Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk IO Driver Resource Use Driving Me Crazy...

Options
  • 11-04-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭

I have a decent gaming laptop, Win 10, everything up to date, it can handle most stuff without the fans being audible, however these days as soon as windows boots the fans and processor are going strong, loud enough to be annoying.

When I open task manager I see that "Disk IO Driver" is using 80% of resources, however the minute task manager starts this drops away to nothing and it disappears off down the list and everything calms down again. It doesn't seem to care what Chrome or any games are doing, its just task manager that makes it stop, to the point where I leave it open at all times just to shut it up (closing task manager will cause the behaviour to start up again...)

Ive Googled it but theres not much results for Disk IO Driver, nothing malicious anyway, its behaviour and the amount of resources its using make me suspicious about it being a miner or some other form of malware, the way it seems to hide when Task Manager opens, but Malwarebytes/Avast/Windows Defender cant find anything. Id usually just wipe it and reinstall but I have way too much work stuff and games on the go to start over at the minute to wipe it right now, anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TM having any impact screams malicious. System may be rootkitted, do an offline scan with something like Kaspersky Rescue Disk to bypass the infection self shielding.

Advertisement