Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed identity?

Options
  • 11-04-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Hi. Got a couple of weed plants near the driveway in the garden that I don't know the identity of. Any help learning what they are would be appreciated.

White flowered weed

Blue flowered weed

The white flowered one seems to be well able to grow on the driveway with no soil and the blue one seems happy to grow through the lawn.
    Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the blue one is veronica and the white one is some sort of brassica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

looksee wrote: »
    I think the blue one is veronica and the white one is some sort of brassica.

Looked at some pictures of veronica / speedwell and it looks to be the correct plant alright. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, I had to do a bit of checking - I think the white one is bittercress, and it is a (distant-ish) member of the brassica family. Its very common, t was bugging me a bit as having white flowers it doesn't really fit into the more usual yellow flowered brassicas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

looksee wrote: »
    Ah, I had to do a bit of checking - I think the white one is bittercress, and it is a (distant-ish) member of the brassica family. Its very common, t was bugging me a bit as having white flowers it doesn't really fit into the more usual yellow flowered brassicas.

It is someway like bittercress alright with similar white flowers. The leaves on the bittercress I'm familiar with are a bit more segmented however so its probably some sort of relative or variety of the bittercress I guess.
    Thanks again for checking.

Advertisement