Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

rizzee wrote:
    Think i'm just going to get x3 MiBand 2's @ 17 euro each with free Expidited 3-7 day shipping from Gearbest.

Sorry for my ignorance, but to clarify, do these watches need to be constantly connected to your phone via Bluetooth or do they work Independently and then update to the app whenever you turn on your bluetooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sorry for my ignorance, but to clarify, do these watches need to be constantly connected to your phone via Bluetooth or do they work Independently and then update to the app whenever you turn on your bluetooth?

They connect to your phone using Bluetooth, but you can still connect your phone to other Bluetooth in your car etc. My Huawei watch 2 also has WiFi, it connects to my home WiFi when I'm at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Correct.

I never connect mine to my phone at all to be honest. I like having it as a stand-alone watch. It's pedometer/distance covered is accurate and it tells the time, that's all I need for my runs! In saying that, I would like to upgrade to a GPS watch in the future so I can map my runs via phone and laptop.

They connect to your phone using Bluetooth, but you can still connect your phone to other Bluetooth in your car etc. My Huawei watch 2 also has WiFi, it connects to my home WiFi when I'm at home

Yes thanks for that, but the question was does it still work if it is not connected to your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yes thanks for that, but the question was does it still work if it is not connected to your phone?

Yes, you just won't get notifications from the phone

• Advertisement

Yes, you just won't get notifications from the phone

Cheers... Thanks for that 😀

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would i be better off waiting to get the new Galaxy Watch, or is the S3 still worth it? It's €299 in Harvey Normans at the moment, and i'm very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Kiith wrote: »
    Would i be better off waiting to get the new Galaxy Watch, or is the S3 still worth it? It's €299 in Harvey Normans at the moment, and i'm very tempted.

Id wait and get the galaxy watch its only €40 more. If you pre order with DID they give you the dual wireless charger free. https://www.did.ie/samsung-galaxy-watch-1-3-silver-sm-r800nzsabt-sm-r800nzsabt-prd?cmp=cel&trigger=ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

For €40 extra I'd definitely go newer. Probably not worth the upgrade from an S3 to a GW but if you have neither then I wouldn't buy a two year old one at that money (plus they haven't said yet if the S3 will get Tizen 4.0).

I was tempted by the newer one, but i think i prefer the S3 Frontier. Maybe if i could see them both in person first.

I've never had a smartwatch, so no idea what to expect with it to be honest.

• Advertisement

I was tempted by the newer one, but i think i prefer the S3 Frontier. Maybe if i could see them both in person first.

I've never had a smartwatch, so no idea what to expect with it to be honest.

There are shag all apps for Tizen but if you just want fitness tracking and notifications then I'd definitely buy it over a Wear OS one.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Anyone any feedback on the Amazfit bip or Amazfit pace?

Or anything else out there worth consideration? Max spend 120eur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

€320/340 for the Galaxy watch on DID, seems like a very good price

Patww79 wrote: »
    There are shag all apps for Tizen but if you just want fitness tracking and notifications then I'd definitely buy it over a Wear OS one.

Yeah, the only non-standard thing i'd like to do with it is use it for golf. I don't think i can run that on the watch itself, but it can (i believe) be synced up to the phone which would be in my bag.

I also saw a Diesel watch, which i've been a fan of before. These are Wear OS, so i'm guessing they have much more functionality. I've heard the battery isn't anywhere near as good though.

https://ie.diesel.com/en/smartwatches/dt1009/DT100900QQQ.html?dwvar_DT100900QQQ_size=UNI&dwvar_DT100900QQQ_color=01

or

https://ie.diesel.com/en/smartwatches/dt1011/DT101100QQQ.html?dwvar_DT101100QQQ_color=01&dwvar_DT101100QQQ_size=UNI

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Gear S3 Frontier is 225€ on eglobal central. Very good price.

I always see one called Smart Caddie advertised on Galaxy Apps for my Gear S3 but I've never tried it.

kave2 wrote: »

Is that a legit site? Currently either going for the S3 or the Galaxy Watch, but at €220, i may have to go for that one.

Also, does Samsung Pay only work at certain places? Or will it work at any swipe pay machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Eglobal is a legit site.I've got a phone from them before and I think it's camera's or camera parts that a lot of people on here were buying from them.

There used to be a fairly large thread about them on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

kave2 wrote: »

Is that a legit site? Currently either going for the S3 or the Galaxy Watch, but at €220, i may have to go for that one.

Also, does Samsung Pay only work at certain places? Or will it work at any swipe pay machine?

Bought camera lens worth 500e from them 3 months ago. No issues whosoever, fast delivery.
    No idea about Samsung pay, using Android pay and it works perfect for me.

I will get Galaxy Watch, mainly because of battery life and better waterproofness (5atm). And the wireless charger due seems cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I'm looking at the galaxy watch on eglobal too. I'm fairly sure you can play Spotify offline through the watch. Any searching I do seems to say it has been added to it.

Any other, cheaper, watches which offer this?

• Advertisement

dedaw wrote: »
    I'm looking at the galaxy watch on eglobal too. I'm fairly sure you can play Spotify offline through the watch. Any searching I do seems to say it has been added to it.

Any other, cheaper, watches which offer this?

I've listened to offline Spotify music on my Gear S3 before so it should definitely still be a feature.

Ordered Galaxy watch off DID, got 10% off using coupon code FLASH. Not sure how long it lasts but it's 10% off everything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Ordered Galaxy watch off DID, got 10% off using coupon code FLASH. Not sure how long it lasts but it's 10% off everything:)

Just tried it, not working now :-(

Is anyone else not able to get onto the Galaxy Watch on DID now? I can search for it, but when i click it i get redirected to Samsung wearables, which only lists the S3.

Was gonna buy it this week :/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

Is anyone else not able to get onto the Galaxy Watch on DID now? I can search for it, but when i click it i get redirected to Samsung wearables, which only lists the S3.

Was gonna buy it this week :/

No can't get it either but Harvey Norman have the same offer.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/connected-health/wearables/samsung-galaxy-watch-silver.html

Sold out in DID apparently. They'll have them in after the release on the 7th. Will get it from Harvey Norman in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any display models of The Galaxy in shops to take a look at it ?

Sold out in DID apparently. They'll have them in after the release on the 7th. Will get it from Harvey Norman in that case.

Back listed on their website now
    https://www.did.ie/samsung-galaxy-watch-1-3-silver-sm-r800nzsabt-sm-r800nzsabt-prd

Looks like it won't be available right at launch though.
    DID wrote:
    Availability: Available Mid September Online Exclusive
    Harvey Normans say the end of September though, so might be better with DID.

• Advertisement

Apparently DID have "No confirmation on due date from Samsung as pre orders have stopped due to the huge amount"

It was supposed to be September 9th when I ordered.

Advertisement