    Does it depend on the card or account its linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So I'm confused as to the situation with NFC paying through smart watches in Ireland.

It doesn't work on Wear OS in Ireland as Ireland is not a supported country.

Some people have had various workarounds like uninstalling updates and blocking them reinstalling and pay enabler but it has never worked on my Fossil Sport.

Usual Google nonsense with international roll outs.

Ush1 wrote: »
    It doesn't work on Wear OS in Ireland as Ireland is not a supported country.

Some people have had various workarounds like uninstalling updates and blocking them reinstalling and pay enabler but it has never worked on my Fossil Sport.

Usual Google nonsense with international roll outs.

Thanks ush1,
    So is apple watch the only wearable that's works NFC payments in Ireland, without a workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks ush1,
    So is apple watch the only wearable that's works NFC payments in Ireland, without a workaround?

I can only really comment on Wear OS, not so familiar with the others but I think I've heard maybe Garmin Pay works with Garmin devices? Don't take my word for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

works for Apple, Garmin and Samsung who have their own proprietary payment systems

Wear OS watches don't work in Ireland despite google pay being functional on Android phones..

Reason? Fu*k knows. It's something I simply don't understand. The Wear OS product manager at Google must be a lazy fu*ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can only speak for my Fitbit Versa, I've Revolut set up on the watch and I've been able to use it no hassle.

flazio wrote: »
    I can only speak for my Fitbit Versa, I've Revolut set up on the watch and I've been able to use it no hassle.

And fine with revolut visa, or did you have to get a mastercard?

Thanks ush1,

My previous Android Wear device (Ticwatch Pro) did work with Pay Enabler, but it doesn't work at all on my Fossil Sport.

Fitbit payments are supported by some banks, I'm sure I've seen it advertised with AIB.

I'm hoping Garmin Pay works, even if it's with Revolut, as I'm planning on going back to a Garmin for my running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Thanks ush1,

no,

My wife had the Fitbit charge 3 with fitbit pay and used that all the time too with her revolut card, she got the card specifically for the watch and it was simple to set up and use.

transferred funds from her Irish bank to her revolut weekly and used her watch to pay for everything, it was a great way of budgeting too.

if you have a Samsung watch i have heard you can use some prepaid visa cards with it to get Samsung pay to work but i haven't had the chance to try that out yet (due to Covid) as one of the companies cards mentioned to work is also a card used as a gift-card by our local shopping centre,

so it'd be a case of purchase a gift card -> use those funds from watch, but thats not verified by myself yet.

• Advertisement

i think ill forego the NFC payment requirement for now, until theres better choice on the market.

so in the meantime ive pulled the trigger on the Honor Magic Watch 2 46mm, with leather strap, for €148.

im very happy with the battery life of 14 days, 4GB storage and especially the microphone and speaker that will allow hands free when necessary.

And fine with revolut visa, or did you have to get a mastercard?

At first it looked like it only worked with premium cards but it's now working with my standard visa number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anybody using the Galaxy watch? Either 42/46mm ones. How do you find them? Looking at the vivoactive 4 Vs the galaxy watch, think the galaxy watch is more techy and less sporty which suits me as I'm coming from a wearos device and just want to try a new ecosystem!

The galaxy watch was out in 2018 though which concerns me a bit but how do you find it still?
    Edit: and now I've just seen the watch active 2. Too many decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I dont have the galaxy watch but have the Gear sport about 3 years and really like it.Only downside for me is the battery life.

FYI ,there is rumoured to be a new Samsung/Galaxy watch launching this year so may be worth holding out a bit longer to see whats announced. Iirc an announcement is expected August.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I dont have the galaxy watch but have the Gear sport about 3 years and really like it.Only downside for me is the battery life.

FYI ,there is rumoured to be a new Samsung/Galaxy watch launching this year so may be worth holding out a bit longer to see whats announced. Iirc an announcement is expected August.

Yeah I read that! Bad timing, parents want to get me a new one for by birthday in a few days time because i've been using my LG Watch urbane since it came out :(

The bezel is really drawing me towards the galaxy watch 46mm, just hope they keep updating it etc. The watch active 2 is very sleek and stylish too though. Good to know about the gear s3 though, the tizen software does seem more streamlined then the garmin one.

Yeah I read that! Bad timing, parents want to get me a new one for by birthday in a few days time because i've been using my LG Watch urbane since it came out :(

The bezel is really drawing me towards the galaxy watch 46mm, just hope they keep updating it etc. The watch active 2 is very sleek and stylish too though. Good to know about the gear s3 though, the tizen software does seem more streamlined then the garmin one.

I have a Gear S3 Frontier and Vivoactive 4. My 2c on why to choose one over the other:

Samsung:
    Much nicer screen
    Nicer UI
    More apps
    Rotating bezel is soooo satisfying to use

Garmin:
    Better battery life
    Better for fitness, especially running/cycling
    Better sleep tracking + Pulse Ox
    Can use for payments via Garmin Pay

I like them both, tbh.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I have a Gear S3 Frontier and Vivoactive 4. My 2c on why to choose one over the other:

Samsung:
    Much nicer screen
    Nicer UI
    More apps
    Rotating bezel is soooo satisfying to use

Garmin:
    Better battery life
    Better for fitness, especially running/cycling
    Better sleep tracking + Pulse Ox
    Can use for payments via Garmin Pay

I like them both, tbh.

Yeah, think im leaning towards the samsung ones! Not the biggest fitness fanatic so probably makes more sense.

Oh don't even start about the bezel, i wass just clicking it in the shop for about half an hour! But it seems to make more sense to get the active 2, newer software, bit more features, lighter and more ergonomic. No satisfying bezel click and a slightly smaller battery but seems the advantages are greater then the cons!

Thanks a mill for your help!

Ended up going with the galaxy watch active 2! Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Ended up going with the galaxy watch active 2! Thanks guys :)

Good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Nice looking watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

yabadabado wrote: »
    Nice looking watch .

Yeah have been looking at this. Have had a fossil q founder 2.0 for years

Do Google still support and update the Wear platform? I got the impression that they've conceded to the likes of Fitbit, Samsung and Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

flazio wrote: »
    Do Google still support and update the Wear platform? I got the impression that they've conceded to the likes of Fitbit, Samsung and Apple.

Google own Fitbit so you will see them expand Wear os to absorb them

Yeah Google spent 2b buying Fitbit in November 2019 ,would hope that see them start to launch new products before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Amazon.es have the 42mm galaxy watch for 150 delivered at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Amazon.es have the 42mm galaxy watch for 150 delivered at the moment

Thanks. Looks like a good price but is it old and out of date. Looking for something that will sync with strava for when I am out on bike and last min of two days.

I could be wrong but the Galaxy watch may be old but its not out of date,I think the specs still stack up well against anything else available.
    Afaik it does link to Strava ,my Gear sport does and its older .

Id suspect the Galaxy watch is getting discounted now because a new Galaxy watch is rumoured to be very near release.Some sites saying it could be announced in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I have a Galaxy Watch and use Strava on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks. Looks like a good price but is it old and out of date. Looking for something that will sync with strava for when I am out on bike and last min of two days.

How is it is and out of date? I don't have one just completely confused about what's a good bang for buck and what's past it.

Advertisement