Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas or Los Angeles

Options
  • 11-04-2018 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Have a work convention to go to this summer in Los Angeles for 3 days but we are staying for a week. So 4 days to either explore Los Angeles a bit more or take a trip to Vegas.

I've been in Vegas before but it was as a student about 15 years ago so I know its good craic. I'm mid 30s now and still a bit wild and into same craic I was as a student so I know Vegas will suit. I also know its seriously hot and thats fine.

I've never been to Los Angeles so I'm not sure what it would offer for an extra 4 days exploring. I'm sure we will have down times in work convention for the week too so we will be out and about in Los Angeles in the evenings for the first few days.

So, does LA have anything to offer to match Vegas for fun for about 5 guys out on their own? Usual craic, bit of drinking, bit of looking at things, I dont know these other 4 guys terribly well but I'll assume they are just good craic and we are not looking for anything seedy or anything like that. Just a good old time.
    I'm leaning strongly towards Vegas but know very little about LA

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not necessarily LA itself, but you can have a reasonable time in the various surrounding areas such as Huntington Beach. San Diego is nearby and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Drive up to Vegas from LA in a convertible mustang, early morning and cut through the Mojave desert.

That way you get do something cool on the way and you see some more stuff. LA driving is an experience in itself. Get a car though. You can definitely get it under expenses from your job because public transport is not tourist friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

If you've a few days to kill and you've been to LV, then I'd say stay in LA. There's lots to do and see, including obviously the nightlife.

I haven't been there in a good few years, but I really enjoyed LA anytime I was there, and all on work trips.

As previous poster said, renting a convertible and blasting out into the Mojave is worth it. Even if you're not going all the way to LV.

Just cruisin' around LA itself is cool, especially as you recognise so many locations from movies (big mall in Torrance is from Jackie Brown for example).

Remember though that LA is big, really big. Greater LA is about the size of Leinster. Sepulveda Boulevard is about 42 miles long, and I think there's a few longer streets.

Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Redondo and all areas on the central coastal area are great to spend time in. Hennessy's bar in Redondo is good (though admittedly, it's over 10 years since I was there).

And of course, there's lots of theme parks - though I'd skip Disney if you haven't got kids along. Magic Mountain is good.

Advertisement